Audi TT Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
What is your mod list Delmar?
My software is from HPA, my downpipe too.
CTS catch can Africa plate, upgraded the CTS catch can to a Racingline catch can with drain valve. Racingline Cold Air Intake, CTS turbo muffler delete, racingline magnetic oil, HALDEX, and differential plugs.
CTS dog Bone mount insert, aluminum dog bone bar, aluminum intercooler charge pipes, a GFB style diverter valve upgrade with an aluminum VTO diverter spacer. A cp3 vent OBD2 gauge.
A stage 1 mechanical water methanol injection system from Snow Performance/ Nitrous Xpress. CTS throttle body spacer with methanol injection hole.
R8 coils, & a turbo blanket, ECS two piece vented and drilled front rotors with Prodigy Werks four piston brake calipers and pads and SS brake lines.
New rear rotors and pads from Brembo.
Thicker Rear suspension mounts to raise the rear end.
17x9 (17lb) Advanti Racing Storm S1 wheels with NITTO N555 tires (summer) Continental Viking 7 tires (winter).

Will be adding an intake manifold flapper delete with the HPA software, a DSG tune, transmission service with upgraded CTS filter housing. A new intercooler, a new rear spoiler. Some aero items. Front and rear sway bars and strut tower braces.

Maybe a head unit in the future.....

Not alot really.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I started out with a Revo tune. Went straight to stage 2 from stock. Revo works well for anything up to stage 2, after that, it started getting problematic. I now have a custom stage 3 tune from Dynodrome. Runs like a dream.

BTW, an mk6 golf R downpipe fits like a glove.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Stage 2 is much..... much..... faster. The reaction time is night and day, zero turbo lag. I'll dyno the car after the RFD delete and the WMI is installed. There's no point in doing it any other way.

I'm staying stage 2 for the foreseeable future, because it's acceleration should be criminal at this point. Let me rephrase, the car is much quicker in any part of the Rev range. Speed is a number, but fast is a feeling & my ads dyno could clearly feel the difference between stage 1 & 2.

Best.

Good luck with your journey.

Best

Only on a quattro though, good luck on it transferring onto usable power on a FWD

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Running 271bhp through my front wheels is ridiculous at this time of year, especially with lightweight wheels. Got half an eye on an S1, S3 or Golf R at the moment or a Mk3 TTS. How do they tame the Clubsport GTI? FWD isn't it? Still would like to improve on what I have trying to tame my fwd beast :ROFLMAO: . Quite like the challenge. Or I might pack it up and get a campervan. :unsure:

·
Registered
2013 TFSI S Line Quattro
39 Posts
You have an IHI turbo, it's what mine has. Hooray, us CESA owners seem to be a rare breed on here :ROFLMAO: .
I have a stage 1 remap and it's running 271bhp and 407nm of torque (just over 300 lbft). Stage 2 may make you another 20 to 30 bhp and 50nm. Not sure it's worth the extra outlay.
so i am in the same boat and wrestling with the idea of going to stage 2 but weighing up the options, mines a 2013 TFSI EA888 CESA as well with a stage 1, downpipes,decat,ram air etc.. not sure what the figures are but would guess around 280? Trying to decide if its worth the money of going for an airtec intercooler and stage 2 for the sake of getting to like 300bhp? wondering if anyone else here has the same setup

·
Registered
125 Posts
so i am in the same boat and wrestling with the idea of going to stage 2 but weighing up the options, mines a 2013 TFSI EA888 CESA as well with a stage 1, downpipes,decat,ram air etc.. not sure what the figures are but would guess around 280? Trying to decide if its worth the money of going for an airtec intercooler and stage 2 for the sake of getting to like 300bhp? wondering if anyone else here has the same setup
Hello my friend,

Stage 2 with the upgraded hardware drastically improved my car and it's acceleration. The question is what do you want to feel? If you want lots of top end power get a K04 or a G series from Garrett.

I've read that alot of the stage 2 ihi cars are maxed out around 300hp 300+TQ, compared to the Volkswagen golfs that have a K03 and top out around 280hp. Most tuners will sell you a VW k03 tune (because they cater to the masses instead of individual cars). If you download your OTS tune from the cloud, than that's probably what you got. HPA emails you your tune after reading the exact engine information and calibrates for it, therefore it's not a typical cloud tune.

That being said I have also read of a few euro guys running the stock IHI turbo with a slightly larger compressor wheel and on a stage 2 tune making 320+ HP while retaining great spool up.

The limiting factor for any turbo is it's efficiency map. 20psi in the intake manifold means that the turbo is producing 25-30psi which could really be beyond its effectiveness. All that extra air has become increasingly HOT which is not what you want, that's why you need an upgraded intercooler to offset the hot charge.

This is why I am installing my WMI system. It is proven to lower AIT by 10 - 50 degrees and the added benefit of higher octane allows for a safer burn of increased boost.

I've decided that my next step in my cars evolution will be suspension and aerodynamics. No point in making more power if I can't effectively put it down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What's your suspension plans?
Basic mount inserts, undercarriage inserts, sway bars and strut bars, and possibly, better mounts, basically increasing stiffness of the car. But that's alot of $$ to install those parts for very minimal gain. The difference in improvement is seen while driving to its potential. Keeping body role in check will help in acceleration and deceleration, and has also been proven to make a car go faster around a corner.

·
Registered
2013 TFSI S Line Quattro
39 Posts
Hello my friend,

Stage 2 with the upgraded hardware drastically improved my car and it's acceleration. The question is what do you want to feel? If you want lots of top end power get a K04 or a G series from Garrett.

I've read that alot of the stage 2 ihi cars are maxed out around 300hp 300+TQ, compared to the Volkswagen golfs that have a K03 and top out around 280hp. Most tuners will sell you a VW k03 tune (because they cater to the masses instead of individual cars). If you download your OTS tune from the cloud, than that's probably what you got. HPA emails you your tune after reading the exact engine information and calibrates for it, therefore it's not a typical cloud tune.

That being said I have also read of a few euro guys running the stock IHI turbo with a slightly larger compressor wheel and on a stage 2 tune making 320+ HP while retaining great spool up.

The limiting factor for any turbo is it's efficiency map. 20psi in the intake manifold means that the turbo is producing 25-30psi which could really be beyond its effectiveness. All that extra air has become increasingly HOT which is not what you want, that's why you need an upgraded intercooler to offset the hot charge.

This is why I am installing my WMI system. It is proven to lower AIT by 10 - 50 degrees and the added benefit of higher octane allows for a safer burn of increased boost.

I've decided that my next step in my cars evolution will be suspension and aerodynamics. No point in making more power if I can't effectively put it down.

thanks for the info! a good read! tbh i was only looking to do the Airtec inter cooler and stage 2, id be happy (for now) with 310/330BHP - i would consider the turbo upgrade but then you're looking at spending like £3K plus..... ive already spent good £4000 on mods, probably another £1000 for the inter-cooler and stage 2.... anymore and i may as well have bought an RS
Looking to do some more track days in the spring/summer so just wanted it ready and prepped for that really - not really after ridic undriveable power gains as its my day to day

cheers for the info on the turbos though - is there a massive difference between the K03 and K04 turbos and are they a pretty straight / simple swap over or is a lot more involved?

·
Registered
125 Posts
thanks for the info! a good read! tbh i was only looking to do the Airtec inter cooler and stage 2, id be happy (for now) with 310/330BHP - i would consider the turbo upgrade but then you're looking at spending like £3K plus..... ive already spent good £4000 on mods, probably another £1000 for the inter-cooler and stage 2.... anymore and i may as well have bought an RS
Looking to do some more track days in the spring/summer so just wanted it ready and prepped for that really - not really after ridic undriveable power gains as its my day to day

cheers for the info on the turbos though - is there a massive difference between the K03 and K04 turbos and are they a pretty straight / simple swap over or is a lot more involved?

IMHO, Upgrading the intercooler is a must at stage 2 as it will help prevent ridiculously high AIT more efficiently than the OEM unit.

The K03 looks similar to the IHI, but the IHI is much bigger. There have been instances where guys have bought the CTS K04 and realized that the IHI was a bigger turbo. I've seen a few comparisons side by side where the new owner indicated that the CTS K04 was infact a K03 with a bigger compressor wheel and turbine wheel, but nothing like a scientific measurement check.

That being said I have yet to see a K03 put next to an IHI turbo as most don't upgrade to an IHI turbo. The K03 is more of a VW thing and since there was so much RND in upgrading the older VW'S I guess everything available for our Audi TT Quattro is based off a VW golf part.

Here's a video of the Audi TT IHI compared to a VW K03 (BGKKK)

The biggest problem within the community today is incorrect information. I'll post some turbo info that took me a few hours to collect.

Here's the info off my YouTube video.

Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia Darkness

As you can see, the K03 has a much smaller turbine and compressor wheel. The K03 will spool faster than a IHI but looses all steam after 5000rpm where as we loose it around 6000rpm.

I just realized that I made a mistake in the description of our turbo in the video (blame it on lack of sleep). It's not a IHI-JH5 but rather a IHI-RHF5. I will correct that within the next hour.

Here's a link to the video.

·
Registered
2013 TFSI S Line Quattro
39 Posts
IMHO, Upgrading the intercooler is a must at stage 2 as it will help prevent ridiculously high AIT more efficiently than the OEM unit.

The K03 looks similar to the IHI, but the IHI is much bigger. There have been instances where guys have bought the CTS K04 and realized that the IHI was a bigger turbo. I've seen a few comparisons side by side where the new owner indicated that the CTS K04 was infact a K03 with a bigger compressor wheel and turbine wheel, but nothing like a scientific measurement check.

That being said I have yet to see a K03 put next to an IHI turbo as most don't upgrade to an IHI turbo. The K03 is more of a VW thing and since there was so much RND in upgrading the older VW'S I guess everything available for our Audi TT Quattro is based off a VW golf part.

Here's a video of the Audi TT IHI compared to a VW K03 (BGKKK)

The biggest problem within the community today is incorrect information. I'll post some turbo info that took me a few hours to collect.

Here's the info off my YouTube video.

View attachment 480780

As you can see, the K03 has a much smaller turbine and compressor wheel. The K03 will spool faster than a IHI but looses all steam after 5000rpm where as we loose it around 6000rpm.

I just realized that I made a mistake in the description of our turbo in the video (blame it on lack of sleep). It's not a IHI-JH5 but rather a IHI-RHF5. I will correct that within the next hour.

Here's a link to the video.

ok that more sense, so not a lot use switching it for a K03 at all then - but the K04 on the RS3 looks to be a good trade up

·
Registered
125 Posts
ok that more sense, so not a lot use switching it for a K03 at all then - but the K04 on the RS3 looks to be a good trade up
You could upgrade to a K04 or you could just upgrade your compressor wheel and housing.

Photograph White Black Grey Creative arts

Photograph White Art Grey Silver

Automotive tire Font Rim Automotive wheel system Circle

Creative arts Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part Electric blue

There's a few options, you could simply get an 11 blade stock sized wheel (the housing will still need to be machined) a slightly larger compressor wheel like show by kinugawa or you can take a much larger compressor wheel from another IHI Turbo like the one used the the WRX.

Since my car is my daily, once it's time for me to service my turbo, I'll be upgrading it with the 43/56 compressor wheel and keeping my stage 2 tune. That should at the very least add another 40HP and 50TQ. There's really no point in having more power on the public roads.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Basic mount inserts, undercarriage inserts, sway bars and strut bars, and possibly, better mounts, basically increasing stiffness of the car. But that's alot of $$ to install those parts for very minimal gain. The difference in improvement is seen while driving to its potential. Keeping body role in check will help in acceleration and deceleration, and has also been proven to make a car go faster around a corner.
I've put in the front strut bar, a thicker rear sway bar and am looking at installing a lower gearbox mount insert (which I've owned for over a year). I also have the whiteline anti lift kit sat in the garage.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've put in the front strut bar, a thicker rear sway bar and am looking at installing a lower gearbox mount insert (which I've owned for over a year). I also have the whiteline anti lift kit sat in the garage.
It's crazy how many of us have parts just lying around waiting to be installed.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts