Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Could someone please tell me what my tyre pressures should be? The manual says it should be on the door pillar but I only have an airbag sticker. I've checked both doors, under bonnet and fuel cap.

I have a TTR 07. 2.0L TFSI. TYRES 225/50 R17 98Y

Many thanks

Nick

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Borrowed from another topic here:

I have the same size and I have them on 2.2 front and 1.9 rear. Which tyres are on yours and how would you rate them? Especially interested since yours are 98Y and mine are 94W. There aren't a lot of 94Wtyres around, so I may have to switch to 98Y in order to get something modern. But I am afraid that they are too hard.

Anyway: check the wear pattern. Should be even. Run at a pressure too high and they'll wear faster in the middle. Too low and they'll wear faster at the outer parts of the thread.

Oh and by the way: I don't have a sticker on mine too... Seems common on early models.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
TT-driver you beat me to the post! Since I went to the trouble of taking my own photo, and also your link doesn't open for me, I will put mine up anyway.

In UK money, your tyres should be at 32psi front and 26psi rear. Can't understand why you should have no sticker. It's a safety/convenience thing, so it really should be there. Maybe someone got a bit enthusiastic with de-badging the car?

·
Registered
356 Posts
ok, whilst we're here, when is the best time to check/set tyre pressures? when cold or after a few miles/steady speed ie a short commute? (i set mine cold)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I was told never to do it on a cold morning or after a long run. I was told to do it pretty much as soon as i got in the car within 10-15min.

Dont know if thats the way its meant to be....

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,359 Posts
Hi, Perhaps not on a freezing cold morning but normal ambient temps not a prob.
Definately not after a long run as pressure will in increase with tyre temp.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
If you don't have a pump or compressor at home, best is to pump the tyres a bit above recommended value at a fuel station and check at home the next morning with a proper gauge. Then let air out to lower to the recommended value. Tyre pressure equipment at fuel stations is often showing wrong figures.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
LOL.

Four passengers? Riiiiiiight.....

Also, I find it interesting that every time I take my car in for service, it comes back with the all four at 40psi. Yeah, it rides very rough with those pressures.

I can't understand why anyone would remove that sticker from your door.

·
Registered
984 Posts
talk-torque said:
TT-driver you beat me to the post! Since I went to the trouble of taking my own photo, and also your link doesn't open for me, I will put mine up anyway.

In UK money, your tyres should be at 32psi front and 26psi rear. Can't understand why you should have no sticker. It's a safety/convenience thing, so it really should be there. Maybe someone got a bit enthusiastic with de-badging the car?[/quote]

... or may be it's been in an accident and they've not replaced the sticker? Quite common when the repair isn't done at an Audi dealer ...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
MoreGooderTT said:
Also, I find it interesting that every time I take my car in for service, it comes back with the all four at 40psi. Yeah, it rides very rough with those pressures.
It'll screw up the handling too. The lower the rear tyre pressure the more oversteer you get, so this set up is going to exacerbate the understeer. I tend to have the rear tyres a bit lower than 26 to try and counteract the understeer.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

Many thanks for the info. I'm not sure it even had a sticker there previously, i can't see any marks. The airbag sticker is in the exact place that pictures show i should have the tyre info.

I have pirelli P7's. Seems to handle fine around corners etc. The main issue i have with these tyres is i struggle pulling off in the wet. I may have a slightly heavy right foot, but i woudn't say i push it that much when it starts spinning. The fronts also seem to be wearing down very quickly! Too quick to be spending £170+ per tyre!

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. How is the noise and does it flex enough to absorb the small road imperfections?
Correct tyre pressure optimises grip, but I guess all tyres will struggle putting 100 Horses on to a wet road.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ESP always on, i'm a good boy :)

I've not driven this type of car with any other tyres on so i can't really compare - But IMO the road noise is pretty good, lumps and bumps in the road seem to be absorbed pretty well. But then thats in comparison to my Ford Puma i had previous to this.... But yea, i don't get much noise at all they seem really soft :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
What are those of you with 19's running your pressure at? Yesterday i got new Michelin pilot super sports on the car and the tyre shop inflated all tyres to 40 psi the idiots.

Do you follow the door card and inflate as Audi recommends? Any wear issues?

Cheers
Homer

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Homerlovesbeer said:
What are those of you with 19's running your pressure at? Yesterday i got new Michelin pilot super sports on the car and the tyre shop inflated all tyres to 40 psi the idiots.

Cheers
Homer
32psi front - 26psi rear

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
MXS said:
Homerlovesbeer said:

Cheers
Homer
32psi front - 26psi rear
+1

I think anything over or under would probably cause uneven wear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts