Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been having very excessive inside front tyre wear.

A few weeks ago i was asking for possible wheel alignment centers in my area (London) that can be recommended but i didnt have any replys.

Anyway, i decide to go to a place today (Mrityre) and have my alignment sorted. The chap hooked the car up to the machine and then produced some figures that showed my front right toe was out (reading 0.28 degrees) and my front left camber was out (reading -0.16 degrees). He then told me that they had managed to sort the toe but could not sort the camber as you need to have a special tool from Audi to do that... is this true?

Does anyone here know much about wheel alignment? Im just wondering if the toe correction would have sorted my front inner tire wear before i go through another set of tyres [smiley=bigcry.gif] and thinking about it, as the camber that is out (which he couldnt adjust) is more positive then it should be (ie should have been approx -1.25 degrees) wouldnt this cause outside tire wear?

Is there any other suggestions for my inside front only tyre wear?

Can i get the camber checked? (any suggestions )

All help appreciated :?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I got the same story about not being able to adjust the camber when I had mine done! I don't understand why it can't be adjusted as the three bolts on the lower balljoint fit into slotted holes on the wishbone. I suppose you would have to take the weight off the wheel to make the adjustment and then drive it around a bit for it to settle before checking. Most likely a case of can't be arsed rather than not being able to do it.

My TT has completely standard suspension and since having my tracking done, despite the fact that the camber on one of my front wheels is out, my four tyres have worn evenly across (and I'm more than half way through them).

If i get chance later I'll scan the print off and put it on here for you to compare.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Here's the scan. I remember now that the reason I had the tracking done was there was such a ridiculous amount of toe on the rear wheels that the car jumped sideways when I hit a pothole!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

For some reason my print out says: sport suspension (pqz,g98). Mine is a 2001, 225, standard set up, i hope they havnt buggered it up even more!

Were you getting any tyre wear at all or just the back jumping. I only got my fronts done as the backs wasnt causing any issues. Im still not sure why i was getting tyre wear on both insides even though i have a more positive camber reading then standard. It should put weight to the outside of the wheel..i think

Im just confused

Thanks for your help though, appreciated

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I had the tracking done as soon as I got the car so I don't know how the tyres would have worn with the tracking set as it was.

My guess would be that it's the toe setting that's most likely to cause increased tyre wear. The greater the toe the more the wheels will be fighting each other and increasing friction between the tyre and road.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge on tracking may be able to elaborate?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.