Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
10,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are plenty of scattered threads around the forum about various different aftermarket units and often people ask and the odd one is suggested without any further information. 📚

So everybody - time to contribute 🤓 - write a review of your aftermarket head unit and post it here, or even on another thread. I (or a mod) can periodically update this thread with links to the relevant post.

Reviews

Guides

Writing your review
Try and cover these points on your review
  • Manufacturer, Model, the year you bought it and the approximate retail price at the time
  • A photo powered on, a photo powered off
  • Steering wheel integration - how much works
  • DIS integration - how much works
  • Interface, how is media sorted and interacted with?
  • Sat-nav, who provides it, are there map updates available, can custom POI be added, speed camera alerts?
  • If Android etc, what version, and does it appear to be up-datable?
  • Media support (DAB, MP3, CD, DVD, FLAC, 3.5mm socket, AMI, whatever)
  • Connectivity (Bluetooth (just streaming, or other functions?), screen sharing, wifi, 3/4G, carrier pigeon)
  • Ease of installation (we don't need a guide, just if there are any gotchas specific for this model)
  • Most important of all: what does it sound like? Is there any EQ or adjustment available to the sound?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi all and thank you Dash for allowing me to kick off this thread.

Manufacturer: XTRONS
Model: PF75ATTAR
Purchased: August 2016
Retail Price: $495.23AUD (Purchased from eBay store. Was significantly cheaper than the manufacturer website)

14429199_10157775126980508_756647784_n.jpg

Steering wheel integration: Very good. Everything works. The volume scroller works great and pushing in mutes the audio. The voice control button will answer/hang up a phone call. The directional scroller works to change song or radio station. The directional scroller will not work with Spotify.

DIS integration: OK at best. Radio stations are displayed as a mHz figure on the DIS, not RDS name. Volume will show up when you change it, but often will show up and not disappear. If you use the onboard CD deck, it will read out the elapsed time as a 00:00:00 figure. I only use Spotify on my headunit so the top part of the DIS is blank.

Interface: Pretty good for driving. Looks very smart and is easy to use on the move. There is a file manager to reach all the back end stuff but there are 'apps' for CD, Radio, and external. There is a feature called "Element" which allows you to choose any colour for the faceplate illumination. The red matches the original lighting. No need to ground a parking brake check wire either, playing of video while driving can be activated by software. Additionally, there is a "Factory Settings" mode which allows you to get into the back-end of the software. This allows you to do things like alter the functionality of buttons on the face panel and change the Android splash screen to a provided car logo (Audi is included), or you can make your own and apply it. I've made an RNS-E copy which is attached below.

attachment.jpg

I apologise if TTForum has reduced the size or quality, contact me if you require it in full size.

Satnav: I elected to use iGo Navigation. Seems as though TomTom has lost their way over the years... I paid $27AUD for Australian maps, an additional fee (I don't remember) for Text to Speech which includes various voices in various languages, some do announce street names. I then paid an additional $5 for alerts which includes speed camera databases. It's very handy. I recommend changing the speed warnings to visual only and then activation of such warnings to 110% of limit. The Audi TT speedometer is very accurate and I was having my music interrupted every few seconds to tell me about my unsafe 1km/h over the speed limit habits. The map purchase includes a visual representation of the speed limit for any road also. The Navi button on the screen can be assigned to the app of the owners choice, it is originally assigned to Google Maps. Pressing the button again will return you to the previous screen... For example, I'm in Spotify and press Navi. It will open iGo. If I want to change a song I can simply hit Navi again and Spotify will fill the screen. Navigation will resume when Navi is reselected.

Media Support: There are two included USB cables which can be installed easily as required by the driver. It snaps into the loom. DAB+ is a separate purchase. A single deck CD/DVD player is installed but all audio formats should be playable. A2DP Bluetooth audio is provided but total rubbish so don't bother. The unit supports smartphone screen mirroring for Android or iOS. It's OK, but I found it unreliable. Will disconnect with no warning after a while.

Connectivity: Bluetooth is great on this unit, allows me to easily pair a mobile phone or multiple phones. Your phonebook will display on the headunit and it will communicate with a bluetooth OBD tool simultaneously. The headunit has WIFI which is perfect as I have it download my Spotify Premium playlists when I arrive home for offline playing on the go. A 3G dongle can be purchased from manufacturer. Don't waste your money on an external microphone, I asked politely and XTRONS threw this in for free as a gift (I wanted them to throw in the ELM327 Bluetooth OBD tool instead :lol: ). The built in microphone works just fine.

Ease of Installation: To somebody more experienced this will be easier. This car uses four anti theft 'slots' to secure the headunit. You need special tools or a rigid thin plastic in each slot to free the headunit. There is a video on youtube of Dension showing how to remove the Audi Symphony. I had a local car audio shop pop it for me, they charged me $20AUD, my local VW dealership offered to do the job for a staggering $250AUD. The loom is very bulky, make sure you tuck it all nicely away before putting the headunit in, the top clips will 90% of the time go in easily, the lower is challenging. Take a better look at the bracket in the car, there's a rail designed for it to slide in on. If it's not in this rail the lower half will not fit. Overall fitment is very good, small gap on right side of unit (closest to driver on RHD) but have had multiple passengers think it was OEM. I used double sided tape and attached the GPS antenna to a metal bar behind the dashboard. Seems to work just fine.

BEFORE YOU INSTALL: Decide whether or not you want a back-up camera, if not you need to cut the back-up camera wire and tape it with electrical tape.Otherwise when you select reverse, the music will mute and the screen will go black with an exclamation mark in the centre.

So how does it stack up?

Fitment: 9/10
Audio Quality (Standard Audio Equipment): 7/10
Functionality and Flexibility: 8/10
Speed and Performance: 6/10 due to the user being required to clear cache regularly.
Overall integration: 8/10

Total Ranking: 7.5/10
Final Comments: For me, Satnav is mandatory in a car. I'm no fan of standalone GPS, and having a mobile phone free standing in a cockpit is dangerous. The XTRONS integrates well into the dashboard and is very easy to live with for daily driving. I'm pleased with the unit despite the little nigglies such as the poor cache management. Price was fair, it does what it promises to and customer service is excellent. Though, if the car had RNS-E I would likely not have made the change to XTRONS.

I hope I've been able to make the decision making process easier for potential buyers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
anth1234 said:
I apologise if TTForum has reduced the size or quality, contact me if you require it in full size.
Click on the image to have it shown in the original resolution.

Thanks for your input! Great write-up! :)

·
Registered
10,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for kicking this off Anth, great review. It's really handy to know how people get on with these things in real life so much better than just reading a spec sheet!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Dash said:
Thanks for kicking this off Anth, great review. It's really handy to know how people get on with these things in real life so much better than just reading a spec sheet!
Agreed!!

@anth1234
would you recommend this unit based on sound quality and performance compared to the stock sound systems?

·
Registered
115 Posts
ldhxvs said:
Dash said:
Agreed!!

@anth1234
would you recommend this unit based on sound quality and performance compared to the stock sound systems?
First thoughts following the removal of the Audi Symphony were that the XTRONS headunit sounds no where near as good. As expected though. They do stammer on about the graphical live EQ, which is great but I feel a lot of low-end frequencies are lost. For the functionality though, this is a fine trade-off. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible! But it's not nearly as good as the stock unit.

Performance is rather good! RAM fills up quickly and you will have to press the "speed" software button every few days.

I recommend it, best upgrade for the money I think.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Stealth69 said:
Buy direct from the xtrons website.... sign up to their news letter as a VIP (which is free) and get 15% off of your first order
Dude! If only I were not saving up for MSS springs I would totally get one right now with this discount. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: I don't have the Xtrons MTCD unit, but my current android MTCB has much better music quality from internal storage than my symphony even with the hissing sound. Radio reception is pretty poor though, but I only use Spotify for streaming and Poweramp for external SSD.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
My son has a xtron unit in his golf and were just about to remove it !!
The sound quality and control is TERRIBLE

The fit and interaction with the car is great but as a sound system it's poor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Looking at the ISO connector that came with mine it will be easy enough to bypass the internal amp with a decent external amp to sort the sound out possibly...... if the sound quality is that shit I will be trying that approach lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Stealth69 said:
Buy direct from the xtrons website.... sign up to their news letter as a VIP (which is free) and get 15% off of your first order
I read about this, the shipping is what killed me though. Also the USD conversion was damaging. They have an Australian eBay store (for whatever reason) which worked out cheaper. Good information to know and thanks for sharing anyway

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Great Post...I'm thinking of installing one of these in my TTS, it currently has RNS-E with Bose, do you know if it will be a straight forward installation or does the Bose complicate things? Does it come with all the required cables/adapters etc? Will my roof GPS antenna plug stright into this unit?
I'm quite compitent with eletronics etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dino_Donis said:
Great Post...I'm thinking of installing one of these in my TTS, it currently has RNS-E with Bose, do you know if it will be a straight forward installation or does the Bose complicate things? Does it come with all the required cables/adapters etc? Will my roof GPS antenna plug stright into this unit?
I'm quite compitent with eletronics etc.

Cheers
I don't believe the GPS antenna is compatible, but I'm not sure! I have a shark fin on mine but there is an external GPS antenna provided. Does the job fine!

As for BOSE, I'd imagine it'd be plug and play... it connects into stock loom but this may be a question for manufacturer as I have the standard system.

Otherwise it's a straight plug and play! No need to run through the cables to find accessories or any of that trivial shit we used to.

I attached one USB cable to the back of the unit which I ran into the glove box. Hides away beautiful, I am happy to provide pics if required.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Removing a rns-e to fit a xtron ???
To gain what ??

·
Registered
10,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd like to swap out my RNS-e at some point, to something that has a better satnav (CoPilot has been a favourite of mine for ages), but most importantly one with a better amp/equaliser in it. If you don't have Bose the output of the HU isn't fantastic.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
My sons xtron is output to his Rockford fossgate amps, and subs
The audio control is terrible
All relied on there graphic eq which is shite

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
ReTTro fit said:
Removing a rns-e to fit a xtron ???
To gain what ??

RNS-E is very outdated now. I don't use the sat nav as only 4-digit postcode entry, the maps are expensive and its just very clunky entering stuff plus I have the older model which only supports 2GB SD cards which is very frustrating. Also not able to stream bluetooth music from phone. I use my phone for sat nav and i have a choice of what app to use - i usually use Google maps/Here...
I've had my TTS for over 5 years now and feel it just needs modernising inside - and no I can't afford a MK3!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I hada BOSE Sat Nav unit! Last week just replaced the system with:

1) Pioneer App Radio.
2) Steering wheel controls.
3) Twin USB's in glove.
3) Stunning Hertz Fronts + Tweeters.
4) Hertz Amp in boot,
5) JL Sub in boot!

All hidden under the normal boot and sounds a million times better that standard!

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Bose is totally independent from the stereo / Nav, has nothing to do with which stereo you have mate

1 - 20 of 342 Posts