Audi TT Forum banner
321 - 340 of 351 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
af_135y said:
It looks like the CTSAD00C.2 includes the CTSAD002.2 (quad lock) plus an ISO loom, looking at the pictures. Their description also mentions supplying both types of connector. You don't need the ISO version. To be sure, just drop them an email.
You'll be connecting the HU upto the RCA connectors on the new loom, which are connected to the white rectangular section in the quadlock.
I will check with Conects2

af_135y said:
What year is your car? I vaguely remember reading about later models having amps that needed to be switched on by canbus? Maybe that's what they mean by digital amp..? Mine's 2009 and was all fine.
2011 - restyling with the updated front bumper.
I read the same about the amps remoted by canbus. It seems that the "no sound" with aftermarket HU can be avoided with VCDS on the module 47.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@fintt987, it's been fine. Performs much better than a £120 unit should.

After a few months usage, I will say the following. I definitely prefer the sound over the Concert unit, but as the OEM amp and speakers were retained I am assuming this is because of the flexibility of the new EQ against the pre-EQ'd/limited tone controls of the Concert unit. I like a bright treble, but for the first time I've actually EQ'd the higher frequencies below 0.

I had to replace the aerial adapter after a few weeks, as there was distortion even when listening to strong stations. It's been OK since. I do miss DAB though, as this unit only has FM/AM, and there is no neat way to add it according to Atoto support. My car doesn't have steering wheel controls, and Atoto sell a unit that straps onto the steering wheel. It's ugly as hell though, otherwise I'd have considered that.

Despite driving only 1500 miles this past year, I've used Android Auto a good few times. Mixed results, but mostly good overall. It works every single time, and allows full control of Maps, Spotify, TuneIn, Messages, News etc. but has frozen on a few occasions - once while using Maps and I missed a junction. Each time all I did was press the Home button, then the Android Auto icon and it all returned. Navigation was maintained and the correct music source/song etc. Not the biggest hassle, but a glitch nonetheless. Whether this can be attributed to the head unit or my phone, I cannot confirm as I only have one phone. The manual states that the original USB cable supplied with the phone should be used, which I do. But the sheathing on this is split/open at the phone end which may be affecting connection. I don't have Apple, so cannot comment on CarPlay.

Other points... The unit has the facility to remember the volume of each source separately, which is very useful. 'Panel illumination' is misspelt in the settings! The reverse camera annoyingly overrides all other controls. The volume buttons are physical buttons, but they don't work when the camera is on. If you have steering wheel controls, they may work, but the buttons definitely don't. Unlike the OEM installation, the unit switches off the instant the ignition is off. I'd prefer to be able to power it up with the ignition off whilst parked, but this isn't available. That's all I can think of for now. All from memory as I haven't driven it for a couple of weeks!

·
Premium Member
2009 TT Roadster 2.0 TFSI (BWA), white
29 Posts
I fitted an Xtrons octa core system (PBX70ATT) into my Mk2 convertible last week, it's a non- bose car so using standard audi amp and everything is working great, love the new head unit but one thing I've noticed is that despite using the same amp the volume is not as high as the original concert unit. Has anyone found a way to increase the line level output on these units to get a bit more volume?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
mdickens98 said:
I fitted an Xtrons octa core system (PBX70ATT) into my Mk2 convertible last week, it's a non- bose car so using standard audi amp and everything is working great, love the new head unit but one thing I've noticed is that despite using the same amp the volume is not as high as the original concert unit. Has anyone found a way to increase the line level output on these units to get a bit more volume?
In the EQ options ia a "loud" option there, and then you can up the pre-amp slider too for more "volume".

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have the Xtrons head unit installed in my new to me car. Have since I got it upgraded the firmware with Hal9k Mod 4.0 and added a CarPlay wired and wireless dongle.
So far so good.
However, everyone I call complain about dreadful call quality. I have no mic installed, so assume the mic in front of the head unit is the one used.
Can I improve the call by adding a dedicated mic?
If so, do you have any recommendations based on experience.

PS: I am a sucker for details and would like to avoid anything that is looking very aftermarket and out of order, so bonus points if there are mics that may be installed in the original overhead cluster or hidden out of view.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Sophus said:
I have the Xtrons head unit installed in my new to me car. Have since I got it upgraded the firmware with Hal9k Mod 4.0 and added a CarPlay wired and wireless dongle.
So far so good.
However, everyone I call complain about dreadful call quality. I have no mic installed, so assume the mic in front of the head unit is the one used.

PS: I am a sucker for details and would like to avoid anything that is looking very aftermarket and out of order, so bonus points if there are mics that may be installed in the original overhead cluster or hidden out of view.
Here is an ideia!!

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Sophus said:
So far so good.

If purchasing an aftermarket microphone look out for Fiscon, they are on eBay, Amazon etc

48E4AC6E-4028-4942-AB65-0BD15D7324D3.jpeg

https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/produc ... e-upgrade/

Many head units have a microphone included in the box that is designed to operate correctly with that unit and so this, if available, should be used.

When using the supplied microphone this may not fit the microphone holder in the light cluster correctly, if so wrap some thin open cell foam around the outside to make the microphone a snug fit - avoiding covering the (monitoring) hole at the end of the microphone of course.

06413786-582C-47B9-A35C-BA83776EE8EC.jpeg

A most important tip whatever microphone you decide to use iis to wrap the lead in Tessa cloth tape, this will help stop noise reaching the microphone by stopping the lead from vibrating/rattling

E15754F6-367E-4D09-AAFF-6866A6C213C0.jpeg

Good luck fitting the microphone, I always wear gloves when removing trim panels as I find they can have a tendency to bite back :eek: :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
F3rnando said:
mdickens98 said:
In the EQ options ia a "loud" option there, and then you can up the pre-amp slider too for more "volume".
Where is the Pre-amp slider, can't see it in the EQ? Any idea if a firmware upgrade is needed to improve things?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
mdickens98 said:
F3rnando said:
mdickens98 said:
Where is the Pre-amp slider, can't see it in the EQ? Any idea if a firmware upgrade is needed to improve things?
The loudness button didn't raise the volume? What is the android version on the device ?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
F3rnando said:
Sophus said:
So far so good.

Here is an ideia!!
Thank you both of you for your advice. Ended up ordering the Enfig mic, based on favorable reviews. Hope it improves call quality.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
The loudness button didn't raise the volume? What is the android version on the device ?
It's on Android 10, the loudness button definitely helped and it sounds pretty good but it's still not as loud as the OEM head unit. I'm thinking I might just install an after market amp then run new wiring and upgrade all the speakers but that could quickly become an expensive and big job

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Have the Xtrons, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Sound quality in a call is horrible according to those I call. So I bought an external mic (Enig AUD4), fitted it well with Tessa velour tape wrapping and everything and connected it to the female 3.5 mm jack at the harness coming from the Xtron, labeled "Mic". However, the call quality is just as bad after the new mic was hooked up.

Do I now have two mics active?
Do I need to turn off the internal mic in the unit somehow? Can I turn it off?
Or did I do something wrong with the connection? Is that Mic-labeled connector for something not phone related?

Upgraded to Hal9K Mod 4. the Bluetooth module driver selected is noe Wq_BC6. Is this the correct one for the octa version? Don't remember what it used to be. Will experiment with other options.
Don't have the instructions for the Xtrons unit unfortunately as it was in fitted by the previous owner.
Would appreciate a hint. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
F3rnando said:
I use an app called Poweramp pro, imo the best app for music with a dedicated EQ and lots of stuff fo tweak sound.
What rom is in the device, is it a cooked one or OTA ?
Not sure what you mean by 'cooked one' but it's the stock firmware that Xtrons supply. Regardless, I've found out the audio issue is down to a combination of Spotify and Android Auto. If I play a CD its louder (and sounds slightly clearer too), I tried downloading an mp3 and playing that straight off the unit too and that's louder so it seems Spotify is doing something to the audio resulting in it being quieter. Bit of a shame as having Spotify in the car is really handy, but at least I know it's not faulty.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
mdickens98 said:
F3rnando said:
I use an app called Poweramp pro, imo the best app for music with a dedicated EQ and lots of stuff fo tweak sound.
What rom is in the device, is it a cooked one or OTA ?
Not sure what you mean by 'cooked one' but it's the stock firmware that Xtrons supply. Regardless, I've found out the audio issue is down to a combination of Spotify and Android Auto. If I play a CD its louder (and sounds slightly clearer too), I tried downloading an mp3 and playing that straight off the unit too and that's louder so it seems Spotify is doing something to the audio resulting in it being quieter. Bit of a shame as having Spotify in the car is really handy, but at least I know it's not faulty.
A cooked ota rom is a aftermarket rom...
On spotify go to settings and disable normalize volume , and try the volume level setting also.

Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to share my experience with upgrading the standard Audi Symphony head unit (with Bose) in the hopes that it would help others. Before upgrading, I did a lot of research on different head units (Kenwood, JVC as well as Chinese brands like Xtrons) and the main reason for purchasing a Chinese branded unit was that they look OEM as well seem to be more compatible with the Bose (I read a lot of articles with units being upgraded and no sound due to the Bose amplifiers not being signalled to turn on).

After review discussion (https://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2003463) and related YouTube videos, I ordered a PX6 unit from AliExpress on Jun 21st (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000860135257.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.41534c4d2SqJcj) and after responding to a query from the seller (asking car details and picture of existing radio to verify I had purchased the correct head unit), the unit arrived on Jun 28th. I purchased unit with Wireless CarPlay and DSP and the extra option of send from European Warehouse (£23.79) and confirmed with seller that the import duty would be covered by the seller.

Box was delivered and once opened, unit was securely packaged with all leads, Head unit removal keys and trim tools (I purchased removal keys and trim tools as well but not needed). Installation was straight forwards. Connecting all the leads into the unit and to the quad lock from the car. I did struggle a little with pushing the head unit back in. Getting the 4 plastic connectors to situate themselves requires a little patience. I did also add a small dense sponge under the radio to take the weight of the unit and this helped to align the radio better.

Head Unit.jpg

My initial impressions if that the head unit sounds better than the OEM symphony. There is a built in DSP which allows a better configuration of the levels. Pairing my iPhone with the unit was straight forward and Wireless Apple CarPlay worked without issues. The first boot time took less than a minute and subsequent load times (from sleep) is within seconds.

As part of this, I also removed the Audi phone cradle unit and installed a Wireless charge mat (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07STBDS6H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which connects to the 5v charge USB from the radio.

Wireless Charger.jpg

My next steps is to install the DAB (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001152198027.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.41534c4d2SqJcj) just arrived and also purchase and install a reversing camera (used to a reversing camera and reverse dip mirrors on my other car). Quite tempted to add a 4G USB dongle for the inbuilt google maps. Not sure if anyone else has done this and if it is worth doing.

Pros:
• Good OEM look
• Large screens (I got the 9" Screen)
• Compatible with addons like DAB, TPMS, Cameras, etc
• Better sound than the OEM radio
• Builtin Wireless Apple Carplay (this was a must to have music and navigation)
• Plug & Play replacement

Cons:
• Radio signal a bit weaker (hopefully address this add a DAB module)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
idbpalacei said:
Make - Kenwwod
Model - DMX8019DABS
Fitted - 3 July 2020

Hi all
After a couple of years going backwards and forwards about whether to replace the old Nav Plus i`ve taken the plunge and had the above unit installed. It was a bit of a love hate relationship with the NP but after a couple of days ownership of the Kenwood i`m glad i`ve done it.

Thanks so much to the guys at Sounds Alarming in Welling , Kent for all there advice and knowledge. Only slight issue during fitting was the BOSE amp on my TTS needed a slightly different connection as first thought but once that was sorted it was a pretty straightforward fit.

They also fitted a reverse camera , DAB aerial and new microphone at the same time as the unit itself.

A lot more to learn but a few of the bullet points after a couple days ownership.

Everything syncing with my Samsung S10 phone. All wireless including mobile mirroring so i have my little tablet including playing Prime , Netflix and I Player etc. Sound is definitely upgraded with lots of options. Maps via Android Auto is great as well as other mapping options. One of the things i was concerned about was the look and potentially spoiling the OEM look but i think it slots in nicely.

As i say early days but impressed so far. Any questions feel free to ask.

Cheers
Ian
Hi, a year later... :D
I see you say "all wireless" with a Samsung (android), does that incluse android auto wireless? Cause as far as I know DMX8019DABS shouldn't have wireless android auto? Only apple carplay wireless and wired android auto..

And also, a year later, still happy with it? :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I see you say "all wireless" with a Samsung (android), does that incluse android auto wireless? Cause as far as I know DMX8019DABS shouldn't have wireless android auto? Only apple carplay wireless and wired android auto..

I suppose i mean there are no wires if you have the right phone etc, You can turn it it no one big tablet if you mirror the phone onto the Kenwood unit once you pair everything up. Sorry probably not explained very well but not that techie

A year down the line...wish id of done it a lot earlier. Really recommend

·
Registered
2 Posts
idbpalacei said:

I suppose i mean there are no wires if you have the right phone etc, You can turn it it no one big tablet if you mirror the phone onto the Kenwood unit once you pair everything up. Sorry probably not explained very well but not that techie

A year down the line...wish id of done it a lot earlier. Really recommend
Alright thanks :)

321 - 340 of 351 Posts