Audi TT Forum banner
341 - 351 of 351 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
idbpalacei said:
Make - Kenwwod
Model - DMX8019DABS
So after a rocky start with my original purchase used form Ebay which had no sound from the mic (returned), I was looking at returning to the original RNS-E however, I managed to get one brand new from a local seller on Facebook for £400. All is good. Udated the firmware to the latest version https://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmware/2019/2019o/eng.html.

Then I managed to change the start up logo to something a little more OEM. Instructions and images along with txt files needed are in a zip attached.

The images below are just the jpgs and can not be used. You must use the images in BMP format as per the included instructions.

I am using it with wireless Apple CarPlay and so far ticks all my boxes. MFSW controls all working with this kit https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/con...6-2014-double-din-car-stereo-fitting-kit.html

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Had this Kenwood head unit fitted to my 2008 TT 6 months ago and it works flawlessly. https://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/c ... X8020DABS/

Not the cheapest I know but it's guaranteed to work. I chose this specifically model for the wireless screen mirroring and Android Auto features.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Folks

Firstly I must apologise if what I ask is covered in the 18 pages of posts previous. The very first unit reviewed on page 1 looks to be almost identical (apart from mine being non-CD) to the unbranded unit I have bought through aliexpress: 119.68US $ 32% OFF|4G RAM 64G ROM Android 10 Car Radio GPS Navigation 2din Autoradio WIFI BT Multimedia Player for Audi TT MK2 8J 2006 2012 RDS DSP|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress
I think perhaps the big difference is that the huge discount buying from aliexpress is offset by things not being 'sorted' & ready out-of-the-box. At the moment I am only getting a stereo output L&R so I can only connect the front or rear speakers, but not both. There is a wiring diagram on the Audi unit, and one on the Aliexpress listing, but still it is confusing. The Audi unit has 'LINE' FL FR RL RR & Earth with very small pins but also LF- LF+ RF- RF+ with large pins in a block of 8 with the other 4 N.C.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

I presume that there is no other amplifier hidden in the car as standard. So which of the connector pins from the Audi unit are actually sending the signal to the speakers?

Thanks for any help
Andrew

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Most UK Mk2 TTs have an amp in the boot located behind the left side pane. If you have a working speaker in the middle of the gash top ( not just the grill) then you have an amp in the the boot. if you have "Bose" badges on your speakers, the the boot amp is a Bose one.

If you have an amp in the boot, then the L&R line outputs from your new HU have to be connected to the amp via the cars existing wiring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Tony, No Bose badges and will have to check on the centre speaker in the dash. Makes sense as the only RR & RL connects on Audi unit are line ones with tiny pins and shared earth, but also strange that the Audi unit is so large at 17cm deep and 2din high. It must have at least a stereo amp built it even if it doesn't use it. As the new unit only has L & R in 'line' then I may be stuffed. It does have powered (I believe) FL,FR,RR,RL, but you don't want to go sending them to the car's amp I bet!

What this cheep Chinese (although everything is made there now) needs is good instructions. If I do manage to work it out so it all works I'll post it all here and review the unit.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The factory HU puts out Front L+R and Rear L&R line level signals. The factory amp in the boot is a five channel amp and requires all four signals and from them derives a centre channel for the speaker in the middle of the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to share my experience with upgrading the standard Audi Symphony head unit (with Bose) in the hopes that it would help others. Before upgrading, I did a lot of research on different head units (Kenwood, JVC as well as Chinese brands like Xtrons) and the main reason for purchasing a Chinese branded unit was that they look OEM as well seem to be more compatible with the Bose (I read a lot of articles with units being upgraded and no sound due to the Bose amplifiers not being signalled to turn on).

After review discussion (Product Review - The New PX6 Android 10 System) and related YouTube videos, I ordered a PX6 unit from AliExpress on Jun 21st (219.62US $ 17% OFF|Android 10 5*USB PX6 4+64G Car Multimedia Player For AUDI TT MK2 2006 2014 TDA7850 Wireless Carplay Bluetooth 5.0 DAB GPS Radio|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress) and after responding to a query from the seller (asking car details and picture of existing radio to verify I had purchased the correct head unit), the unit arrived on Jun 28th. I purchased unit with Wireless CarPlay and DSP and the extra option of send from European Warehouse (£23.79) and confirmed with seller that the import duty would be covered by the seller.

Box was delivered and once opened, unit was securely packaged with all leads, Head unit removal keys and trim tools (I purchased removal keys and trim tools as well but not needed). Installation was straight forwards. Connecting all the leads into the unit and to the quad lock from the car. I did struggle a little with pushing the head unit back in. Getting the 4 plastic connectors to situate themselves requires a little patience. I did also add a small dense sponge under the radio to take the weight of the unit and this helped to align the radio better.

View attachment 466141

My initial impressions if that the head unit sounds better than the OEM symphony. There is a built in DSP which allows a better configuration of the levels. Pairing my iPhone with the unit was straight forward and Wireless Apple CarPlay worked without issues. The first boot time took less than a minute and subsequent load times (from sleep) is within seconds.

As part of this, I also removed the Audi phone cradle unit and installed a Wireless charge mat (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07STBDS6H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which connects to the 5v charge USB from the radio.

View attachment 466145

My next steps is to install the DAB (21.99US $ 25% OFF|Dab Radio Receiver In Car Antenna Digital DAB+ Adapter Tuner Box Audio USB Amplified Loop Antenna Android Decoding Radio Receive|Aerials| - AliExpress) just arrived and also purchase and install a reversing camera (used to a reversing camera and reverse dip mirrors on my other car). Quite tempted to add a 4G USB dongle for the inbuilt google maps. Not sure if anyone else has done this and if it is worth doing.

Pros:
• Good OEM look
• Large screens (I got the 9" Screen)
• Compatible with addons like DAB, TPMS, Cameras, etc
• Better sound than the OEM radio
• Builtin Wireless Apple Carplay (this was a must to have music and navigation)
• Plug & Play replacement

Cons:
• Radio signal a bit weaker (hopefully address this add a DAB module)
If you want to play Spotify or use an app that requires data (via your android phone's 4/5G), does you android phone need to be plugged in or can it be connected via bluetooth/wifi?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looking for opinions from the roadster owners please - Having tried both the RNSE & an early Pioneer Car play unit the Pioneer SPH-DA120 I find the brightness of the Pioneer unit is poor in direct sunlight with the roof down - what are the android units like for this please - any problems - recommendations or avoids please.

341 - 351 of 351 Posts