Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I am not liking my quattro pretend 4wd haldex, soo heavy for very little benefit..if any on a track

I'm removing it to leave my car fwd. Removing;
propshaft
Rear drive shafts
Rear differential and haldex

(Leaving the transfer box in place as the gearbox is coming out in the summer for a flywheel and clutch upgrade, that will be removed then..along with refreshing the gbox)

My question is this , by leaving the haldex simply unplugged, what kind of fault codes will be created by the various modules around the car ..
and can this be removed using VAGCanPro

The engine ECU is ignitron,

Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Are you retarded?

(That's the 1st time I have said that in like 10 or 15 years...I feel cleansed now and before anyone jumps on me... there's a lot of autism and mental health in my family)

You want to drive a 1500kg car with a 380bhp AET Hybrid.. front wheel drive.... why don't bugatti listen to you?... (they use the same fake 4wd haldex)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first generation haldex is pitiful. Yes it works, but it's not a high performance system. My TT vs. a fairly std Impreza, Impreza is far more predictable and more grip.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you retarded?

(That's the 1st time I have said that in like 10 or 15 years...I feel cleansed now and before anyone jumps on me... there's a lot of autism and mental health in my family)

You want to drive a 1500kg car with a 380bhp AET Hybrid.. front wheel drive.... why don't bugatti listen to you?... (they use the same fake 4wd haldex)
Just to Clarify... You don't know then..😆

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I recall Prawn on ASN, ran an 02M in his FWD A3... but that was for entry into the competitions.. and he was 400bhp, but he was also wheel spinning in every gear... and Bill used to put up posts with Cars / turbos / setups etc with a clear 'Non Quattro need not apply'

Maybe you need to get a better controller.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Over 400 hp atm. Wheel spin in 3rd in the dry.

150kg is 10% of the vehicle mass. My car is for Sprinting and Hill climb . Weight is becoming a big factor, not just occasional awd

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Have a read of Karl's thread... he went through a haldex quandary too... including a 50/50 haldex power-valve

Also DJSCoventry went to get their TT upgraded (rods, Aet380 etc) and I think Bill pulled the 50/50 haldex valve and told them to get a HCA kit instead of using that hack.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You keep going around in circles, 😵

I'm interested in how the modules interact, I'm no CanBus expert, I don't want my dashboard lighting up like a Xmas tree..

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
There will be no issues, Pull the fuse for the haldex thinks it's fuse 14. The Haldex system does work well if you use a HPA controller. If your not traction limited then the 4WD system doesn't bring much to the party. Having the HPA you can switch the haldex on and off with the push of a button and with 500bhp and 550Nm of torque my car will spin the wheels in third easily, That's in a straight line on a dry day with 245/35/18 MPSS tyres. I don't have a LSD which I would say would benefit you at your level of power.
Ignitron ECU is a great piece of kit isn't it.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
My question is this , by leaving the haldex simply unplugged, what kind of fault codes will be created by the various modules around the car ..
The one you might see (it might not even light up) is the yellow circle with triangle exclamation mark in it.

Otherwise the errors will just show up in VCDS as the AWD not available.

You will be able to drive the car as per normal and strictly FWD.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There will be no issues, Pull the fuse for the haldex thinks it's fuse 14. The Haldex system does work well if you use a HPA controller. If your not traction limited then the 4WD system doesn't bring much to the party. Having the HPA you can switch the haldex on and off with the push of a button and with 500bhp and 550Nm of torque my car will spin the wheels in third easily, That's in a straight line on a dry day with 245/35/18 MPSS tyres. I don't have a LSD which I would say would benefit you at your level of power.
Ignitron ECU is a great piece of kit isn't it.
it's fuse 31 from the drivers side panel, or you can make the car think the handbrake is on - that might stop a light going on..

·
Registered
2000 8N3 AJQ quattro
231 Posts
Back to the original question.

As stated, you can remove Haldex, and nothing will light up. Haldex is a "listen only" module, it doesn't talk to other modules.

You could make it more predictable with aftermarket bits, but that's it.

For track only, it might be preferable to have it deleted, but keep rear suspension of quattro, as it allows you adjustment for rear axle. It could also open up some classes to compete in, as most classes don't allow 4WD..

For rear axle you need to keep your driveshaft outer stub bolted to hub, as that ties up wheel bearing, but that is all you need to keep from driveshafts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts