Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I maybe taking the engine out at some point to change a few bits and pieces, whilst I'm at is there anything I should be replacing/uprating now I'm running stage 2 and close to 300bhp/330 torque ?

Are the rods needed to be uprated or just a new set ?

Will be fitting a new clutch, possibly exhaust manifold and possibly inlet manifold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,709 Posts
kazinak said:
yes ,you need forged con rods , no point fitting new set of standard ones

close to 300bhp means 260 or 270 :lol: :lol: and 330lbsft sound abit to much for stage 2 aswell
You on the pop??? 330lb/ft is nothing with the new maps that are about... i've hit 380lb/ft with stock rods.. (anything over 340 is a time bomb though) i've got some PEC rods ready to go in... but still not managed it :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,496 Posts
tony_rigby_uk said:
kazinak said:
yes ,you need forged con rods , no point fitting new set of standard ones

close to 300bhp means 260 or 270 :lol: :lol: and 330lbsft sound abit to much for stage 2 aswell
You on the pop??? 330lb/ft is nothing with the new maps that are about... i've hit 380lb/ft with stock rods.. (anything over 340 is a time bomb though) i've got some PEC rods ready to go in... but still not managed it :lol:
What you mean new maps ?
I thought 300-315lbsft is the best what you can get , even seat boys don't get 330lbsft ,and they figures usually mutch higher

Send from my Android using Tapatalk 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
kazinak said:
tony_rigby_uk said:
kazinak said:
yes ,you need forged con rods , no point fitting new set of standard ones

close to 300bhp means 260 or 270 :lol: :lol: and 330lbsft sound abit to much for stage 2 aswell
You on the pop??? 330lb/ft is nothing with the new maps that are about... i've hit 380lb/ft with stock rods.. (anything over 340 is a time bomb though) i've got some PEC rods ready to go in... but still not managed it :lol:
What you mean new maps ?
I thought 300-315lbsft is the best what you can get , even seat boys don't get 330lbsft ,and they figures usually mutch higher

Send from my Android using Tapatalk 2
mind you not many running 2bar boost :lol: still im a bit skeptical about the 380lbs/ft but
maybe ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
tony_rigby_uk said:
kazinak said:
yes ,you need forged con rods , no point fitting new set of standard ones

close to 300bhp means 260 or 270 :lol: :lol: and 330lbsft sound abit to much for stage 2 aswell
You on the pop??? 330lb/ft is nothing with the new maps that are about... i've hit 380lb/ft with stock rods.. (anything over 340 is a time bomb though) i've got some PEC rods ready to go in... but still not managed it :lol:
Tony when you had you manifold fitted the bolts rounded off right? so removed gearbox ?
this might of been the perfect opportunity to remove head to replace manifold
and drop the rods in with a nice new head gasket for additional piece of mind :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,542 Posts
TT SMITHY said:
Matt B said:
I would only consider rifle drilled rods. OEM are rifle drilled and pin oiling is engineered and not just ad hoc.
+1 i got non drilled wish i went for the rifle drilled really,, Matt any news on that machine
shop for drilling the rods ?
Yeah, sorry dude I should have let you know. I gave up on the eng company- they could do it but they wanted me to specify the details, bore size etc. OEM rods have slightly larger than 4mm hole in them (big to little end).
Emailed IE and they have basically offered to drill my rods for a fee - which i am doing. so tomorrow they are going back to ie (and they drill 1.6mm hole!).

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,765 Posts
Matt B said:
TT SMITHY said:
Matt B said:
I would only consider rifle drilled rods. OEM are rifle drilled and pin oiling is engineered and not just ad hoc.
+1 i got non drilled wish i went for the rifle drilled really,, Matt any news on that machine
shop for drilling the rods ?
Yeah, sorry dude I should have let you know. I gave up on the eng company- they could do it but they wanted me to specify the details, bore size etc. OEM rods have slightly larger than 4mm hole in them (big to little end).
Emailed IE and they have basically offered to drill my rods for a fee - which i am doing. so tomorrow they are going back to ie (and they drill 1.6mm hole!).

Matt
ok no problem matt cheers :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,106 Posts
Check turbo for free play.
Baffle sump.
Service the oil pump and replace tube if required.
New dipstick tube.
New metal fin water pump.
Port and polish the head, new valves and springs.
Uprate cams to fast road.
Cambelt if required.
Check all engine earthing.
New coilpack harness.
2.0 coilpacks.
Check thoroughly the hard to get to hoses.
Flush out intercooler/s
Clean the engine bay.

Freshen up the rocker cover.
Steve
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27,106 Posts
tonksy26 said:
That's what I'm after, cheers Steve :)

So hope we get some sort of summer soon so i can get busy and take it out ( all on the road side outside my house of course) :D
Improving doesn't always cost allot, but that list will set you back 1 to 2k depending on the quality of parts and how much yo can take on yourself.
Steve
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top