Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just been to seen a used TTS that I very much like but as it is a lot of money to spend, I have some questions I am hoping you can help with.

The car is a 27 months old TTS. It has just had its second service from Audi and has had 2 previous keepers. It has average miles for the age and has remaining warranty from Audi until early next year. The car is being sold by an independent dealer and although I would have preferred an Audi dealer, the prices they are asking for are not far off that of a brand new car (albeit without any options). I have checked that both windows go up and down okay, the car went up to 70 very smoothly indeed on the test drive, everything seemed in order underneath the cover in the boot.

The dealer had a HPI check that seemed valid. I tried a HPI text check myself however that comes backs as no record. I suspect this is due to the car having had a cherished plate previously and is now in the process of getting its regular registration number back.

Whilst it is the first car I have been to view, I have been looking and waiting for the right spec to come up for a very long tine.

Have I missed anything? Any concerns?

Your assistance is much appreciated!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
BesoTTed said:
Hi all,

I have just been to seen a used TTS that I very much like but as it is a lot of money to spend, I have some questions I am hoping you can help with.

The car is a 27 months old TTS. It has just had its second service from Audi and has had 2 previous keepers. It has average miles for the age and has remaining warranty from Audi until early next year. The car is being sold by an independent dealer and although I would have preferred an Audi dealer, the prices they are asking for are not far off that of a brand new car (albeit without any options). I have checked that both windows go up and down okay, the car went up to 70 very smoothly indeed on the test drive, everything seemed in order underneath the cover in the boot.

The dealer had a HPI check that seemed valid. I tried a HPI text check myself however that comes backs as no record. I suspect this is due to the car having had a cherished plate previously and is now in the process of getting its regular registration number back.

Whilst it is the first car I have been to view, I have been looking and waiting for the right spec to come up for a very long tine.

Have I missed anything? Any concerns?

Your assistance is much appreciated!
As it's from an independent dealer I would get it checked over by the AA/RAC - a clean bill of health from them plus the remaining Audi warranty and you should be good to go I would have thought.

Has it got the Stronic gearbox? If so, you're probably aware of the possible issues. Unlikely that you'd have a problem but worth bearing in mind for when the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have stated it is manual not S-tronic.. I have actively avoided the automatics for the very reason you state.

You say it is the dealer I need to check up on with the AA/RAC?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'd also ask the following:

Who - The previous keepers and how long they had it? (should all be on the log book) If its been a demo / dealership then i'd walk away as we all know what people do on a test drive esp before the oli is warm :lol:

Other questions:
What warranty work has been done?
When the car isn't moving turn the wheels to full lock slowly and listen for a click or feeling scratchy feed back through the wheel as this could be the sign of a sterring rack problem. Also try it at very slow speeds - 5 to 10 mph.

Breaking - Test the breaks from 70 the car shouldn't pull to one side.

75+ check the drive is smooth - will show any possible alignment / wheel problems.

Check how the car feels when the turbo kicks in- say between 2.5 - 3k in 5th gear to make sure its not got that pause / skip heart beat problem.

Otherwise all the normal - check for re-sprays etc...

Like other had said def get the AA to look at it and anything minor will only help you drive the price down if they find anything.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If its got the warranty then let audi fix anything that might be wrong with it.

Just make sure it has no dodgy history (HPI it), dont trust the dealer on that and make sure the bodywork is good. Then you're good to go. [smiley=dude.gif] [smiley=drummer.gif] [smiley=dude.gif]

The TTS is a great car. I had one for 3 years and gave it absolute hell but it never went wrong really. I think pound for pound they are better than the TTRS.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
96,589 Posts
Hi BesoTTed, If its not far off the price of a new TTS, as asked give us a link to the advert, may be too expensive.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Looks a nice car, but I'd check the "Audi Used Car Locator", there are a good number of used TTS's at reasonable prices, just to make sure that you are not paying too much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been checking Audi used cars on a regular basis for a long time :roll:

Prices are around £2000 more for a similar spec.. they are only less money it seems if they are in an unpopular colour few people want!

I'm sure it will be fine.. just usual nerves around buying a used car :)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What price is the car??

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
BesoTTed said:
Does the Audi service not cover many of the items on basic AA check?
:roll:

A full Audi service might highlight any mechanical defect, they find. However, it appears they did not carry out a full service on your car. Have you read the service reports?
It will not cover many other important items as detailed in the AA inspection. Have you bothered to read the scope for AA inspection in the link I posted?

I feel able to check a used car and would not necessarily have the AA inspection, but .......... if you can't DIY you might want the added reassurance. For example, do you know how to check panel shut lines?

Whatever, it looks to be a nice car. You seem happy with the price, good luck. [smiley=bomb.gif]

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
The only thing I would say is it's running Acellera tyres. Nothing wrong with them - I run them myself, but they are the No. 1 make of tyres fitted by suppliers of aftermarket wheels. It could be worth pulling a wheel off to just check they're genuine Audi rims.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have taken the plunge! Hopefully everything checks out... I will keep you updated if/when I take delivery! :)

Thank you all for the advice.. I look forward to being a TT owning member of the forum :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.