Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

If anyones interested here is the story, if not, please read the question and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

The story

Was having a nice holiday break at a boat in Norwich, was driving back home and stopped off at a tesco for a quick sandwich before the 230mile back north.

Got back in the car, started to drive and heard a loud "clang" which vibrated through the steering wheel. Took it to the nearest garage who got the car up on the ramps and found that my nearside front coil had snapped so the whole car was lurching over. They couldn't fit me in till saturday, so I nervously drove the 200miles very slowly with a snapped coil (managed 42mpg, but took 4 hours!!)

The Question

My car is a 2001 225 so sits quite high and I always wanted to get it lowered, so now seems the perfect time since you should always replace the coils in pairs anyway.

Problem is, this couldn't have happened at a worse time financially as I have just paid for a holiday to Tokyo, and completely skint!

I know that awesome gti (Irlam) sell full Weitec Suspension kits from £250 http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/weitec/suspension_a.html and fitting is around £200 which will bring the entire thing up to around £500 which is a pain, but not the end of the world. However, the Weitec Kit doesn't say how much it lowers your car by and I have heard that if it is lowered by more then 25mm then you need new Rear tie arms. Is this correct? as I really cannot afford an additional £250 on top of the £500 for this.

I found this kit on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-TT-quattro-c ... dZViewItem

Not sure who its made by, but it says its adjustable, so was wondering if the rear tie arms do need replacing if its lowered by more then 25mm, then could I just get Awesome to set the amount to 25mm and leave the rear tie arms???

All suggestions welcomed (If anyone knows of cheaper alternatives that would be good :) ), but do remember that budget is the biggest problem hear. Oh yeah, also my car has covered 80k miles so I'm pretty sure, just replacing the springs would be out of the question as this would finish the shocks.

Many thanks for your time, and obviously time is of the essence as the car is unusable at the moment.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no takers?

Really need to get this sorted tomorrow, so as I say, any help is appreciated -thanks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Try demon tweeks they were cheaper than awesome for the eibach pro springs fitted and 4 wheel alignment £275 all in inc vat. Mines an early 2002 and didnt need tie bars although i have a problem now not sure if its related and i'll be calling them tomorrow.
You could just go for the springs and when you have more money freed up if necessary by adjustable tie bars

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all - just an update.

Big thanks to prt225TT who offered me some OEM springs for an incredibly cheap price. after phoning round to get prices for fitting I decided to get all the suspension replaced, as I thought if I spent £100 now, I'll probably end up spending another £500 a few months down the line.

Anyway, got it booked in at Awesome on 15th April to get it lowered 30mm all round with new shocks and springs. The guy on the end of the phone really knew his stuff and thinks the standard rear tie arms should be fine.

Anyway, I'll post some before after pics when its done.

1 Question though - Is the car safe to drive with the top coil snapped off the drivers front? It makes a bit of a twanging noise, and the camber seems off, but will it be ok for short journeys?

·
Registered
333 Posts
"thinks the standard rear tie arms should be fine"

thats a worryiong statement, and it was something i worried about for a long time before i fitted the Eibach's lowering the car by 25mm, yes you got it i needed Adjustable Tie Bars (£199)

I dont think there is an exact science here with pre-facelift cars, but th e general concencus is you WILL need tie bars if you lower past 25mm

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
RickyTT said:
Hi all - just an update.

Anyway, got it booked in at Awesome on 15th April to get it lowered 30mm all round with new shocks and springs.
The guy on the end of the phone really knew his stuff and thinks the standard rear tie arms should be fine.
AFAIK you could be pushing it going that low without adjustable tie bars.
Mine's 25mm which was the maximum recommended without tie bars, and I've been watching my tyre wear like a hawk.
Some members recommend tie bars whenever you lower.
Think it's to do with there beng really no adjustment on the OEM ones. I might be wrong though. :?
So far I've been lucky and they've all worn nice and even.
My advise is to keep a good eye on the tyre wear as they can wear down before you know it and for the
cost of 2 new tyres you could probably have had the tie bars done.
Remember that it's you who'll have to pay for new tyres and not the guy who thought the OEM tie bars would be fine. :wink: :eek:
John.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Righto - Ive just been outside and measured the gaps between tyre and arch.

Front sits at around 60mm and rear sits at around 80mm.

Was thinking of just getting the lowering kit that did the front by like 30mm and leaves the rear at a standard height - but guessing that would look really weird!

So, If you are all saying I do need adjustable rear tie arms, I'm thinking about getting the 50/50 lowering kit. Will this cause any additional problems do you think?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Ricky, one of the other things you have to take into consideration when lowering, is ground clearance.
I'm not clued up on what it's like if you lower by 30mm a 2001 225 like you have.
All I know is that due to the V6 underside being quite low to start with I have to be careful on big speed bumps and sharp inclines.
If when lowered your TT is any lower than mine underneath then you'll have a problem if using it as your every day car.

Be good to get feedback from members with the same car as you about how much they've lowered and if it causes problems.

John.

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
If you're going to lower your car you WILL need adjustable rear tie bars. There is no camber adjustment on the rear with OEM tie bars and your tyres will suffer wear on the inner edges as a result.

If you can't afford the tie bars immediately then I'd suggest buying some used/part worn/budget tyres to tide you over. Having said that it really is a false economy as the adjustable tie bars can be fitted when the suspension is done so it's really just the cost of the parts.

There's actually a group buy on for tie bars here if that helps...

http://www.********.co.uk/ttforumbbs/vi ... hp?t=98635

Cheers

Rich

:p

·
Registered
428 Posts
RickyTT said:
Was thinking of just getting the lowering kit that did the front by like 30mm and leaves the rear at a standard height - but guessing that would look really weird!
i actually like that look. my mate had a similar setup on his civic and with the right wheels, front spliter it looks excellent.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rustyintegrale said:
If you're going to lower your car you WILL need adjustable rear tie bars. There is no camber adjustment on the rear with OEM tie bars and your tyres will suffer wear on the inner edges as a result.

If you can't afford the tie bars immediately then I'd suggest buying some used/part worn/budget tyres to tide you over. Having said that it really is a false economy as the adjustable tie bars can be fitted when the suspension is done so it's really just the cost of the parts.

There's actually a group buy on for tie bars here if that helps...

http://www.********.co.uk/ttforumbbs/vi ... hp?t=98635

Cheers

Rich

:p
Yeah, nice one rich, there about £100 cheaper then the ones I had been looking at. From all the advice given, I think I will stick with the 30/30 lowering and get those rear tie arms - and get another credit card :lol:

·
Registered
19,838 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.