Audi TT Forum banner

V6/225 shock absorbers

975 views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  V6RUL 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the V6 and 225 share the same shock absorbers? I've been told they do from a company I'm looking at buying a set from but thought I would check with you guys

#3 ·
Hey Marco,

I was considering doing the shocks at the same time, just covered 53k, been advised that the extra compression from the car on lowered springs would wear the shocks out very quickly!

I have the chance of a set of spax adjustable shocks but don't know much about them tbh

#6 ·
The standard V6 dampers are slightly uprated compared to the standard 225, this is to help with the heavy engine under the bonnet :wink:

Aftermarket ( ie bilstein B6/B8 etc ) are all the same for 225/V6

If you are going really low like 40mm etc then a uprated shock with shortened damper is recommended.

Spax suspension isn't too bad, was used on the thrust ssc :lol:
( the bilsteins will be better than the spax for a car imo )

#8 ·
Well if they are going cheap enough then i would defiantly consider them, as good as the Bilsteins are they are pretty expensive @ £520 for the B6/B8 (+£20) and neither are adjustable or have springs... The Spaxs will do a good job as well and you will be able to adjust the damping to suit your style of driving which is a handy feature to have.
Winning feature has to be them being filled with Kryptonite, Superman won't be able to touch you :p

#9 ·
Thanks Jay, yeah there pretty cheap compared to the cost of them on various websites, the only question I have is will they be up to the job? The website says they are for all Quattro models not V6 specific! With them being adjustable will that make much difference?

#12 ·
gogs said:
Thanks Jay, yeah there pretty cheap compared to the cost of them on various websites, the only question I have is will they be up to the job? The website says they are for all Quattro models not V6 specific! With them being adjustable will that make much difference?
Oh they will 100% be up to the job mate, they are not cheap shit at all ( cost £400+ ) and will not fall apart after a few miles lol. They have TUV approval which apparently is a very stringent german test for suspension components so shouldn't start leaking after a few 100 miles :lol:

All quattro coupes all use the same shocks just different damping rates as standard depending on engine fitted but...

As these are adjustable you set them up to how you want them so you could have them very soft and comfortable or pretty much scaffold pole stiff like a race car, they come with 25 stages of adjustment so more than enough to get it riding how you want it :p

If you don't buy them i will be very interested in them as i am in the same boat and want new shocks to go with a set of eibachs i have here...

#13 ·
Jay-225 said:
gogs said:
Oh they will 100% be up to the job mate, they are not cheap shit at all ( cost £400+ ) and will not fall apart after a few miles lol. They have TUV approval which apparently is a very stringent german test for suspension components so shouldn't start leaking after a few 100 miles :lol:

All quattro coupes all use the same shocks just different damping rates as standard depending on engine fitted but...

As these are adjustable you set them up to how you want them so you could have them very soft and comfortable or pretty much scaffold pole stiff like a race car, they come with 25 stages of adjustment so more than enough to get it riding how you want it :p

If you don't buy them i will be very interested in them as i am in the same boat and want new shocks to go with a set of eibachs i have here...
Thanks again jay, I'll keep you posted

#14 ·
Shocks with only damping adjustment allow for adjustment of the piston going in, which is only half of a shocks action.
Billy B16s and some other products allow adjustment of the damping and rebound, which is the action of the piston coming out.
Steve

#15 ·
V6RUL said:
Shocks with only damping adjustment allow for adjustment of the piston going in, which is only half of a shocks action.
Billy B16s and some other products allow adjustment of the damping and rebound, which is the action of the piston coming out.
Steve
I understand that Steve but I just can't justify that amount if cash on an 8 year old car, I'm just looking to make sure I don't end up with knackered oem shocks or crap aftermarket shocks, all advice is welcome

#18 ·
gogs said:
V6RUL said:
Ive currently got Eibach height adjustibles front and back on at the mo, but maybe considering changing them in the near future.
Steve
How so Steve? You not happy with them?
There fine for the street, slightly firmer than OEM but with no damper/rebound adjustment which i am looking into at the mo as the strip needs a different setup.
Cost over benefit will be the deciding factor.
Steve

#19 ·
V6RUL said:
gogs said:
V6RUL said:
Ive currently got Eibach height adjustibles front and back on at the mo, but maybe considering changing them in the near future.
Steve
There fine for the street, slightly firmer than OEM but with no damper/rebound adjustment which i am looking into at the mo as the strip needs a different setup.
Steve
I eagerly await your decision Steve

#24 ·
V6RUL said:
gogs said:
V6RUL said:
Steve
Steve
A setup for the strip, now that is getting serious. Racing driver Steve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.