Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the first few pages of the popular TT-S vs TT-RS thread got me thinking about my 7 Speed S-tronic in my 1.8 TFSI. Whilst my 7 speed is newer and more fuel efficient than the 6 speed in my former Mark 1 (and most Mark 2s I guess), is it a different (and older) version than the 7 speed one in the TT-RS and other Audi models?? :) :?:

I had the unfortunate "pleasure" of owning a car with a defective Mechatronic ECU last time around and am hopeful things will turn out better this time!! :wink:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
What's your gearbox code?

MYD is the gearbox code in the service schedule in our RS S-Tronic and although they are both 7 speeds, I doubt it very much that the same gearbox will be fitted, both for cost, but also the fact that there is no need for the same torque capacity for the 1.8

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I'd expect your 7 speed gearbox to be the more efficient, lighter and newer variant that is in use with 1.4 TFSI engines too. If memory serves me well, it has dry clutches, rather than clutches in oil and it's designed for up to 250Nm torque.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TT-driver said:
Google on "ssp 390 0am" for all technical details in the self study program pdf. :)
Many thanks, I have just re-aquainted myself with my good old friend the speed input sensor G182!!!! :p :p

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
RS one is not the same 7 speed as the one used on the low powered engines.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So are there 4 variants of S-tronic used in the TT range then? If the TT-RS is different from the 7-speed in the 1.8TFSi, I'd imagine that the ones used in the 2 litre petrols is different to that of the TDi?

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
DQ200 is the 7 speed used in the small engined cars in the VW range (max 250Nm) Part code is 0AM and is 70KG
DQ250 is the 6 speed used in the mid engines cars in the Audi range (max 350Nm) Part code is 02E and is 93KG
DQ500 is the 7 speed used on the RS (max 500Nm) Part code is 0BT and is 90KG

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Toshiba said:
DQ200 is the 7 speed used in the small engined cars in the VW range (max 250Nm)
DQ250 is the 6 speed used in the mid engines cars in the Audi range (max 350Nm)
DQ500 is the 7 speed used on the RS (max 500Nm)
Any reason why the mid range engines use 6 speed s-tronic and the low and high range engines use 7 speed?? Is it because the 7 speeds are the latest more fuel efficient versions and that the mid range ones which had s-tronic first are playing catch up? :)

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
Its based on the rating of the engine. The DQ200 would not cope with the output of the mid range engines.
It could be replaced with the DQ380 (which is based on the 500) at some-point - but given the TT is EOL now, i cant see a major change like that happening before MK3

I was at Audi Germany yesterday and it was sugguested the new TTS will carry the EA888 with 280bhp and lots of Nm, so id "guess" it will also carry the 500 or its sister 380

·
Registered
308 Posts
Perhaps this could explain the relatively high S-tronic failure rate amongst TT owners:

If the 'boxes used in the 2 litre engines are rated at 350Nm, then every day, these 'boxes are being used right up to their limits. At least the RS has 10% or so margin for safety.

Audi normally over engineer their products, but is seems in this case, they've made things only just adequate (and if some engines are putting out slightly more than specified torque, which can happen with manufacturing tolerances) then this becomes inadequate.

Glad I've got a full warranty with my new order.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Skipton01 said:
Perhaps this could explain the relatively high S-tronic failure rate amongst TT owners:

If the 'boxes used in the 2 litre engines are rated at 350Nm, then every day, these 'boxes are being used right up to their limits. At least the RS has 10% or so margin for safety.

Audi normally over engineer their products, but is seems in this case, they've made things only just adequate (and if some engines are putting out slightly more than specified torque, which can happen with manufacturing tolerances) then this becomes inadequate.

Glad I've got a full warranty with my new order.
From the posts on here about S-Tronic problems the vast majority (all?) have sensor failure as the root cause, as opposed to some mechanical failure as a result of the torque applied to the gearbox.
The various sensors report shaft speeds, gear positions, oil pressures and temperatures etc etc. In some cases where a signal from a particular sensor is absent (has failed) the gearbox ECU will substitute a signal from another sensor so that gearbox function remains albeit limited in some cases.

The majority of the sensors together with the gearbox ECU and the hydraulic solenoid valves are in the Mechatronic unit, hence the reason why most of the repairs involve replacement of that unit.

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
as above its electronic not mechanical.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Is the Stronic box from the TTRS the same as used in the RS4/RS5 and perhaps also the same as in the new R8 (2012 facelift)?

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
No they have the engine mounted in the correct way and use different gearboxes altogether.
I'm sure the RS5 (DL501 i think) is rated at 600Nm.

Nothing on the TT is shared with other RS Models, its not even built by the Quattro gmbh division.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
RS3 does :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts