Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for the record I have no problem with vegetarians (bare with me) I'm a chef in a very busy restaurant and veggies are about 10% of my yearly trade which is great, and I genuinely don't have a dislike for any dietary requirement

but what I really dont get is you make a big fuss about not eating meat, yet have you ever stopped to consider what your shoes are made of? or you handbag? or your coat or the tube of glue in the cupboard and yes even alot of new world wine has fish bladder in it.

I mean are these people just seeking attention?

I have even had some customers who have told me that they are allergic to meat!! ALLERGIC your telling me out of the 1000's of different animals you can eat your allergic to ALL of them!?! :eek: i mean come on seriously?

My point is this think before you make a lifestyle choice of wether you actually are legit or just wanting to be a pain in the ass
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
33,450 Posts
Are you sure there's no problem? I suppose you couldn't claim to be a vegetarian if you eat your own shoes but just wearing shoes that are made from a bi-product of the meat industry provides little support for it. If nobody eat meat somebody would develop an alternative to leather because it would no longer be cheap. As for glue, I'm struggling to think of an animal based glue anyone is likely to possess these days.

People might chose not to eat meat because they don't like the taste or handling it. They may chose not to for moral, religious, or political reasons. They may make other related choices in pursuit of their aim but perfection is not possible - walk past a fish mongers and you'll smell fish and therefore have ingested some component of fish but it would be ridiculous to give up your way of life for such small inconsistencies

If you set your rules too strict you'll fail but less strict and you may more readily achieve most of what you want and be able to sustain it. That's really a choice for you to make and not others to make for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not exactly the respose i was hoping for :lol:

My opinion was over exaggerated due to the forum room we're in hoping to get comic response for a mild annoyance.

I see veggies as more the irritating aunt that comes to stay and dosnt like anything about everything, but not in an aggressive sense.

Perhaps I mis interpreted this room so i apologise if i offended anyone.

However I do genuinely believe people need a bit more education about the world around them for example You telling more you dont like the taste of any meat or fish etc thats cooked in variety of different ways including smoked, fryed, braised, roasted, poached chefs wouldnt exsist if it were all the same texture, flavour and smell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,979 Posts
Vegetarians are gay :lol:

My gf apparently didn't like Lamb untill she met me and ate lamb that was cooked and seasoned well :p now she loves it lol. I suppose if you have a bad experience as a child maybe that puts you off?

remember as kids my sister's mate was vegetarian for half a day. We had roast beef that evening and the smell she couldn't resist haha :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Mate, with you, every time you go to or have a dinner party, some sad f**ker is sat there slurping their way through a plate of boiled veggies, knowing they have stressed the hosts who have struggled to come up with a meat substitute and failed, so its rice and veg again, but lets not forget it's spawned a massive industry around it so someones is profitting from it.

Just making me wonder though, does their s**t smell, rabbits don't and they eat veg only.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
33,450 Posts
jossytt said:
Not exactly the respose i was hoping for :lol:

My opinion was over exaggerated due to the forum room we're in hoping to get comic response for a mild annoyance.

I see veggies as more the irritating aunt that comes to stay and dosnt like anything about everything, but not in an aggressive sense.

Perhaps I mis interpreted this room so i apologise if i offended anyone.

However I do genuinely believe people need a bit more education about the world around them for example You telling more you dont like the taste of any meat or fish etc thats cooked in variety of different ways including smoked, fryed, braised, roasted, poached chefs wouldnt exsist if it were all the same texture, flavour and smell
Not at all - It was late and I'd just put a very difficult washing machine back together. From that perspective I realise you were putting a spin on re-cycling an old argument, banging a big agitator drum and pouring conditionioner onto the fabric of your argument. I'm sure it will all come out in the wash. Now, what address can I send my old shoes to? :wink:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
33,450 Posts
CWM3 said:
Mate, with you, every time you go to or have a dinner party, some sad f**ker is sat there slurping their way through a plate of boiled veggies, knowing they have stressed the hosts who have struggled to come up with a meat substitute and failed, so its rice and veg again, but lets not forget it's spawned a massive industry around it so someones is profitting from it.

Just making me wonder though, does their s**t smell, rabbits don't and they eat veg only.
What did you just call me? :eek: The massive industry is the meat industry clearly. For your information the smell is due to the putrifaction of flesh in the gut - obviously worse if you eat meat - think cats and dogs and you get the idea :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,215 Posts
My wife has been a veggie for over 30 years. I'm not - I eat meat occasionally. She does, however eat fish! That makes her a pescatarian (don't ask me, I still don't fully understand.) She loves fish, which is just as well, as a lot of restaurants in this country have only one, maybe two dishes at most that she can eat when we go out. If she didn't eat fish, we probably wouldn't bother going out to eat. It seems the French are crap at veggie dishes! Try getting a decent salad in an up-market French restaurant! It's a meat-fest!!

She wears leather shoes because leather seems to be the best material for them. Plastic shoes are not ideal in summer as you can imagine. She owns a few leather handbags, hell, she even owns a leather jacket! Function over form. Leather is a very durable by-product of meat, allowing your own skin to breathe while keeping water out. Indeed, it would be ideal if some one came up with a synthetic material that had the same properties, but until then leather is best.
As said, I haven't seen a pot of Cow Gum for years! :lol:

She would never impose her beliefs on me or anybody else for that matter. No demands are ever made on kitchen staff.

Tell me, as a chef in a busy restaurant, why, when there are so many amazing vegetarian recipes in cook books from all countries of the world, does she have the choice of a sweaty vegetarian lasagne or a sad looking goats cheese tart to choose from every time??

Lack of imagination I think.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
33,450 Posts
Could do with a few more vegie options on menus for sure. I find most places will oblige if you ask and of course if you go to an Indian restraunt, as most of India is vegetarian there's no problem adapting a westernised menu to suit. Hmmm... Naga :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
John-H said:
CWM3 said:
Mate, with you, every time you go to or have a dinner party, some sad f**ker is sat there slurping their way through a plate of boiled veggies, knowing they have stressed the hosts who have struggled to come up with a meat substitute and failed, so its rice and veg again, but lets not forget it's spawned a massive industry around it so someones is profitting from it.

Just making me wonder though, does their s**t smell, rabbits don't and they eat veg only.
What did you just call me? :eek: The massive industry is the meat industry clearly. For your information the smell is due to the putrifaction of flesh in the gut - obviously worse if you eat meat - think cats and dogs and you get the idea :wink:
John............I am a meat eater mate.....but I draw the line at eating my pets :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
My girlfriend is a vegetarian (who eats fish ) but if you ask her why she's one she can't particularly say. She keeps saying she may go back to eating chicken as long as the meat's from free-range hens, but she never does.

I do find it a bit annoying - humans are omnivores and designed to eat meat. Most of the meat that we eat comes from animals that are bred for the purpose and so I never understand those who say they are vegetarian because they are animal lovers; the animals wouldn't have had life to begin with if it weren't for meat eaters.

It's not 100% healthy either - a friend of mine is a vegetarian and is just about to have her first child but the doctor advised her to eat meat during the pregnancy if she could, so she did!

Fair enough if you just don't like the taste of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,215 Posts
Basscube said:
Vegetarians are gay
What????
I suppose there are some veggies that are gay, but please! :lol:

CWM3 said:
the hosts who have struggled to come up with a meat substitute and failed
Why the struggle? Why meat substitute? Most veggies don't eat 'meat substitute.' What's the point?







These are just a few. :)

Or if you're too lazy to go out, buy a book and treat your veggie friends or family to a culinary delight, the Interwebs has a wealth of great recipes just a click or two away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
jossytt said:
I mean are these people just seeking attention?

I have even had some customers who have told me that they are allergic to meat!! ALLERGIC your telling me out of the 1000's of different animals you can eat your allergic to ALL of them!?! :eek: i mean come on seriously?

My point is this think before you make a lifestyle choice of wether you actually are legit or just wanting to be a pain in the ass
Spot on! After attention
Cooking for them is a pain. Line them up and shoot them all ; )
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
33,450 Posts
As for how we are "designed" - we could have a debate about evolution and our vegetarian based ape ancestory - how we are not really fast enough to catch animals and only really did so when we developed tools, how we don't have the teeth for eating raw meat and how that only became practical with the ability to create fire to break it down, how we have colour vision to identify ripe fruit (unlike meat eaters who see in black and white) and how we have long guts which are designed to digest vegetable based food (unlike short meat eater guts) which then cause us problems on a western based meat diet with meat spending too long in the gut, degrading, producing toxins and causing colon cancer, unlike in eastern cultures where much less meat is consumed. It's only a few hundred thousand years since we developed tools and I'd question how much we have evolved in that time to adapt. We lost some hair, some of us more than others but how much has our physiology adapted? The health aspect in this lifestyle choice is another consideration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,283 Posts
higsta said:
My point is this think before you make a lifestyle choice of wether you actually are legit or just wanting to be a pain in the ass
Who makes lifestyle choices just to be "a pain in the ass"?

:?
My sister in law - f#ck me if it eats sleeps or sh*ts she disagrees with talking to it, playing with it or eating it - I hope she joins this forum and reads this - 'You hate meat? Well we f#cking hate you'!!! - Please don't tell my missus I said that :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,283 Posts
higsta said:
Isn't that a personality issue not a lifestyle choice? :lol:
Unfprtunately that personality disorder drives the lifestyle choices - maybe thats the same for all of them - or maybe they are right and we are the nutters :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Top