Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I have a problem and it's doing my head in. About 3/4 months ago I lowered the car on Apex springs with part used facelift shocks (40k on the shocks, better than mine on 105k). Fitted Forge tie bars and had the alignment done. Shortly afterwards a little creak started up from the rear, most noticeable when doing a 3 point turn at the end of my road - quite tight and lots of camber so plenty going on with the suspension. It got worse and worse, to the point now where it happens when just rocking the car back and forward on the handbrake. I can hear it at low speeds on bad roads, and having been away this weekend with a bootload and a bike on the roof it was very worrying indeed.

It's not a squeak, like dry ARB bushes, or a rattle like worn/loose droplinks. More of a low pitched groaning/creaking, like something metallic under tension or torsion in a way it shouldn't be.When I fitted the tie bars, I lubed everything with a high performance PU grease. I'd be surprised if it was dry bushes on anything we fitted. It's also not the ARB, as it's been off, cleaned, lubed and re-fitted.

The car's been seen by the TT shop who said the car was basically safe, but couldn't trace it. Last week my local indie did a split rear CV boot and said they thought it was the tie-bar inner and outer bushes, mainly the outers. Anyone heard of this before? I have the upgraded outer bushes as I intended to fit them with the tie bars, but couldn't get the rose joints out of the hub carrier. Does this sound like knackered rose joints?

Appreciate any suggestions.

:?

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
Don't know if they are your problem but track rod end bearings (rose joints) are renowned for drying out and seizing up, they really do belong in a clean environment with regular greasing through a grease nipple.. I know this does not sort your problem but it does confirm that they are problamatic whenever they are used in open environments.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Gone Ape said:
Hello guys. I have a problem and it's doing my head in. About 3/4 months ago I lowered the car on Apex springs with part used facelift shocks (40k on the shocks, better than mine on 105k). Fitted Forge tie bars and had the alignment done. Shortly afterwards a little creak started up from the rear, most noticeable when doing a 3 point turn at the end of my road - quite tight and lots of camber so plenty going on with the suspension. It got worse and worse, to the point now where it happens when just rocking the car back and forward on the handbrake. I can hear it at low speeds on bad roads, and having been away this weekend with a bootload and a bike on the roof it was very worrying indeed.

It's not a squeak, like dry ARB bushes, or a rattle like worn/loose droplinks. More of a low pitched groaning/creaking, like something metallic under tension or torsion in a way it shouldn't be.When I fitted the tie bars, I lubed everything with a high performance PU grease. I'd be surprised if it was dry bushes on anything we fitted. It's also not the ARB, as it's been off, cleaned, lubed and re-fitted.

The car's been seen by the TT shop who said the car was basically safe, but couldn't trace it. Last week my local indie did a split rear CV boot and said they thought it was the tie-bar inner and outer bushes, mainly the outers. Anyone heard of this before? I have the upgraded outer bushes as I intended to fit them with the tie bars, but couldn't get the rose joints out of the hub carrier. Does this sound like knackered rose joints?

Appreciate any suggestions.

:?
Could be the bushes on the Forge tie bars, did you raise the hubs to normal ride height before final tightening of the nuts/bolts?

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, we did it in the air.... come to think of it I remember that point from a random post a while back

My local indie reckoned the tie bar bolts were too tight, but I just did them up to the spec 70 Nm + 1/4turn.

Time to get the wooden blocks out and adjust them then

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Saffy said:
I had the same annoying creak and it took a while to figure out. It turned out the rear tie arm bolt was too tight, not had the creak since
I had a creak, pin pointed it to the n/s/r top inner tie bar bush, removed the tie bar dipped the bush in oil and wiped the excess off, refitted the tie bar the opposite way to what it came off, job done :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Funnily enough I lubricated everything up on my QS on Saturday, seeing as I work for Renault it would be rude not to keep her in tip top condition. After doing this and never before I had the same sort of noise, which only seemed to happen during tighter maneuvers so i took it back to my work and put it up on the ramp again on Sunday and sprayed everything with brake cleaner to clean everything up. My theory being that I must have caused the noise by doing something on Saturday so I undid it by cleaning all of the oils and lubricants I put on and the noise has gone again. Not sure how but it would seem that lubing it up caused the noise as I literally did nothing else lol

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have now fitted the revised tie bar outer end bushes, i.e. replaced the rose joints. Silence. [smiley=mexicanwave.gif]

·
Registered
262 Posts
sorry to bring up an old thread but I think this is the exact problem I have with mine. I have a 52 plate so have the older style rose joints and my creak appears when I am going very slow and doing somthing like pulling up on to a curb or turning into my drive, does this sound like what you had? Its actually a very loud sounding creak. If so did you replace both sides outer bushes and how much did they cost you each from audi?

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did all 4 outer bushes, I think they were around 8 quid each but can't remember exactly. Give a dealer, or Awesome GTi a call - they're very helpful guys and will know exactly what you're talking about.

If you're not going to do them all, I would do them in pairs i.e. both bottoms or both tops, and you will need alignment done afterwards. It's a bigger hit to take in one go but you'll save money overall doing the whole lot at once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts