Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few weeks trouble free driving, the dreaded vibration re-appeared yesterday on a longer drive. So about 20 miles in to a 60 mile drive, the vibration returned, exactly as it had before, out of the blue. Then about 20 miles later it just stopped again, and for the next 20 miles car was fine...

Starting about 40, whole car starts to vibrate, and the faster you go the more it vibrates (And the intensity feels less). When it vibrates, especially at 40, you can feel the whole car slightly vibrate, less so when at higher speeds. Car handles fine, engine sounds fine. It's had: New discs, pads, springs, CV Boot, Couple of new bushes, new exhaust.

The initial vibrations I was getting stopped after I had all that work done (Except the exhaust, that's only been done this week).

My main thoughts are not that something is warped, as I'd have thought that was more consistent and not intermittent. So My highly uneducated guesses are:
  • Engine Mounts (But the road speed matching makes me think this less so, doesn't change with gears/revs)
  • A brake calliper thats seizing at some times but not always (Especially as the brakes have been sorted, it might have temporarily brought the calliper back to life?)
  • CV Joint that needed a new boot is a bit fried (Again, since having the new boot and grease, might have re-settled and showing it's issues after having the boot broken for some time)
  • Wheel Bearings - would this be a more permanent issue, or could it be something that shows problems intermittently?
Going to check the wheel bolt torques today to rule them out. I need to get it back into the garage I guess. I hate random issues like this, they're a pain to track down. Anything I'm missing other than potentially warped driveshaft type things? (Which I'd assume would show its head every drive, not just sometimes).

·
Registered
318 Posts
I wonder whether it is a brake disc that is warped? It might explain that it is fine as you are travelling, then maybe you used the brakes… it starts rubbing as the pads release…. Causes the discs to heat up and expands, causing the vibration?

Just a guess.

·
Registered
318 Posts
P1sh!
Do you get a feeling of the area of the car vibration is coming from?
How is prop shaft centre bearing?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Had similar to this on an old car. It turned out to be caliper... Started doing it at certain speeds, then gradually got worse and happening more across the speed range.
Thought the info might be of help...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's had new tyres too - its gone again, but I have a temperature gun arriving today so if it happens again I'll measure the brake temps - if they all look fine my guess it's either a shaft/cv or a bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts