Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for you all... :)

I want to put some short video clips on the web, (I can use my own web hosting for this) but with certain provisos:

1) they need to remain secure, and only viewable by authorised people
2) they need to be shown as a stream, and NOT available for "download"

Before you ask, "No" - these aren't my own, private films... but are commercially sensitive, with an intended audience of only a handful of people - hence the reason that I need to restrict access AND prevent them from being downloaded.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Tim - do you need these to reamin on the website for viewing anytime by the selected few, or is this going to be a one-off showing?

If it's just a one-off, could you use just use a webex link?

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I THINK you can Youtube videos, and then only allow certain people to see the video?? Saying that they would have to have a Youtube account.

Or you can host them on somewhere like Photobucket and password the video

Paul

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
There is never a 100% way of preventing downloading (as people can just resort to pointing a camera at the screen).

But Adobe Flash does provide DRM: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashmedias ... ction.html

As for restricting the access you can do this in the usual manner. Such as put a password on the directory for people, or if you want to get really funky, require client SSL certificates to authenticate the user - but then you need to securely distribute security keys.

·
Registered
15,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Presume Adobe Flash is expensive... :(

Ideally I would like to retain "control" of the files, and not have them uploaded to Youtube etc.

I run a completely "private" forum, and to be able to embed videos into posts on there would be great.

Agreed, we can never stop someone simply pointing a camera at the screen, but if I can at least make things as secure as I can from a digital perspective, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
19,838 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
You can indeed password protect photobucket videos and can restrict viewing on youtube - but any video is downloadable whether you want it to be or not.
the best thing to do is make it as secure as you can, and roll with it.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.