Audi TT Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 3.2 VR6 DSG Quattro Coupe
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Tooling is separately priced just added it into it. Getting 50 takers would help but that may be a stretch. I'm happy enough with my present units but am willing to get a set to help top up the numbers if it was to go ahead. Yet might be someplace else that can do it at a better price but at least it can be seen what has been found so far.

·
Registered
2007 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Manual Roadster Petrol Blue & Ice Blue Nappa
484 Posts
As per above, if anyone is interested in this at the proposed £40, please make a post indicating your genuine interest. I’ll start a list here and will edit it and add names of members who would like to order. I’ll keep it up to date until hopefully we meet somewhere near the minimum order quantity that Nidana mentioned above.

The tooling is a set fee for setting up the process - we would all have to share that cost. Then there is the minimum order quantity of 25 units at £20 each. £950 split 25 ways is £38 but add £2 on for UK shipping = £40 each. Shipping might be a bit more for international buyers outside of UK.

I will kick it off with my name and Nidana’s:

1. Steviejones133
2. Nidana
3. HRAB

I will add anyones user name that is interested - only 23 more to go 😃

Steve.

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I’ll also add that £40 ain’t bad for a custom made emblem or badge given the price of OEM replacements found on eBay for the TT

For example, a rear quattro boot/trunk badge from LLL is over £30

Do you follow Mat Armstrong on YouTube - he’s fixing an Aston and the badge for the front is £360!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Might take a while to bring the people together but worth a shot. Are group buys allowed?
I doubt we can do a group buy direct with the manufacturer, they way I kinda thought it’d work is that we would have a “spokesperson“ here who would liaise with them over production and payment.

If we got the numbers to the required amount, maybe then those interested would send money via PayPal to the “spokesperson“ along with their shipping address so that one the spokesperson had taken delivery of the order, he would then dispatch to anyone who paid.

Obviously, there is a great element of trust involved here. Trust in the spokesperson not doing a runner with everyone’s money for one……

Very early days yet as only two takers being myself and nidana so this might not even get off the ground

·
Premium Member
TTS 2010 8J sprint blue CDL
230 Posts
I'm not looking to buy, but I just wondered why tooling costs?
Is this something the company supplying them has never made? I.e. they don't make badges? Or they've never had to work with that type of plastic?
I only ask because I thought tooling, was, well a one off cost of tools. But I am probably wrong in my assumption here.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I dunno Darryl, maybe it’s setting up CNC machining tools, got no idea mate. No idea of the badge making process, I had thought maybe 3d printing may be involved but who knows…..

·
Premium Member
2007 3.2 VR6 DSG Quattro Coupe
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I dunno maybe it's about making the mouldings for said badges and that afterwards will only ever be the costs per bulk buy. I have just paid tooling costs for some brake decals in the same format to go on the spring clamps.
Should anyone be interested in them also I can supply a link and they are approx £6 for a pair. Will add photos when I have them.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,432 Posts
Tooling costs in the plastic moulding world are like a complicated mould. Quite literally the mould for the plastic to be injected into

I wonder if a cheaper option is to 3D print them and then have them chrome plated (maybe that same company can do plastic chrome plating?). Injection moulding is quick and good for scale, but it doesn't suit small batches very well due to the high fixed cost

Very interested in how this goes though

41 - 56 of 56 Posts