1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I've held and inspected the kit in person. It's a VWR intake that is made by ITG. You would find ITG's own kit to be almost identical apart from the finish which VWR have anodized rather than powdercoated like ITG.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
McKenzie said:
I've held and inspected the kit in person. It's a VWR intake that is made by ITG. You would find ITG's own kit to be almost identical apart from the finish which VWR have anodized rather than powdercoated like ITG.
Interesting.
Does the engine cover have to be left off if fitting one of these?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
hugy said:
Interesting.
Does the engine cover have to be left off if fitting one of these?
Shouldn't do. Only the 2.0tfsi engine with the engine cover type air filter need to be modified to allow space for the pipe and filter to fit in place. I'm 99% sure that is the case with these types of filters too unless it's got some strange mounting position that conflicts with the engine cover.

Here are a couple random examples why the engine cover would most likely stay on.

The Intake wouldn't be any closer than that really.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
bbsboy said:
That wont fit your TTS Hugh, the airflow meter is in the wrong place. The only kits available for the TTS is the Forge one, evoms (r32 kit), neuspeed and AEM from memory.
I think the new 2.0 tsi engines have the airflow meter in a different place. The TTS has it in the correct place for this type of intake to work.

I would still go with a larger bore intake that ITG do as the VWR seem build for a smaller space in the engine bay. Depending on the price of the Forge intake kit (non twintake) I would also be tempted with that as looking at Rob's TTS it looks like a great piece of kit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
McKenzie said:
bbsboy said:
That wont fit your TTS Hugh, the airflow meter is in the wrong place. The only kits available for the TTS is the Forge one, evoms (r32 kit), neuspeed and AEM from memory.
I think the new 2.0 tsi engines have the airflow meter in a different place. The TTS has it in the correct place for this type of intake to work.

I would still go with a larger bore intake that ITG do as the VWR seem build for a smaller space in the engine bay. Depending on the price of the Forge intake kit (non twintake) I would also be tempted with that as looking at Rob's TTS it looks like a great piece of kit.
On the tts the maf is in nearly the same position as the tsi. on the vwr kit posted there is a boss near the bend to the turbo intake for the maf to bolt into, ie. the same as a golf/s3/leon tfsi engine.

The TTS come with the maf bonded into a plastic housing so can not be removed.

The maf is screwed to the airbox.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It cant be removed from the barrel, it is bonded in and has no screw holes like the normal TFSI maf. AFAIK it is a larger barrel too so moving it into something like that vwr kit will mess up the scaling unless the pipework is the exact same internal diameter.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The pipe diameter would be the same unless for some crazy reason they have decided to do something different. The only kit I know on the market for a 2.0tfsi engine that uses a different MAF scaling is the Dbilias kit. How has the picture I have shown still using the original MAF sensor then? It was removed and put into the Forge Motorsport metal pipe. It doesn't use the existing MAF housing but takes the MAF sensor out and drops it into the next pipe with the correct fitment like shown in the picture. Unless of course you have to remove the entire housing and put it into the next induction kit which may be possible but seems a little strange.

·
Registered
110 Posts
McKenzie said:
The pipe diameter would be the same unless for some crazy reason they have decided to do something different. The only kit I know on the market for a 2.0tfsi engine that uses a different MAF scaling is the Dbilias kit. How has the picture I have shown still using the original MAF sensor then? It was removed and put into the Forge Motorsport metal pipe. It doesn't use the existing MAF housing but takes the MAF sensor out and drops it into the next pipe with the correct fitment like shown in the picture. Unless of course you have to remove the entire housing and put it into the next induction kit which may be possible but seems a little strange.
The kit you have shown is not on a TTS, the forge TTS kit does exactly that, the maf in its entirety is used.

You can see exactly what i am talking about in the instructions in this link

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/media/ ... intake.pdf

In fact the picture on the cover of rob's car with his orange pipe work makes it even more clear that the sensor body is used and that the sensor itself does not detach from the body. That is why a TTS is such a pain to get an intake for.

Steven

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
What a ball ache that is! The picture I have shown is of rob's car which is the TTS on the forge fitting instructions. The pictures very early on are just random pictures to show the engine cover fitment and aftermarket intakes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
McKenzie said:
What a ball ache that is! The picture I have shown is of rob's car which is the TTS on the forge fitting instructions. The pictures very early on are just random pictures to show the engine cover fitment and aftermarket intakes.
Sorry my work internet filter out some picture that are hosted on flikr and photobucket etc so it never showed up. The TTS really is a pain for an intake. I have a Forge kit due tomorrow for my own car so it will be interesting to see if i notice much gains. I might log before and after to see if im getting any extra airflow.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bbsboy said:
McKenzie said:
Sorry my work internet filter out some picture that are hosted on flikr and photobucket etc so it never showed up. The TTS really is a pain for an intake. I have a Forge kit due tomorrow for my own car so it will be interesting to see if i notice much gains. I might log before and after to see if im getting any extra airflow.
That's a good idea Steven and then we can see if its worth getting one or just keep the K&N :p

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bbsboy said:
It has arrived and i will fit it later.
Great,look forward to seeing some pics :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts