Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i did the wak box and its brilliant but now am looking for an aftermarket filter just wanted your views should i be safe and get a panel filter or should i try and find a cone that will fit in my wak'd box ? also with a cone will it do more bad than good ? as i always remember my mate putting a cone on his 2002 impreza and he recons he lost considerable power !

i dont know your the experts :mrgreen:

nath.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Ask yourself why you want to replace the filter first. Are you doing it for more noise, bragging rights down the pub, better looks, etc.

I've had numerous aftermarket filters in both panel and cone from k&n, green, pipercross and a few others. None have given any increase in power and the cones just annoyed me with the noise. The k&n actually made my car bog down at low rpm and lose power. I now stick to OEM filters. They're not going to make people go 'ooooh', but they do the job.
Unless you have a heavily modified engine, a different filter's going to give you feck all extra power, despite what the makers and other users claim ;-)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Why do you like the Wak Box so much? The noise, or that little bit more power?

If the question is both, then the next upgrade should be 3' TIP, Forge DV and cone filter. My cone filter just sits inside the base of the old air box.

It definetly has produced a bit more power, spools up a lot quicker and noise is very addictive!!!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Cone filter is a waste of time and on the hole will give you no better to slightly worse overall performance...... a decent panel filter will see you with a little bit better airflow, the only good thing is you don't have to replace it ever again.... clean and go (bewary of oiled filters they foul the MAF)

I think it has been proven that allthough the Cone filters on the most part will offer slight increase in BHP at the very top of the rev range you do lose Torque down low and this is the Go faster tool, not the bhp.... bhp is bragging number, torque is the prove yaself number ;)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Garth said:
Ask yourself why you want to replace the filter first. Are you doing it for more noise, bragging rights down the pub, better looks, etc.

I've had numerous aftermarket filters in both panel and cone from k&n, green, pipercross and a few others. None have given any increase in power and the cones just annoyed me with the noise. The k&n actually made my car bog down at low rpm and lose power. I now stick to OEM filters. They're not going to make people go 'ooooh', but they do the job.
Unless you have a heavily modified engine, a different filter's going to give you feck all extra power, despite what the makers and other users claim ;-)
Just changing the panel filter will do feck all, absolutely agree. I have a Jetex cone and noise isn't that loud, unless you give it some beans.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Stealth69 said:
Cone filter is a waste of time and on the hole will give you no better to slightly worse overall performance...... a decent panel filter will see you with a little bit better airflow, the only good thing is you don't have to replace it ever again.... clean and go (bewary of oiled filters they foul the MAF)

I think it has been proven that allthough the Cone filters on the most part will offer slight increase in BHP at the very top of the rev range you do lose Torque down low and this is the Go faster tool, not the bhp.... bhp is bragging number, torque is the prove yaself number ;)
Totally agree with this, if you are going to have many races where both cars can't go over 2k revs, then the cone is totally a waste of time. :roll: :roll:

On saying that still pretty sure cone will increase more torque than a non drilled air box, and change of filter!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the quick replies,
i suppose i like noise and performance equally the wak box sounds great at low revs but i must admit i do want to hear my dv so will be investing in a splitter when my bank recovers after the holiday ive just been on !

i think ill try both and see what i like i have a pipercross viper lying around somewhere will let you all know the outcome :)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Nathanho123 said:
thanks for all the quick replies,
i suppose i like noise and performance equally the wak box sounds great at low revs but i must admit i do want to hear my dv so will be investing in a splitter when my bank recovers after the holiday ive just been on !

i think ill try both and see what i like i have a pipercross viper lying around somewhere will let you all know the outcome :)
DV007 is just as loud. I will post a video of mine, noise is just like a dump valve, but it won't do the engine any harm as the engine was designed for a recirc valve!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
GPT TT said:
Stealth69 said:

Totally agree with this, if you are going to have many races where both cars can't go over 2k revs, then the cone is totally a waste of time. :roll: :roll:
eh???

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Stealth69 said:
Cone filter is a waste of time

you do lose Torque down low and this is the Go faster tool, not the bhp....

bhp is bragging number, torque is the prove yaself number ;)
You say a panel filter with a un-drilled air box would be quicker than a cone filter.... Yes maybe if you both don't rev over 2k revs.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
GPT TT said:
Stealth69 said:

You say a panel filter with a un-drilled air box would be quicker than a cone filter.... Yes maybe if you both don't rev over 2k revs.
No I didn't, I said that a cone filter loses torque, I didn't say an undrilled airbox chap.

A drilled box with a nice filter will outperform an induction kit...... The airbox on the TT is NOT that restrictive and is more than capable of dealing with the 180/225 or even 260bhp with a nice panel filter Therefore it is a complete waste of money unless you want the sound.

I'd much rather have a 5ft/lb of Torque useable gain over a 5bhp gain at the very top of the rev range.

And if you actually want real sound you'd WAKbox it, FMIC and then ditch the DV, that will give the best sound in the world although I'm not sure the Turbo will cope with no DV, not sure how string the internals are on a K03/K04

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Stealth69 said:
GPT TT said:
Stealth69 said:

I said that a cone filter loses torque,

A drilled box with a nice filter will outperform an induction kit......

Therefore it is a complete waste of money unless you want the sound.

I'd much rather have a 5ft/lb of Torque useable gain over a 5bhp gain at the very top of the rev range.

And if you actually want real sound you'd WAKbox it, FMIC and then ditch the DV, that will give the best sound in the world although I'm not sure the Turbo will cope with no DV, not sure how string the internals are on a K03/K04
:lol: :D :lol: FMIC for noise??? No DV??? It's not at the very top of the range anyway.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Stealth69 said:
Yes that is right, FMIC + WAK + DV delete = HUGE Sound FACT.......
:lol: :lol: do it then, or are you still busy playing with that ashtray :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
LMFAO!!!!!! I love my Ashtray and it will be well worth it you cheeky git...... you'll want one, you know you will!!! LOL

I don't know if the turbo is strong enough to take a DV delete....... is it? that little mod makes the best noise in the world..... flutter flutter!!!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Stealth69 said:
LMFAO!!!!!! I love my Ashtray and it will be well worth it you cheeky git...... you'll want one, you know you will!!! LOL

I don't know if the turbo is strong enough to take a DV delete....... is it? that little mod makes the best noise in the world..... flutter flutter!!!
I was just jesting, have you done it yet? What did you eventually do with it?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
GPT TT said:
Stealth69 said:

I was just jesting, have you done it yet? What did you eventually do with it?
Like wise buddy :) it's really nothing exciting for anyone else.... In short I am making a mount that will restrict the movement of the ashtray and house my spare android phone inside it (so looks factory fit) running torque connected to a Elm327 bluetooth adapter and a custom dashboard on the phone. The first mount will be static, the 2nd gen one will flickout and up with the ashtrays movement so it can be hidden away

Wanted to know what the car was upto but didn't want all the extra pipes and wiring, sad boring and geeky I know

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
I'm sure everyone posting has some measured data behind the claims and considered the platforms and quality of what has been previously done. :roll: :lol:

For sure a cone filter can reduce power over oem if your stupid enough to take away a large panel setup and fit filter cones the size of a toilet brush or be lead on by sales and marketing and fit inappropriate shite like this sold to be good for 400bhp..

A car with a completely open bottom airbox, green cotton filter has logged 315ftlbs and 390bhp

Changing from the Wak'd box to a open cone filter has it logging to 340ftlbs and 415bhp.
In addition it noticeably spools sooner and feels more urgent so its not just data the physical change is noticeable.

1. Saying the oem airbox isnt restrictive without foundation and some proper analysis of what you are comparing against is just pissing in the wind.
2. These are the typical comments from those who have a psychological block to a free diy mod over paying £150 for someones shiny piece of formed steel claiming to be a heat shield.
3. Does anyone understand what charge temps will be post turbo to be so worried about engine bay temps?
4. Is there any reason to ask about sucking in hot air from a box mod and not ask when open cones are used?

This trend in opinions and questions comes up time and time again and the banter is fun but a lot without tangible foundation of either logged data or some description to show what was done was thought about and done properly rather than my m8 changed is football pitch sized panel filter for a toilet brush cone and his car bogged down and lost power! :roll:

Wakbox does work is not detrimental in most situations and is cheap and good value for that, take it or leave it, its not been described and offered with any malicious or profiteering intent, its an option, no more and no less and has some data logged behind it, if it were detrimental I'd say so and stop anyone from doing it.

Inductions kits and cone filters work well if sized correctly and you dont mind the noise as its not always pleasant.

Engine bay heat can have an effect but when in motion bay heat is flushed down by airflow and typically post turbo charge temps are at least 2 to 3 times as hot as the engine bay so whats essential is post turbo cooling like intercoolers and water meth systems.

A Neuspeed type of mounting frame is a mounting frame and will do bugger all to "heat shield" I wish they would stop calling it that.
A box type of mounting with sponge to meet the bonnet may offer a more heat resilient option to reduce intake air temp with a cold air feed for assistance, but a good cone filter in a hot engine bay does log higher air mass data.

When you have a hot air film air mass sensor that is measuring air mass by temperature change one would sensibly expect that the suction of hot air to reduce the temp change such that you would not see an air mass improvement in the data being logged. But we do and we see improvements with Big cones and refer you back to the picture above where we see degradation with silly little cones with heat shields and direct cold air feeds.

Before someone comes along and says you cant just use air mass data..... yes its alone a single point of failure but with the lack of time and money for multimillion pound kit its all we got and is representative of the air going in along with the injectors working harder, the air and fuel has to be being used for something. At very least come to the table with some alternative factual information rather than supposition. :roll:

We made some effort to try and see differences and these are the logged results, again take it or leave it. :)

and FYI I'm running open cone and it feels great although not as aurally pleasant.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Loving the banter guys haha, mate that open cone looks awsome ! sound nice ?

what is dv deleting someone Enlighten me ?

newbie alert

1 - 20 of 35 Posts