Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey good TT folks,

I am pretty much decided I want to buy a mk3 TT roadster and join this exclusive club :)

I am currently mulling over how important a wind deflector is. As it's not standard equipment then making it a "must have" obviously limits my buying options. I don't want to limit my options if it doesn't make a big difference.

I currently drive a mk1 Z4 which has a wind deflector. I've never tried driving without it - maybe something I should try!

In any case, different shapes of car will benefit from it in different ways I imagine, so does anyone have experience of driving the roadster with/without a wind deflector and can comment on how much of a difference it makes?

Also, I've seen some that attach to the roll bars - not sure if that's a look I want to go for, but open to ideas like this too...

Thanks in advance! Hopefully you'll be hearing more from me soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have just bought(mid April) a 2015 Roadster and it has the powered wind deflector fitted....... I don't think it makes much different at all, it wasn't on my "must have" list and it wouldn't be now If I bought another.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I find it depends on your speed. 25 to 35 mph not so much, but go faster and there is a noticeable difference.
One big difference is to dive at 65 mph with the top down,windows up and deflector up. The cabin/cockpit is well protected but if you lower the deflector the air turbulence increase dramatically. For me if the top is down the deflector is up.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I’d try to get a car with one. I used an A3 cabriolet and the ‘manual’ fold up deflector makes a big difference, even with all four windows up, when going over 30-40 mph.

Reactions: TT'sRevenge

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Doesn't make a lot of difference except at higher speeds. Does look cool though putting it up / down.
The A3 is different having a larger deflector and 4 windows.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not quite the same, but I have a 206CC - the wind deflector makes a big difference particularly to buffeting around the feet. I had the car for a while before getting the wind deflector. And it looks cool (even in a 206 before anyone says it...:ROFLMAO: )

Reactions: MClaine55

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! Seems like a split of opinions, but slight majority towards "no" for TT Roadsters... so I'll maybe try to get one, but if it closes down my options too much or I see a car I really like without one, then not bother with it

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Hi,

I thought all Mk3 Roadsters had them as standard. I had 2 Mk2 Roadsters and 2 Mk3 Roadsters and they've all had the powered deflector. I find it most benfical at motorway speeds. Stops a lot of buffeting in the cabin.

On the Mk2 you had to the option put it down manually if closing the hood; on the Mk3 when I raise the hood to close it, the deflector automatcally lowers.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hi,

I thought all Mk3 Roadsters had them as standard. I had 2 Mk2 Roadsters and 2 Mk3 Roadsters and they've all had the powered deflector. I find it most benfical at motorway speeds. Stops a lot of buffeting in the cabin.

On the Mk2 you had to the option put it down manually if closing the hood; on the Mk3 when I raise the hood to close it, the deflector automatcally lowers.
They were standard on the mk2’s but Audi made you pay for them as an extra on the mk3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually tested out my Z4 without the wind deflector yesterday if anyone's interested, including driving on the motorway at "70". There was a fair bit of wind coming into the cabin and it was colder generally. Envelopes I had sitting on the passenger seat blew into the footwell. Felt more wind around my neck as well as the usual at the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Actually tested out my Z4 without the wind deflector yesterday if anyone's interested, including driving on the motorway at "70". There was a fair bit of wind coming into the cabin and it was colder generally. Envelopes I had sitting on the passenger seat blew into the footwell. Felt more wind around my neck as well as the usual at the top of my head.
My G29 Z4 has the tiny optional deflector and it makes a difference. In this car its like sitting lower down in a tub, so its maybe a bit more cosseted. Actually what I sorely miss is not having the neck heating in the Z4. The A3 has it and i've had it on in winter with the roof up! Not that it gets cold for us southern softies in this part of the UK.

Joe Achilles did a TTRS roadster/Z4 comparison, and he does bleat on about ow tall he is. He thought the TT had more buffeting. On both, the deflector is behind the window, so more prone to wind eddies. As Zephy R2 pointed out, a cabriolet has 4 windows, so the deflector sits inside the two rear windows and for me the benefit is greater.

Whatever choice you make, the TT in Mk III guise is a lovely looking car, and the roaster one of the best looking around. All the best with your search.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've a 2008 Alfa Spider as a weekend car (TT Roadster is the wife's). She prefers the Spider with the roof down as at 70 she can have her hair down and it does not blow about but in the TT with the deflector up he hair blows about 40mph onwards. The TT deflector though is perforated whereas the Spider is glass and fixed.

·
Registered
TT Roadster, S-line Quattro, Glacier. White. Tech, C&S & Open-Top Packs, Matrix, & a load more!!!
9 Posts
Hey good TT folks,

I am pretty much decided I want to buy a mk3 TT roadster and join this exclusive club :)

I am currently mulling over how important a wind deflector is. As it's not standard equipment then making it a "must have" obviously limits my buying options. I don't want to limit my options if it doesn't make a big difference.

I currently drive a mk1 Z4 which has a wind deflector. I've never tried driving without it - maybe something I should try!

In any case, different shapes of car will benefit from it in different ways I imagine, so does anyone have experience of driving the roadster with/without a wind deflector and can comment on how much of a difference it makes?

Also, I've seen some that attach to the roll bars - not sure if that's a look I want to go for, but open to ideas like this too...

Thanks in advance! Hopefully you'll be hearing more from me soon!
Just got my roadster & it was a must for me because the difference a wind deflector made in my previous ragtops, however i should say it probably makes the least difference in the TT.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
They made you pay for them on the MK3.

Although Audi were “kind” enough to put the deflector in one of the option packs. For the TTS, at least when I purchased mine in 2017, that actually made the included options about £50 more expensive than buying them all individually!

Had fun explaining that one to the dealer. Although to give him credit he did raise it with Audi UK and the error was corrected and I was refunded. Back then it could buy you a tank of petrol…

1 - 17 of 17 Posts