Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People - I'm not wishing to scaremonger but it might be worthwhile checking the integrity of the two 'guides' attached to your dipsticks. Whilst checking my oil level and wiping down the dipstick (I give the whole stick a wipe clean at the same time), I felt something 'give' under my rag. On opening it up, to my horror, I found the top guide had crack and bits of it in the rag:

This is what they look like:

. . and this are the pieces that could've fallen into my block at any time without me knowing:

With hindsight, if the plastic used to make the tubes becomes brittle and breaks over time, then it stands to reason that these guides will do they same! I'm now considering just breaking off the bottom one as they are just simply guides for the tube and it'll certainly give me some peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
IMO its best to change your dip stick and tube after about 8 years anyway. With mine not only did I loose one of the guides but the part below the dip stick handle broke away not so long ago and some inc the guide may have found its way into the engine. :( I have renewed both now.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This happened to me - broke off while checking my oil. I bought a new dipstick from Audi and replaced the old one. I cant understand why they were designed with so much plastic on them - asking for trouble if they break off and fall into the engine!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm afraid that's a real concern in my book. TBH, I'd have the sump off, sump and oil pump cleaned and filter changed just to be absolutely sure. The thought of pieces of plastic stuck in an oil capillary in the cylinder head would worry the f*** out of me! [smiley=bomb.gif]

·
Registered
195 Posts
TT Boycie said:
Ive got no guides on mine [smiley=bigcry.gif]
I wouldn't stress too much as they most probably came off in someone's hand while checking the oil. They become brittle and break off when force is put over them. If they are clean off then this is most likely that this has happened as opposed to falling off in the sump! But you can never be too sure...

Cris

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine are missing,
oil pump failed on friday, [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] after 3k miles since top end rebuild. During rebuild I was meticulous with cleaning everything, pump & strainer included, new big end bearings, conrods & pistons Engine had obviously just had a full service ,oil long service type all parts genuine VAG & engine had not been pushed.
In the process of removing it now and just checked dipstick mine are also missing, soo it will be interesting when I drop the sump off and see if this was the cause. No warning at all, momentary loss of power came to roundabout and engine cut out, restarted and heard that horrible low end rattle co-inciding with the oil pressure warning light coming on (far too late in my opinion). Been searching all weekend for a replacement engine............. APX no chance, they're like hens teeth.
Now looking at either selling as is or a different engine all together. I have spent a fortune on this car, I don't have a lot of confidence in these 1.8t engines.

Paddy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if the plastic is capable of causing such damage although I appreciate that you'll be keen to get to the bottom of the cause of your engine failure.

I think the worst that could happen is that the plastic pieces cause blockage(s) in the oil capillaries, which could lead to oil starvation . . . :eek:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
qusai said:
shall we all remove them?
It's up to you, mate. All I'm suggesting/advising is that people give theirs a check for security :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
rabTT said:
It's up to you, mate. All I'm suggesting/advising is that people give theirs a check for security
Took mine off 06:00 this morning after Reading this, I must say it was a struggle they were really on tight, but least I haven't got to worry about them falling off in a couple of years
time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
rabTT said:
I think the worst that could happen is that the plastic pieces cause blockage(s) in the oil capillaries, which could lead to oil starvation . . . :eek:
Not going to happen though as the pieces would need to make their way through the meshed gears on the oil pump and then through the filter. ;)

But I'm still going to change mine. Anyone have the P/N handy and an idea on price?

Cheers,

Josh

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Super Josh said:
rabTT said:
Not going to happen though as the pieces would need to make their way through the meshed gears on the oil pump and then through the filter. ;)

But I'm still going to change mine. Anyone have the P/N handy and an idea on price?

Cheers,

Josh
Very true as they'd get trapped up in the strainer for the oil pump . . mind you, the smaller pieces could get through and cause some problem for the pump itself. The plastic goes brittle and the little bits are little hard buggers! I don't have part nos. but I believe dipstick and tube (why not) together will come under £15 :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I'll post up the P/N later on when I've visited the dealer :)

Josh

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Mine are missing, always have been!

I've done over 25k miles in 3 years so would have thought if there was a problem it would have shown by now, I hope!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.