1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
quiz time :p
Anyone tried water injection :?:
High intake air temps on idle in Malta... 60C with outside temps of 15C.
what's the best way to go about it? Using LRP 96 octane with no Cat. Getting Millers CVL Turbo octane booster next week, will this help keep temps down or should I try to get my hands on some methanol. :!:
Tolulene was mentioned a few posts ago, can this help?
Any :idea: s would be appreciated :wink:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My mate uses Aquamist S1 system. I have one too (not fitted) but yes makes a huge difference, if you have no cats, high boost & a heavy foot, expect some flames popping out the exhaust!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Juber,
Next on my list :wink:

Anyone up to date on methanol %mixture with LRP 96 octane :?:

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
pinotattt said:
Thanks Juber,
Next on my list :wink:

Anyone up to date on methanol %mixture with LRP 96 octane :?:
About 40% Methanol, 60% Water. If you have hard water, you'd be better buying a filter / purifier also.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was said:
pinotattt

when you say water injection, do you mean water for cooling the intercooler or injection into the fuel system? they are 2 very different systems.
This is all new to me but I think injection into the fuel system is what we're after. As in my 1st post we have a 60C idling temp on our vag-com logs with an outside temp of 15C.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
No, you're injecting a very fine mist of water / methanol into the incoming airstream.
You could fit the jet into the inlet manifold and also one into the intercooler. :wink:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
pinotattt said:
quiz time :p

Any :idea: s would be appreciated :wink:
Try asking Alfred Azzopardi
at Courageous Garage
2 Ditch Road
Zabbar.

He might have some water to inject from his ditch :p :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Silversea said:
No, you're injecting a very fine mist of water / methanol into the incoming airstream.
You could fit the jet into the inlet manifold and also one into the intercooler. :wink:
This sounds the business :!: i'll look into it, thanks :wink:

Alfred Azzopardi :roll: /name sounds familiar :lol:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hi Michael, I have the Aquamist 2d system. For your particular situation water / alcohol injection would be very beneficial as it will substantially lower your charge air temperature. The two main reasons for using this set up are, one lowers the charge air temp and two stops detonation. You can run from zero up 50% methanol in your mix with the higher alcohol concentrations having a greater impact on charge temps and pure water for mostly in cylinder effects.
You will find more info here:

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Juber said:
My mate uses Aquamist S1 system. I have one too (not fitted) but yes makes a huge difference, if you have no cats, high boost & a heavy foot, expect some flames popping out the exhaust!!
what from running aquamist? you've lost me there :? flames are caused mainly when car is decatted and the way it's mapped tbh.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
acmurray said:
Hi Michael, I have the Aquamist 2d system. For your particular situation water / alcohol injection would be very beneficial as it will substantially lower your charge air temperature. The two main reasons for using this set up are, one lowers the charge air temp and two stops detonation. You can run from zero up 50% methanol in your mix with the higher alcohol concentrations having a greater impact on charge temps and pure water for mostly in cylinder effects.

Hello again my chemist friend :wink:
You guys have been the best [smiley=mexicanwave.gif]
Also looking into this option
http://www.snowperformance.net/

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
caney said:
Juber said:
what from running aquamist? you've lost me there :? flames are caused mainly when car is decatted and the way it's mapped tbh.
D-cat & stage 2 APR map is what hes running along with various ogther mods.
Im not too sure the fulll list, not my car so i wouldnt know.

But yes it spits flames. Looks cool! :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
pinotattt said:
acmurray said:

Hello again my chemist friend :wink:
You guys have been the best [smiley=mexicanwave.gif]
Also looking into this option
http://www.snowperformance.net/
thats what a lot of the guys here in the states use especially here in Arizona where in the summer it gets to be around 46C and at night its still around 35C

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both products seem the business.
I'll discuss with my tuner and take it from there.
Arizona is hot 8)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:idea: Some pics and tips after installation would be appreciated :wink:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
caney said:
Juber said:
You can get a lick of flame with water injection (obviously if decated). The water mist slows down the flame front in the cylinder and if the timing is off the mix can still be burning when it leaves through the exhaust valves. You will have a real fireworks display going if you have a misfire followed by flame escaping from the cylinder as the mix from the misfire ignites in the downpipe. :twisted:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The guy I corrisponded with at snowperformance said we should expect power gains of around 10 to 20% :eek:
Anyone think this is realistic :?:

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
pinotattt said:
The guy I corrisponded with at snowperformance said we should expect power gains of around 10 to 20% :eek:
Anyone think this is realistic :?:
It's not really a power gain - it's recover of power lost due to the pulled timing that the higher intake temps result in.

I'm running the high-flow Aquamist HFS-5 system, which comes with the cool DDS3 controller, which I have vent mounted...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.