Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 225 Quattro and have some water and/or oil on my air filter coming up the hose that is attached to the air box coming from the secondary air pump. Does anyone know what this fault is and any suggestions on fixes?? I already replaced the MAF and i suspect i will be replacing another one if i dont fix this soon!! Thanks....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hmmm, can't really help here but if you PM Wak and include pics if possible, he'll should be able to help. Or you could try John-H :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
horsesuitedfool said:
I have a 99 225 Quattro and have some water and/or oil on my air filter coming up the hose that is attached to the air box coming from the secondary air pump. Does anyone know what this fault is and any suggestions on fixes?? I already replaced the MAF and i suspect i will be replacing another one if i dont fix this soon!! Thanks....
Hi, I had exactly the same problem on my 99 225. Apparently its caused by a faulty/stuck valve in the exhaust system which means the exhaust gases can enter the airbox permanently. One forum user said he got the valve fixed by Audi and it cost around £900. The solution that I went for after talking to various people on here was:

1. Replace the APX airbox lid with a BAM airbox lid (different engine code, this means you no longer have the outlet for the secondary air pump). (Cost £10 off a kind forum user who had one spare)

2. Zip tie a foam microphone cover over the resulting pipe and zip tie this to something study in the engine bay to stop it flailing around. (cost £1.99 I think)

3. Replaced my air filter with a K&N panel filter. (cost £60 ish)

4. Replaced my MAF with a genuine Bosch unit (harder than I thought to get hold of, it seems). (Cost £90+VAT, but less if you have an old one to send back. I didn't, long story)

5. While I had the thing apart I 'wak'ed the airbox base, to improve the sound. (Cost, £0!)

So total cost was approx £175.

Hope that helps, any questions u can PM me.
[/b]

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that, i was thinking of getting an induction kit to seperate them but didnt want it to be obvious that it had been modified. I think i will do the same as you as it will still look standard at a glance!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.