Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read various posts about the time interval for water pump changes. Our TT225 roadster had its cambelt changed at 40,000 miles. It's now nearly onto 60,000. I have discussed the water pump change mileage with Teesside Audi and they say there' s no fixed interval for this to be done (also I've been unable to find it listed in the service book or handbook, perhaps I've not looked hard enough). Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
ChrisPell said:
I've read various posts about the time interval for water pump changes. Our TT225 roadster had its cambelt changed at 40,000 miles. It's now nearly onto 60,000. I have discussed the water pump change mileage with Teesside Audi and they say there' s no fixed interval for this to be done (also I've been unable to find it listed in the service book or handbook, perhaps I've not looked hard enough). Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris.
No there will not be a listed mileage/time as it is not supposed to fall apart in the manner that it does.

Perceived wisdom is to change it when the cambelt is done, which makes perfect sense. When was your belt done, I mean in terms of time?

It is recommended to change the cambelt at 65,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes soonest. I'd say wait until your next cambelt replacement and get it done then. You'll have to hope it doesn't fail between now and then, although you normally get signs of the impending failure in the form of high engine temperatures.

We had our cambelt changed last year at 56,000 miles (53 plate) because there was no record in the service book of it having been changed. We changed the water pump at the same time for one with a metal impeller. The old original pump was still in good condition with no visible signs of the blades breaking but as we were in there we changed it anyway.

HTH

Mark.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,349 Posts
Hi, As Mark says, replace water pump with next cam belt change, plenty of warning is water pump failing.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I had had mine done at just over 60k on a 2001 225 bam.
I had strange cooling issues at the time (may 2009)
a temp sensor & thermostat replacement did not resolve.
As a approved used audi tt I assumed it had been done
however close inspection of the service book revealed it had not :x
I simply went to midland VW and had them do it for £260 a small price to pay
for peace of mind now I know its been done and yes the water pump impeller was
smashed so I was glad I had it done the belt itself did not look too bad :roll:
I am now @ 80k with no issues :mrgreen:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks all for the advice. Cam belt was done at 5yrs, 40,000mls. I intend to get the water pump and cam belt done at 65,000. I suppose the pump is doing well at nearly ten years old!

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
rodhotter said:
the OE pumps plastic impeller stinks!!!
I have not long replaced the full set during a cam belt change at Midland VW and the new water pump has a metal impeller. I can see though why Audi used a plastic one, if in the very unlikely event that the impeller ever became unbalanced or debris snagged it against the pump casing it would disintegrate (sacrificial part)and temps would then start to rise giving you notice and time to stop, however, if the metal one snags on the casing it might stop dead and also stop the cam belt and then we are in a world of pain as the crank shaft will just snap the belt. Highly unlikely I know, probably 1 in 10,000 but be warned, it could happen. Never buy a cheap water pump with a metal impeller, use suppliers that are recommended on here, like ECP for example and a good garage to fit everything, its not worth the risk to save a few pounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts