Audi TT Forum banner

Wet footwell on Mk1 Roadster

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  droopsnoot 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm New to TTF.
Ive had my car for 2 days now and noticed the front footwells are soaking, it thought at first it might be the Valet it had before i bought it but i lifted the carpets today and there was far too much water under there for it to be that.

I have been through a few threads on here to find out some info, it could be the rear drainage channels behind the door pillars where the roof folds down but i thought the carpets under the seats would be wet as well as the front?
Is there something under the dashboard to do with the air con which can leak? or is there any other drainage channels to check in the front?

many thanks
Ian

#2 ·
Check the point where these three meet.

Roof Meets the Windscreen
Door glass meets the Roof Edge.

That point can leak in rainy weather and drop water directly to an angled part of the floor which drops down to the footwell.

Close the car up and sit inside and have someone use a hose to check those areas.

#3 ·
Thanks, its Disappointing that this is happening with this TT I've just purchased [smiley=bigcry.gif] ,
I have a Renault Laguna estate with the same problem but I'm not that bothered about that. I call it the "Renault Lagondola" I've just put a hole in the floor to sort that problem but I'm not putting a hole in the Audi floor :(

#4 ·
I have cleared the holes from the top behind the door pillars but when i pour water down the drain hole it comes out under the car in the middle of the front footwell. so I'm assuming its still getting under the carpet? has anyone any adea's ?

#5 ·
Did it rain? Was the roof down?

;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

#6 ·
I too had this problem - It was caused by the roof drains being blocked - the water seaped through into the rear storage compartments (check these for damp) and down onto the carpet - everywhere was sodden. I tried clearing the roof drains but I think I ripped them because they just extra long condoms !! And yes the water now comes out through one of the floorpan drains under the seat and not out under the wheel arch. Whilst checking the floorpan drains I also found a few of them were also blocked, I cleared them out only to get drenched as the water gushed out. Happy rodding !!

#7 ·
I think the previous owner must have pierced the 'condom' drains when poking them, I used a plastic coated earth cable,to unblock but the water shouldn't be coming out of the footwells.
I would like to try and replace the rubber tubes but I think it would be a very difficult job to get in there, i will look for some instructions on how to do it.

#8 ·
Hi,
Sent this reply to a few people with same problem, if you try it can you let me know if it worked for you.
On drivers side, remove screws that hold bonnet release handle and trim retaining screw, remove the small trim panel.
Now pull up to unclip the trim strip that runs along edge of footwell ( only up to where it goes under the next rear trim panel ).
You can now see where the rubber seal attaches to car and also how carpet is held in place.
What became obvious on unclipping the trim strip is that the water was getting into car by creeping over rubber seal where it attaches to car and under the trim strip then onto carpet. What I did was run a fine bead of roof seal (should be able to get this from builders merchants or B&Q etc,) along top of seal so that the trim strip beds down onto it.
Used roof seal because it is none setting and will stay flexible.
When all put back together did this. Sprayed seal with WD40 and leave for 5 minutes this will plump up the seal, then wipe off and spray with silicone spray.
Did this 2 years ago and no problems since

#9 ·
mm1946 said:
Hi,
Sent this reply to a few people with same problem, if you try it can you let me know if it worked for you.
On drivers side, remove screws that hold bonnet release handle and trim retaining screw, remove the small trim panel.
Now pull up to unclip the trim strip that runs along edge of footwell ( only up to where it goes under the next rear trim panel ).
You can now see where the rubber seal attaches to car and also how carpet is held in place.
What became obvious on unclipping the trim strip is that the water was getting into car by creeping over rubber seal where it attaches to car and under the trim strip then onto carpet. What I did was run a fine bead of roof seal (should be able to get this from builders merchants or B&Q etc,) along top of seal so that the trim strip beds down onto it.
Used roof seal because it is none setting and will stay flexible.
When all put back together did this. Sprayed seal with WD40 and leave for 5 minutes this will plump up the seal, then wipe off and spray with silicone spray.
Did this 2 years ago and no problems since
Hi mate
Was you leak coming in from under the door seal then? only this is coming in from the back where the hood goes down just behind the door post then running through the inner cill into the floorpan.

#10 ·
No, the water was getting over the top of the rubber seal and under the plastic trim. That was why I put the roof seal on top of the rubber seal and the plastic trim went down on the top of the sealant. Hope this makes it clear.
From what you describe have you checked the rear drains are not blocked.
Also have read somewhere in the forum that if the electric cable to the rear window comes out of it's clips it can get in the way of the water flow to the rear drains and direct the water into rear compartment.
Hope this gets you sorted.

#11 ·
mm1946 said:
I did this bit on mine, was getting a lot of water in the footwells but now the only part that's leaking is the corner where the top of the windscreen pillar meets the top of the quarterlight frame. I didn't use the sealant though.

I have been relucant to post until now as I didn't want to tempt fate, but after the rain we've had over the last few days I think it's fair to say it's cured. So thanks MM1946 for the suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.