Votes: 11 22.4%
  • MK5 Golf GTI

Votes: 12 24.5%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What car would you have and why? i realise they are all different but my friend is thinking of getting 1 of these.

He already had an Astra VXR and Ibiza Cupra

This is what i think

Ford Focus ST - Fairly fast hatchback which is well built and good tuning capability.
Corsa VXR - Little pocket rocket, sporty styling but lacks refinement.
Renault Clio 197 - Little bit different with funky looks and good high revving NA engine.
Mazda RX8 - Such a bargain rwd sports car but possibly rotary engine expensive and bad mpg
Honda S2000 - bullet proof VTEC engine and fast fun rwd roadster.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Basscube said:
What car would you have and why? i realise they are all different but my friend is thinking of getting 1 of these.

This is what i think

Ford Focus ST - Fairly fast hatchback which is well built and good tuning capability.
Renault Clio 197 - Little bit different with funky looks and good high revving NA engine.
Mazda RX8 - Such a bargain rwd sports car but possibly rotary engine expensive and bad mpg
If I fitted in it, I'd take the S2000 every time. I don't fit though, which is why I chose the Z4 when I was looking for a roadster (and your friend should consider them too).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Bit too much of a range there really..

ST - too poor mpg for my liking.

Corsa - It's a Corsa, hes already had an Astra so surely that's a downgrade.

Clio - wouldn't bother with the 197 now that the 200 is about..

RX8 - no way, wouldn't take my chances

S2000 - awesome car, little dated but depends if he wants a 2 seated soft top as this is the only one on the list?

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
Out of those options, I'd pick the Focus ST.

Vauxhalls in general do nothing for me - though I do have a slight soft spot for them as my first car was a Cavalier. Unfortunatley, though, they are almost always worse to drive than their Ford counterparts - with huge understeer - despite their supposed connection with Lotus.

RX-8 - If rotary engines were the way forward, everyone would be using them. I like the idea of the RX-8 though, but reports of high running costs and having to replacethe tips at around 80k would put me off.

S2000 - high revving and bullet proof, but no torque and very snappy on oversteer. Did a Honda driving day a while back, and I much prefered the Civic Type R.

Renault Clio. Great little pocket rockets, but I've had French cars in the past and not been impressed by build quality.

In reality though, I'd end up with none of those. I'd have a Golf GTi over the Focus every day of the week.

·
Registered
83,926 Posts
Focus ST for me almost bought a new RS last year so would defo be the ST s2000 is also very nice but very twitchy in the wet and there are a lot of crashed ones out there

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. Thanks guys you can vote you know :p

He considered both a golf mk5 gti and r32 but said they do nothing for him :eek:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spandex said:
Basscube said:

This is what i think

If I fitted in it, I'd take the S2000 every time. I don't fit though, which is why I chose the Z4 when I was looking for a roadster (and your friend should consider them too).
He doesn'tlike BMW's allthough he was gonna get a E46 M3 at one point lol.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Focus ST without a doubt.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Focus for me out of that list anyway. Its reasonably priced and I've always found Focus's good cars to drive.

The corsa VXR is reasonably priced and fast but its too small for me and is driven by spoilt 18 year old's with rich parents

The RX8 I would avoid like the plague.

The Clio doesn't do anything for me

The S2000 I like the look of and being Honda i'm sure its built well and reliable but apart from that I know little about them other than VTECs like to be revved and can feel a bit gutless down the rev range.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
S2K all the way.

good to mod as well.

Great balance and handling. FW - much better for putting power down and having fun!
Very strong owner community.
Can get a hard top roof for winter as well.

Downside - plastic inside and very dated.

French - Clio will fall apart again FF drive and now looking outdated to new clio's
Corsa - Chav ish becoming very popular. Not a bad little car just can't put the power down very well (FF drive)

RX8 - would be second for me if it was 1 year old. Wouldn't want to keep it long or pick up one 4 / 5 years old as engine just doesn't last. Couldn't ever be a main car as far to thirsty - if you take into account total cost of ownership i.e fuel and everything these are not cheap cars.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate they are all totally different cars i said the Focus ST too myself as had a focus TDCI and was a great car. Would love an ST and if sold mine would probably get one 8)

S2000's i have always wanted. Well since i had a CRX Del sol 8 years ago. Look stunning imo.

He just said would consider a MK5 Golf GTI if had leather and was manual. So that could be an option?

Do they do the GTI with xenons and 4motion? i know the R32 is 4WD

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow didn't realise the Focus ST would get so many votes. Would you get the orange colour? or something like white blue or grey? :p

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They a couple of tuned ones 260, 260 and even 300bhp :eek:

Bet that will be rapid. Got an RS clutch too 8)

PS Stunning ST in white :roll:

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
My views :

Focus ST = juicy but sounds great
Corsa VXR = Chav
Clio 197 = slow and noisy
RX8= unreliable and slow
S2000= intriguing but torque shy
Mk5 GTI = one of the best allround cars ever made

So for me it would be the Golf out of that list.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
neilc said:
My views :

Focus ST = juicy but sounds great
Corsa VXR = Chav
Clio 197 = slow and noisy
RX8= unreliable and slow
S2000= intriguing but torque shy
Mk5 GTI = one of the best allround cars ever made

So for me it would be the Golf out of that list.
I agree the golf is an amazing car and to be honest was convincing him to buy a TT. But he only likes the mk2 and can only afford the mk1. lol.

what do you think of the mk6 gti? of Golf R32?

i know the mk5 gti has the same engine as the FSI engine in my car. Only my TT is lighter :roll:

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool just wondered what you thought :)

do they do the MK5 gti with 4motion? or is that only the R32/Diesel?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts