Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sline is a good start. Leather, extended leather, heated seats, comfort pack, privacy glass, phone prep and 19" wheels. Oh and Quattro. IMHO of course. :wink:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would rule out s-tronic if your looking at a car which is around 3yrs old.....
RNSE Satnav , leather, 19" wheels with descent tyres

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maxamus007 said:
I would rule out s-tronic if your looking at a car which is around 3yrs old.....
really how comes, was looking for a 2011 or 2012 car.

also looking on audi used website the second hand cars are around £26K, i looked on drive the deal and can get a new black edition TDI or 2.0 petrol Black for £26K...is this right?

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
r4vv said:
maxamus007 said:

also looking on audi used website the second hand cars are around £26K, i looked on drive the deal and can get a new black edition TDI or 2.0 petrol Black for £26K...is this right?
Yes, buy a new one off DtD.

S-tronic can be a nightmare for a small proportion of owners. I wouldn't buy one having experienced the issues in two previous DSG cars. When it works, it's fabulous. When it breaks, you do not want to be out of warranty cover if you are not the original owner!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
r4vv said:
maxamus007 said:

I wouldn't touch an s-tronic without warranty. Seeing as your looking at cars which are less than 3yrs old you should be ok. You can extend the warranty for upto 5yrs from new so that gives you another few yrs with cover.

Audi will always charge you over the odds on used cars. Expect to pay around 3k over private.
I think new black editions are around 29/30k from Audi that is. You may get better deals elsewhere...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually the spec with DVD Sat Nav and Comfort and controls pack is around £29K.

Now im stuck whether to go for a new one or stick to £26K for a 61 plate with 3000-7000miles?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
r4vv said:
Looking to get a 2.0 S Line or TDI S Line TT.

Going to get a second hand one from the dealers. What are the ideal extras i should look for on a TT?
The extras I specified on my TDi are:
1. S-Tronic
2. Sat Nav
3. Mag ride
4. Cruise control
5. Folding wing mirrors
6. Quattro (not an extra on the TDi)

S-Tronic is great - definitely worth the money, but if you're buying s/h you'll find very few TDis with this option because it was only recently an option. Sat Nav is expensive and it doesn't have full postcode search (!!!) so I'm not so sure about this option. Mag Ride is truly superb and is worth every penny but you will find very, very few s/h TTs with this option - people prefer to wreck the ride and handling of their cars with 19" wheels rather than improve the ride and handling with adaptive dampers. Cruise control is worth the £220. Folding mirrors are pretty unnecessary because they only stickout a couple of inches. Quattro is worth it if you live where it gets snowy.

The one extra I regret not adding is lumbar support - the seats are not great - but again you'll rarely find that s/h.

I'd avoid 19" wheels like the plague, especially on S-lines which have hard lowered suspension anyway. They also tram-line and cost a fortune to re-tyre.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Personally I'd look for bluetooth and sat nav as minimum spec. You pay a premium for the RNS-E, but it's the only extra worth anything at all come sale or trade-in time, typically adding about £1K to the value of the car.

You do pay through the nose for a well spec'd Audi of any flavour and the TT is no exception, but if you're contemplating an outlay of £29K you're in the ball park for a late model low mileage TTS. :wink:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
For 29k i would get a year or 2 old TTS.
No question about it!

Theres loads between 25-30k going private with lots of goodies on them on autotrader.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
r4vv said:
Was thinking of buying private on autotrader but thought if i buy from audi i get warranty with them etc.
If you buy a car which is less than 3yrs old then you are still covered by the default Audi warranty period. Doesnt matter if you buy from an Audi dealership or private. The same stands for both although a dealer might throw in some extras...

After the initial 3yrs are up, you have a choice to extend it further for another 2yrs direct from Audi (this is what i am doing) Its cost of around £600-1200 per year but it depends on the model of the car.

Buying private would save you a few grand as Audi do rip off their customers and the way things are at the moment with the economy, people are desperate to sell cars. Its a buyers market so extra savings are to be had.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
It depends on your mileage and what you want from a car of course, but I'd seriously consider a used TTS. The TTS has a great spec as standard....

272 bhp
Quattro 4WD, makes a huge difference to the handling.
Extended leather package - greatly enhances the cabin appearance.
Magride suspension.
Xenon headlights and DRLs.

Fuel economy is a little down on the 2.0 S-Line I had previously but not much, and insurance will be about the same - in fact it was slightly cheaper than my S-Line.

Look for a well spec'd low mileage used car and you can't really go wrong - the TTS is a performance bargain!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
igotone said:
It depends on your mileage and what you want from a car of course, but I'd seriously consider a used TTS. The TTS has a great spec as standard....

272 bhp
Quattro 4WD, makes a huge difference to the handling.
Extended leather package - greatly enhances the cabin appearance.
Magride suspension.
Xenon headlights and DRLs.

Fuel economy is a little down on the 2.0 S-Line I had previously but not much, and insurance will be about the same - in fact it was slightly cheaper than my S-Line.

Look for a well spec'd low mileage used car and you can't really go wrong - the TTS is a performance bargain!
Thanks, helps a lot.
This will be a weekend car who i will be sharing with my dad so going to be mainly town driving with hardly any mileage.
My dad loves diesels and has his heart set on one, but i am not too fussed.
I would go for a TTS but i am 24 and my insurance on a TTS is quite a big difference compared to a S-Line.

Just looked on autotrader and Audi Used, it looks like i can get a 61 plate 2-7000 miles TT Sline for around £25K mark.
There is not anything similar on autotrader they are quite high priced.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Well there's no denying the advantage of the diesel for fuel economy. Having had a 2.0 S-Line, I can assure you it's plenty quick enough for most real life driving - goes like cack off a stick. :p If it has a fault it's that putting that power down through the front wheels can be tricky sometimes, particularly in the wet, but that apart - you can't really go wrong. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
igotone said:
Well there's no denying the advantage of the diesel for fuel economy. Having had a 2.0 S-Line, I can assure you it's plenty quick enough for most real life driving - goes like cack off a stick. :p If it has a fault it's that putting that power down through the front wheels can be tricky sometimes, particularly in the wet, but that apart - you can't really go wrong. Good luck in your search.
Thanks, what would you go for if you was in my position the TDI or the petrol?
Been looking for a few weeks on audi used and auto trader but the prices difference is very little

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
r4vv said:
igotone said:
Thanks, what would you go for if you was in my position the TDI or the petrol?
Been looking for a few weeks on audi used and auto trader but the prices difference is very little
Well I'm not a great fan of diesels, and I only do 8-10K miles a year these days, so there's no compelling reason for me to consider one. If I was in the position to buy a weekend toy, which isn't going to do a lot of miles then economy would be my last consideration - I'd be looking for something really, really silly! :p

BTW if your dad goes down on the insurance as the main driver and you as a named driver it should make a big difference to the premium and nothing wrong with that at all if you're going to be joint users.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Getting a diesel for a high mileage daily car - fine.

Getting a diesel for a weekend car that's used mostly in town - silly!

You'll have all the disadvantages without making the most of the advantages!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
A partner that cleans your wheels for you daily and gives her the full works at the weekend eh Lizzibee!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd avoid 19" wheels like the plague, especially on S-lines which have hard lowered suspension anyway. They also tram-line and cost a fortune to re-tyre.

I have the RNSE Sat Nav, which even tho it doesn't do all the postcode is no real problem. Its a good system, just getting old now, compared to a new A6 I had on loan. The sat nav in that was fantastic!! AMI is good for music etc, as is Privacy Glass, auto lights/wipers and cruise control. Having got 19's on my Black Edition S-Line, the only thing I agree with is the relative cost for 4 new tyres, which I got for £880 after 16000 miles. The ride isn't to hard unless you have a bad back imho, and I have never experienced my TT tram lining esp coming from a 3 series that ran run flats, now that was terrible for tram lining!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts