Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

Im interested in spacing out the wheels and if only to give the car that slightly wider fatter look but do they increase road holding and cornering too?

I already have the 9 spoke 18" audi alloys and theyre nice and wide but wider = GOOD imo.....

I was also wondering if they might have any adverse effect on the running gear and suspension bushes etc as the wheels are that little bit further out and was worried they might affect the operation of the suspension/camber and so on....

Just need a little education on them really.

Cheers

·
Registered
84,370 Posts
In most cases they are just for looks unless you have big brakes and you need them to clear the calipers

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Any widening of the stance of the wheels has to have a beneficial effect on cornering and general road holding. That's plain physics. How much that actually equates to in practice is a very different matter. In truth it's probably minimal. But they improve the stealth and looks of the car. Unless spacers are very wide, the effect on running gear is not too onerous. I don't recall anyone on this forum saying that spacers have caused premature wear of running gear parts. It used to be the case with BMC Minis years ago, but their bearings were hardly comparable with those fitted to modern day Audis. I would say, fit with confidence, and enjoy!

Oh yeah, get ali hubcentric ones for lightweight and balance.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ttsteve said:
Any widening of the stance of the wheels has to have a beneficial effect on cornering and general road holding. That's plain physics. How much that actually equates to in practice is a very different matter. In truth it's probably minimal. But they improve the stealth and looks of the car. Unless spacers are very wide, the effect on running gear is not too onerous. I don't recall anyone on this forum saying that spacers have caused premature wear of running gear parts. It used to be the case with BMC Minis years ago, but their bearings were hardly comparable with those fitted to modern day Audis. I would say, fit with confidence, and enjoy!

Oh yeah, get ali hubcentric ones for lightweight and balance.
That has got to be the most clear and concise description, nice one.

Im sold, thanks a million mate.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Agreed with above, you will loose turning cicle tho and turn in will be slower, these things you probally wont notice tho

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
ttsteve said:
Any widening of the stance of the wheels has to have a beneficial effect on cornering and general road holding. That's plain physics.
On a smooth race track that is the case but on undulating normal roads it can be another matter.

Fitting spacers does alter the steering geometry; it changes the scrub radius - look up scrub radius on the 'net
and you will see that it can give some handling problems, especially under braking.

I've widened the stance of the wheels on my road legal track car and as much as it has improved ultimate road holding,
it has spoiled the general handling.

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
HighTT said:
ttsteve said:
Any widening of the stance of the wheels has to have a beneficial effect on cornering and general road holding. That's plain physics.
On a smooth race track that is the case but on undulating normal roads it can be another matter.

Fitting spacers does alter the steering geometry; it changes the scrub radius - look up scrub radius on the 'net
and you will see that it can give some handling problems, especially under braking.

I've widened the stance of the wheels on my road legal track car and as much as it has improved ultimate road holding,
it has spoiled the general handling.
There's going to be an effect on the toe compromise too I would have thought as all the forces increase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.