Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 58 plate S-tronic which i bought in March 2012 from an aproved used dealer.

Few weeks now ive noticed that when changing gear in manual mode from 2nd - 3rd at about 2000-2500 rpm the gear box rattles on upshift. This happens when in D mode sometimes and when downshifting also.

I called my local dealer who has advised they can look at it, but if its not covered under approved used warranty there will be a charge of £140 for the diaognistics. If it is covered they will fix it and of course no charge. In all the times ive had an approved used audi ive never come across this...

Should i just book the car in and pray its covered?? If its not im £140 out of pocket, with the potential of haveing to fork out to repair the box on top...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Forget the warranty.

The bottom line is under the sales of goods act the car has to be as described and if it is not then you should be able to get them to pay for repairs or ultimately put it right.

I would personally get my money back and get a new car :?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
What?

Based on the above you'd go back to the garage and demand your money back?

Just take it back to the garage you bought it from and get them to look at it - a gearbox rattle should be covered as part of the AUC warranty.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Basscube said:
Forget the warranty.

The bottom line is under the sales of goods act the car has to be as described and if it is not then you should be able to get them to pay for repairs or ultimately put it right.

6 months after purchase???!!! Audi Used Approved return guarantee is 30 days.

Just take it back under warranty and get them to fix it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Take it back and get them to fix it. I have a feeling it's academic of syrinx failure....again.
Seems to be a fair few of late from 2007-2009 cars....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WozzaTT said:
Basscube said:
Forget the warranty.

My local dealer said take it back to the dealer i bought it from... only issue with that is.. i live in London and bought the car from Derby Audi. ive had a search on the internet and it seems commom, but with the 7 speed dsg in the A1 etc..But going on youtube, the saounds the A1 are exeriencing and symptoms are identical to mine.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
POSTY555 said:
WozzaTT said:
Basscube said:
Forget the warranty.

My local dealer said take it back to the dealer i bought it from... only issue with that is.. i live in London and bought the car from Derby Audi. ive had a search on the internet and it seems commom, but with the 7 speed dsg in the A1 etc..But going on youtube, the saounds the A1 are exeriencing and symptoms are identical to mine.
You should be able to take it back to any Audi dealership with a Used Approved warranty, surely?

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Six months on is too late for demanding a refund under SoG Acts and anyway a fault appearing now does not indicate that the car was incorrectly described.

Firstly I'd double check what warranty cover you have and the Ts & Cs in it. If it's Audi Used warranty I would be very surprised if it excluded the major drive train components, other than wear items like the clutch.

Apart from that, if the car has always been serviced by Audi then they seem to look favourably at a 'good will gesture' on S-Tronic problems even if they occur outside the warranty period.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I would personally get my money back and get a new car :?[/quote]

Just take it back under warranty and get them to fix it.[/quote]

My local dealer said take it back to the dealer i bought it from... only issue with that is.. i live in London and bought the car from Derby Audi. ive had a search on the internet and it seems commom, but with the 7 speed dsg in the A1 etc..But going on youtube, the saounds the A1 are exeriencing and symptoms are identical to mine.[/quote]

yh.. but the £140 charge to have a look is what gets me. If they find no problem £140, if they find a problem not under waranty £140, if they find a problem under waranty £0..when i asked what gearbox parts is covered under aproved used, they said they couldnt tell me until they have a look at the car..

You should be able to take it back to any Audi dealership with a Used Approved warranty, surely?[/quote]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
brittan said:
Six months on is too late for demanding a refund under SoG Acts and anyway a fault appearing now does not indicate that the car was incorrectly described.

Firstly I'd double check what warranty cover you have and the Ts & Cs in it. If it's Audi Used warranty I would be very surprised if it excluded the major drive train components, other than wear items like the clutch.

Apart from that, if the car has always been serviced by Audi then they seem to look favourably at a 'good will gesture' on S-Tronic problems even if they occur outside the warranty period.
Searching the net, a few people with this issue have had clutches replaced under new car warranty with a s-tronic firmware update. The car has only done 21000 miles in 4 years..but who knows how the previous used to drive it.. i know im a granny.

Im tempted to bite the bullit drop the car in and pray its covered!...

Link below to A1 forum
http://test.a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/view ... f=7&t=3626

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
They won't tell you what's covered until they've had a look at it?? Sounds like they're taking the p*ss.

Have you not still got your warranty paperwork from when you bought the car? As has been said, I can't imagine the Audi warranty doesn't cover all the gearbox and its components. Difficult to imagine the problems you're experiencing are being caused by a non-warranty item.

Personally I'd get on to Audi CS and ask them a) what's this nonsense about having to go back to the original dealer and b) wtf is a main dealer doing saying they won't tell you what's covered.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WozzaTT said:
They won't tell you what's covered until they've had a look at it?? Sounds like they're taking the p*ss.

Have you not still got your warranty paperwork from when you bought the car? As has been said, I can't imagine the Audi warranty doesn't cover all the gearbox and its components. Difficult to imagine the problems you're experiencing are being caused by a non-warranty item.

Personally I'd get on to Audi CS and ask them a) what's this nonsense about having to go back to the original dealer and b) wtf is a main dealer doing saying they won't tell you what's covered.
This is exactly what i did.

Audi customer service says, if the dealer wants to charge £140, thats between the customer and the dealer. its outside of Audi CS.

With the warranty, Audi CS says the dealer will look at the car, submit info to the warranty team.. the warranty will then decide if its covered or not, and let the dealer know who will then let myself know..

Its a joke.. as soon as you mention Auto gearbox they sending you round the houses with no definitive answer.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
POSTY555 said:
yh.. but the £140 charge to have a look is what gets me. If they find no problem £140, if they find a problem not under waranty £140, if they find a problem under waranty £0..when i asked what gearbox parts is covered under aproved used, they said they couldnt tell me until they have a look at the car..
You clearly think there is a problem so If they find no problem £140, should not occur.

Audi Used warranty terms here: http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/approve ... tions.html
which says "All electrical and mechanical factory-fitted components are covered against sudden electrical or mechanical failure."
The only exclusion relevant to the gearbox is "Worn clutch pressure plates, bearings and frictional material"

If you give the go ahead for the initial work and it's worn bits as above, you'll pay for the entire repair. If the problem is something else you'll pay nothing. The dealer should certainly have been able to tell you what I've written above ref the warranty but from their point of view they cannot say what the problem is until they've had a proper look: and until then they cannot say with certainty whether or not the repair cost is covered by the warranty.

Apart from taking the car to an independent garage what other choice do you have, particularly if you want to (hopefully) make use of the warranty you've paid for?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brittan said:
POSTY555 said:
You clearly think there is a problem so If they find no problem £140, should not occur.

Audi Used warranty terms here: http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/approve ... tions.html
which says "All electrical and mechanical factory-fitted components are covered against sudden electrical or mechanical failure."
The only exclusion relevant to the gearbox is "Worn clutch pressure plates, bearings and frictional material"

If you give the go ahead for the initial work and it's worn bits as above, you'll pay for the entire repair. If the problem is something else you'll pay nothing. The dealer should certainly have been able to tell you what I've written above ref the warranty but from their point of view they cannot say what the problem is until they've had a proper look: and until then they cannot say with certainty whether or not the repair cost is covered by the warranty.

Apart from taking the car to an independent garage what other choice do you have, particularly if you want to (hopefully) make use of the warranty you've paid for?
Your right...given that the gear box is a vital point of the car.. i'm just going to have to book it in and see how i get on.. That £140 charge is a joke...im wondering if i had another fault that is 100% covered under warranty, whether the £140 would get waivered.. because warranty work did take place?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
POSTY555 said:
brittan said:
POSTY555 said:

Your right...given that the gear box is a vital point of the car.. i'm just going to have to book it in and see how i get on.. That £140 charge is a joke...im wondering if i had another fault that is 100% covered under warranty, whether the £140 would get waivered.. because warranty work did take place?
Definitely - warranty work shouldn't cost you a penny. I'm sure it'll be covered and all will be well - let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
POSTY555 said:
brittan said:
POSTY555 said:

Definitely - warranty work shouldn't cost you a penny. I'm sure it'll be covered and all will be well - let us know how you get on.[/quote]

I will do..

i just fear they will do anything not to fix it under warranty..

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
WozzaTT said:
Basscube said:
Forget the warranty.

he said wasn't under warranty or is not covered

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
brittan said:
POSTY555 said:

Worn clutch friction material should be easy to diagnose, however don't know about bearings, would they have to remove components to be sure. I assume the £ 140 is to cover the labour to find out. I would be surprised if you are not covered.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When a dealer sells a vehicle it should be covered for all mechanicals and electrics for at least 6 months.
Take it back to the dealer who sold it to you and demand it gets done they won't want anyone kicking off in their showroom.
What's the point of buying of a dealer you would be as well buying private !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts