Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to purchase a set of coil overs for the TT but I'm not sure what to go for. Any recommendations for me from your experiences? I'm looking to spend around £1k ish and was looking at the bilstein Pss9's? Anybody got these and how good are they compared to cheaper ones around the £800 mark.
Thanks in advance for any help with this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm happy to hear that as the bilsteins are what I keep going back to. Although the price is a bit more than planned but I suppose you get what you pay for and my TT is a great car but do feel it's let down with the handling a bit for my liking. Cheers for the advice.

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
marknjayne said:
I have always run Ap on Vag cars,,,,made in the same factory by the same people as KW and IMO are a fantastic coilover,having my old Jamex removed and fitting AP at this very moment
Considering you are new here you are really going to town on that TT. Good on you :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having lots of fun with this car and will hopefully do the arb's and the bushes as long as I don't tell the wife! I was running an Evo 9 fq340 before my TT and it was a great handling car and the steering was excellent too. I find the TT under steers too much at the limit and doesn't suit my style of driving. But for the money I paid its a phenomenal car! I've been looking online and there is so much that can be tweaked and as long as I can afford it I'll modify it until I get what I want as its a solid car to start with. Oh can anyone tell me how to post a pic from iPhone to this thread? I managed to put them up in the "garage" but can't see how to do it when posting

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Right one of these days i am going to put together a definitive coilover info post. :) And make it a sticky. [smiley=book2.gif]

Neil didn't you have b14's on your qs? Was not aware you had fully adjustable pss9's?

Roccomax if you can wait for a week i will be fitting my pss9's to my qs. And will be posting a full report. :p Billys are the kings of coilovers...
The b14's are more to your price bracket. Same as pss9's but not fully damping adjustable.
They are set at dial 5. Midway point of the pss9 adjustable spectrum.

I am going for the pss9's because i believe adjustability of damping front to rear is a good thing. And also because i am a fussy git. :) And a mechanical perfectionist. :p

Damien.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Roccomax said:
I'm having lots of fun with this car and will hopefully do the arb's and the bushes as long as I don't tell the wife! I was running an Evo 9 fq340 before my TT and it was a great handling car and the steering was excellent too. I find the TT under steers too much at the limit and doesn't suit my style of driving. But for the money I paid its a phenomenal car! I've been looking online and there is so much that can be tweaked and as long as I can afford it I'll modify it until I get what I want as its a solid car to start with. Oh can anyone tell me how to post a pic from iPhone to this thread? I managed to put them up in the "garage" but can't see how to do it when posting
Nice to hear you are a chassis jocky....As am i. For me if i had to make a choice i would rather have
a sublime handling car than 500bhp.

You need to, as the lads have said, get your self some H&R arb's and set the rear to its stiffest setting. And uprate your bushes to poly superpro. And the clincher is defcon front sleeves. These two factors alone absolutely transform the TT....from a joke under steering no feedback, head in your hands..."what have i bought this for" nightmare, to a riverdancing nimble quick steering smile inducing corner hugging sports car chassis.

Damien.

·
Registered
240 Posts
neilc said:
marknjayne said:
I have always run Ap on Vag cars,,,,made in the same factory by the same people as KW and IMO are a fantastic coilover,having my old Jamex removed and fitting AP at this very moment
Considering you are new here you are really going to town on that TT. Good on you :)
its the influence of lego man and sheldon with their 500 + hp TT's plus im used to modding cars,owned 8 skylines,few VAG cars,lots of other jap stuff,AMG mercs ,M3's etc etc

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
TTSPORT666 said:
Right one of these days i am going to put together a definitive coilover info post. :) And make it a sticky. [smiley=book2.gif]

Neil didn't you have b14's on your qs? Was not aware you had fully adjustable pss9's?

Roccomax if you can wait for a week i will be fitting my pss9's to my qs. And will be posting a full report. :p Billys are the kings of coilovers...
The b14's are more to your price bracket. Same as pss9's but not fully damping adjustable.

I am going for the pss9's because i believe adjustability of damping front to rear is a good thing. And also because i am a fussy git. :) And a mechanical perfectionist. :p

Damien.
I think a sticky would be a good idea Damien :)

Would certainly save me doing the amount of [smiley=book2.gif] I'm having to do...

I've been looking at b14's as I can't justify the extra, but will certainly going with h&r arb's and defcons :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Damien, I'll look forward to your report on them but I think they sound perfect and will no doubt be brilliant. The reason I'm modding the TT is I want to sort the handling and basically I've never modified any of my cars much and think this car is perfect for it as I've been on the forum reading other members projects and loving the cars! All my previous cars have been fast but purchased that way from the dealer so never really needed much. It's going to be fun getting her to the spec I have in my head so an interesting time ahead

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Duggy said:
TTSPORT666 said:

Damien.
I think a sticky would be a good idea Damien :)

Would certainly save me doing the amount of [smiley=book2.gif] I'm having to do...

I've been looking at b14's as I can't justify the extra, but will certainly going with h&r arb's and defcons :p
John im gona be honest with you....its taken me a good while to justify going to coilovers. It was always going to be bilstein if i did...the hardest part was pss9's or b14's. The thing is, once i had done the defcons, H&R arb's and poly bushed her. I was over the moon with the setup. The ARB's stiffened my oem suspension setup to a point where i found a perfect compromise for fast road use. The jump and difference in feel to pss9's will be less than the jump to H&R ARB's and defcons. But now i decided i would like to have her a tiny bit lower and have the damping adjustability, as i want to do a lot more track days in the future. :)

Roccomax i thinks its inevitable that with the TTmk 1, they need a little work to make them really handle, and give feedback and satisfaction as a true sports car should. I really wish it had come from the factory more fun...but sadly not. But the recipe is there for enlightenment. :p

Damien.

·
Registered
240 Posts
excuse my ignorance but whats a defcon ,also i assume you guys have the blue haldex controller as thats on my list,had one on my old A3 3.2 but too many santa pod runs destroyed the prop bearing which i assume was down to the way the haldex put more power to the rear quicker (or whatever it does)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts