Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for a petrol s-tronic, 1.8-3.2L TT coupe.
I don't mind what year, however I was concentrating on any up to 2009 with a mileage of under 80k as I have a limited budget of about 12.5k. I have read that the earlier s-tronic have been rather problematic, and reliability is of upmost importance for me.

Must have: full sat nav, leather, multi-function steering
Ideal optionals: 4x4, Xenons, DRL's (LED), Alcantara, Ipod connection, MR, Electric adjustable seats, Heated seats

A full history and lower ownership is a must. However if the right manual car comes along with some of my optional extras for a lower price in a TT, TTS I will choose this over the s-tronic.

Thank you :D

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
If reliability is of utmost importance, don't go anywhere near an S-tronic. You're looking at a 5-10% chance it will break (between 1 in 10 and 1 in 20 cars develop issues) and that's an enormous proportion of cars. The only one I've not heard anything about it breaking is the new 7-speed unit in the TT-RS, which is obviously quite a rarity.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I may well be wrong, but isn't your budget gonna struggle against those requirements?
Although I guess it is a buyer's market - how's the results from autotrader and the like looking so far?

My budget was much the same 5 months ago and I got a totally standard 2007 manual coupe from an independant. Even private offerings only offered up slightly less miles and cheap extras such as ipod.
Satnav and Stronic are gonna command a more substantial premium, even on resale.

Good luck with it tho! 8)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have come across some nice manuals with the spec I want for 10-11k some with 50k mileage and even one owner.

So if these t-tronic are to be completely avoided, how does one stand with 3rd party warranties? I mean is the geabox completely dead? Surely a gearbox under regular usage shouldn't fail at all not for a few hundred thousand miles in my eyes, and if it does a warranty would cover it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Richard after reading posts here about stronics I nearly changed my mind. However I bought mine about 2 months ago and it's great fun to drive...

Remember only those who have a problem post...you never really find threads about how good the stronic can be.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
HarveyGB said:
Richard after reading posts here about stronics I nearly changed my mind. However I bought mine about 2 months ago and it's great fun to drive...

Remember only those who have a problem post...you never really find threads about how good the stronic can be.
I disagree. What you will find is absolute unanimity that the gearbox is fantastic when it works properly. But that universal approbation is tempered with the fact that a substantial number of these gearboxes develop defects. The usual line is "don't buy one without a copper-bottomed warranty".

At the moment you are posting good things about your WORKING gearbox. I'm delighted yours is one of the 90-95% of good ones. But anyone who posts saying they are primarily interested in utter reliability should not be looking for an S-tronic, surely?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
HarveyGB said:

This is true but wja96 has got it about right at 5-10% of cars experiencing problems. I am one of those 5-10% but that hasn't stopped me just purchasing a brand new 1.8TFSI S-Line S-tronic! Why, because they are fantastic when they work properly and, oh yeah, I've got a 5 year warranty just in case!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
richard- said:
I have come across some nice manuals with the spec I want for 10-11k some with 50k mileage and even one owner.

So if these t-tronic are to be completely avoided, how does one stand with 3rd party warranties? I mean is the geabox completely dead? Surely a gearbox under regular usage shouldn't fail at all not for a few hundred thousand miles in my eyes, and if it does a warranty would cover it.
The gearboxes do not fail completely. They become clunky, are difficult to drive smoothly and in some cases stop shifting. There is also a fault where there is a pronounced delay between depressing the throttle and the vehicle moving. This is very interesting at roundabouts and junctions.

You can, of course, get a warranty and get it repaired when it goes wrong. So long as your chosen car has a full Audi dealer service history you can extend the Audi warranty, even if the car has been out of warranty for a while. Ideally, buy the car from an Audi dealer to get the best warranty support.

But if you need absolute, total, complete reliability, get a manual.

·
Registered
191 Posts
wja96 said:
HarveyGB said:

I disagree. What you will find is absolute unanimity that the gearbox is fantastic when it works properly. But that universal approbation is tempered with the fact that a substantial number of these gearboxes develop defects. The usual line is "don't buy one without a copper-bottomed warranty".

At the moment you are posting good things about your WORKING gearbox. I'm delighted yours is one of the 90-95% of good onesBut anyone who posts saying they are primarily interested in utter reliability should not be looking for an S-tronic, surely?

I would agree with that...

·
Registered
106 Posts
ive recently bought an s tronic too, but although i have a year warranty from the garage, after reading all the posts it got me a bit worried. no one wants to have to pay out for something which should run as normal.
the garage i bought it from had audi service the car first and ive just noticed that it didnt include the s tronic oil and filter, how often should this be done and does it bare any relevance to issues arising?

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
The s-tronic oil should be changed every 40,000 miles if memory serves...

And no, it doesn't matter if the 'box has been properly serviced or not. A small proportion of them fail. Most warranty companies will sell you a warranty until the car has a high-ish mileage (100-120,000 miles). Even if it does go, the car is still drivable, it's just not as nice as it should be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts