Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Some time ago Wak was at my place and I opened my driver's door to look at the mileage but the dash display did not fire up. When Wak tried it later it worked. A few days after that the dash illumination again stopped working after I changed my battery. I checked the fuses (11 and 15) they both looked fine so I put them back in and hey presto the dash lit up when I next turned the ignition on.

Tonight, after an extended period of not being used (on paternity leave with daughter no2), I tried turning the car over in preparation for going back to work tomorrow. The starter barely turned the engine over, interior light dimmed and alarm chirped etc, so I jumped it from the Merc (took a while to find the battery under the rear seat!). The TT started fine but like the time of battery change I had lost dash illumination, however this time re-seating the fuses did not cure the problem.

The instruments are working just fine, the problem affects all dashboard illumination (inluding things like switches on the aircon, overhead lights, radio etc). Also the computer is not recording such things as average speed, average consumption etc although the instantaneous readings work ok.

I am pretty sure this is not the dash pod failure we all live in fear of because it is not just the pod affected, it is as though the fuse has blown for the whole dashboard illumination. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and offer advice?

Cheers, Boggie

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do! I have just replied to your email too. It seems I have fixed it as all illumination now works.

For anyone else searching for information on how to reset the instrument illumination after a flat battery, here is what I did to fix it:

1. Turn the ignition off.
2. Remove both instrument supply fuses (11 and 15).
3. Wait at least 30 seconds and put them back.

When I tried this last night I removed them 1 at a time so perhaps removing them together clears the fault. Thinking back, this was the way I cleared the issue the first time as I took them both fuses out to check them and to test power on the fuseboard terminals. This meant they were both out for a couple of minutes together with the ignition off. Whan I found no problem and put them back the problem had gone away.

Boggie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.