Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys experiencing a problem with wind noise on my drivers window towards the rear corner. Know this is quite common and usually down to a worn window seal just wanted to see if anyone has any fixes for this before I purchase a new seal.

Thanks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've noticed that on mine too but only when i'm going over a certain speed which i rather not say :roll:
Not like it happens often but would be nice to get a fix for it.

·
Administrator
33,450 Posts
Not so likely to be the seal - more likely to be the window coming loose - although it could be a combination of seal going slightly out of shape and the door shifting slightly - but you can adjust for that and don't need to buy a new seal.

Grab your window glass and waggle it then do the same with the passenger side to compare. If the driver's side glass seems loose it's just a case of tightening the glass bolts. This often happens if people push the glass to close the door.

If the glass is rigid then check the door closing body lines to see if the door has dropped or is out of line or the striker bar has worn etc., allowing the door to close slightly ajar. The striker bar can be adjusted to pull the door back flush with the body.

If all the above is Ok then you can adjust your glass position by adjusting the door sub frame position in all directions including the all important tilt inwards which presses the glass into the seal. See my sig strip "window cable" or the Mk1 Knowledge base for details - there are full adjustment details in there.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ive got the same issue so will take the advice and give them a good wiggle to see if they seem loose. Pretty horrific noise when on the motorway at the speed limit. I thought this was the seals as they seem a bit worn, see how we go!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I had a wind noise (whistle) from low speed on the driver-side. Rather than risk the above frame tightening- which I felt inappropriate anyway....

All I did was lift the seal on the rear quarter-light front and put some packing in. I found that the fine brush type door seal with self adhesive backing did the job just dandy. Its firm enough to hold the seal out and contact the glass yet pliable enough to compress and not damage the glass.

Brian

ps maybe some commenting have a dropped door and it needs re-aligning?
Also try some Gummi Pflege ( search eBay for it) on the seals to rejuvenate them.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Tritium said:
I had a wind noise (whistle) from low speed on the driver-side. Rather than risk the above frame tightening- which I felt inappropriate anyway....

All I did was lift the seal on the rear quarter-light front and put some packing in. I found that the fine brush type door seal with self adhesive backing did the job just dandy.
Thanks, also have this problem & will try your fix.

Sent from paul4281's iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies will check and try a fix I did notice it does slightly hit the door striker when shifting and cause the door to lift so believe the door has dropped a little will fix this first then carry on from there :) thanks again. If anyone fixes please update with best fix.

·
Administrator
33,450 Posts
Don't try and adjust the striker up for a dropped door though - that will only impact the door on closing. The striker adjustment is really only appropriate for pulling the door in if not flush when closed. For a dropped door due to wear at the hinges you need to tackle it there. If the door is dropped the striker bar may be correctly positioning the door vertically - just see if the body line is correct horizontally.

I've not adjusted TT hinges before specifically. Often with car doors the best thing is to replace the hinge pin. You can tell if this is worn if you can lift the door up and down with an obvious clunking play. If not worn; If there is an adjustment on the hinge bracket position this may involve cracking the paint which is best avoided if at all possible. Some manufacturers fix the hinge position with no adjustment possibility and simply bend the door slightly to achieve correct alignment - you are only flexing thin metal slightly. I'll try and look up what Audi's procedure is later for you or maybe someone knows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts