Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 TTS Coupe STronic Black Ed
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed after 7 month's ownership that the wing mirrors don't fold in symmetrically to the same angle. Don't know if it was always like this or if all TT's are the same but now I've seen it. it bugs me.

The passenger mirror folds to parallel with the glass, the driver's mirror less so. If there's a way to adjust this I'd be keen to know how!

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
This has been discussed before.

The mirror housing are not exact symmetrical mirror images. Presumably to allow for differing angle of view from drivers side seating position and accordingly different range of angles required for each side?

Im guessing, but I can only assume the designers deemed it 100% necessary, as separate parts are now required for LHD vs RHD vehicles and that costs money (even if you can just flip the parts in the CAD/CAM package).

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Actually, looking at it perhaps the housings are symmetrical, but as you can see the angles when folded out aren’t equal either…
Hood Helmet Automotive lighting Grille Automotive design

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Stands to reason that the passenger side needs a greater angle than drivers side to give the same field of view.

I expect both sides fold in by the same amounts, thus resulting in an uneven appearance when folded as well. It’s just more obvious as you have the window to compare against as a reference.

Edit: PS MK1 also has different angle of mirrors (even without auto fold option) when folded both out and in…
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Automotive side-view mirror Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Grey Carbon

Not as obvious perhaps, but passenger side definitely closer to window than drivers when folded (I measured it).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mirror housing are not exact symmetrical mirror images. Presumably to allow for differing angle of view from drivers side seating position and accordingly different range of angles required for each side?
That's it, I'm selling the car - my OCD can't deal with this lack of symmetry...

😄

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I expect both sides fold in by the same amounts, thus resulting in an uneven appearance when folded as well. It’s just more obvious as you have the window to compare against as a reference.
This is the issue for me, the fold-in angle. There's definitely room for the driver's mirror to move parallel to the glass however it stops short by some 20-30 degrees or so.

Would be great if you could snap a pic of yours when folded.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, looks the same as mine. Just one of those things I can't un-see when looking at the car straight on from the front.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How funny! I thought the same thing when I noticed it on mine a few weeks ago. Last TT didn’t have folding mirrors but I really love having them now. So handy when I’m parking on various narrow South Yorkshire streets

1 - 8 of 8 Posts