Yes without a doubt, what are you waiting for2470.59%
No - I like the UK to much38.82%
Maybe - Need to do some more research720.59%

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all

As the title suggests i have been offered a job in New Zealand, potentially starting as early as June this year but I'm not sure what to do!

The offer is a similar sort of package to what I am currently on doing a similar type of job. The company is a multinational consultancy with offices worldwide. The offer covers relocation fees and a host of other benefits.

Everyday i think i have got to get out this country and would like to experience a different lifestyle, especially with the rising costs, crime and a crap government who seam to be doing jack sh!t about it.

Don't have kids, but Dylan the Dog would have to come with us, he's a big kid himself and swear he takes more looking after that a 2 year old would :lol: So its just me, the wife and the dog.

Also would be going out on my salary and looking for a job for the wife once we get there so things could be tight for a while.

As with all this many plus and minus points as follows:

Plus
Outdoor life :p
Close to beach 8)
Weather 8)
Standard of living
Much more laid back
Schools
Health Care
Fuel equiv 70p per litre :p
Rugby on in 2011 :p

Minus
Property market is in a big boom (could be a plus as well)
Interest rates at 10%
Rental properties very difficult
Getting the dog there
Just brought a new car (deprn hit)
Friends & relatives
Income Tax at 30%

Whats your views, any experiences? Just looking for some friendly advice :?:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Go, go, go!!!!

I plan on getting away from this miserable country just as soon as the time is right for me.

Mart.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The consultancy is a multidisciplinary but mainly engineering, id be working in the Sustainable & Waste Management team, as i am a waste engineer :roll: and managing a $5m per yer contract for Manukau City.

The plan would be to go on a working visa for 2 years to see how we get on and then look for residency once were sorted on what we want longer term.

The wife is also an "environmental scientist" and feel there would be plenty of work for her too.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I would go, you have nothing to loose.

Probably wouldn't sell your house here, rent it for the duration.

I do quite a lot of recruitment work over in Aus / NZ as the moment, it is a strong growth market and the standard of living is very high.

Interesting Fact:
NZ is the furthese populated country on the planet from a potential Nuclear explosion/bomb.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jbell said:
I would go, you have nothing to loose.

Probably wouldn't sell your house here, rent it for the duration.

I do quite a lot of recruitment work over in Aus / NZ as the moment, it is a strong growth market and the standard of living is very high.

Interesting Fact:
NZ is the furthese populated country on the planet from a potential Nuclear explosion/bomb.
Best thing i dont have a house to sell so in the current climate that wont delay things, i cashed out a few years back and saved the money for a rainy day....Well a TT, S3 and Leon FR to be excat but still have a fair wedge of capital to pay the way :)

May be interested in your recrutiment skills then :wink:

Interesting fact BTW :lol:

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
I would love that sort of opportunity, NZ has a great climate and is relatively Anglicised <sp> The only downer perhaps is if you have a close family.

All those I know who have emigrated outside the EU wouldnt return to the UK. If you and Jac agree then go for it, I am sure you will not regret it.

So basically why hasnt Jac handed in her notice and why are you not packing already.

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
head_ed said:
Go, go, go!!!!

I plan on getting away from this miserable country just as soon as the time is right for me.

Mart.
Move to England then.

:wink:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
:p

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
Have you ever been?

I'm not sure I could move to many places in the world, the only places I've ever been I've thought about being able to live there were Canada (Vancouver) and New York (New York, so good they named it twice).

Lot to weigh up, but I'd be tempted if I was in your position. Not as cheap as it once was though.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mighTy Tee said:
I would love that sort of opportunity, NZ has a great climate and is relatively Anglicised <sp> The only downer perhaps is if you have a close family.

All those I know who have emigrated outside the EU wouldnt return to the UK. If you and Jac agree then go for it, I am sure you will not regret it.

So basically why hasnt Jac handed in her notice and why are you not packing already.
Cheers, i think when Jac gets back to work Monday after having a week of work she will soon be wanting to hand her notice in!

As for family, the further away from the Mother-in-law the better :lol:

Kell said:
Have you ever been?

I'm not sure I could move to many places in the world, the only places I've ever been I've thought about being able to live there were Canada (Vancouver) and New York (New York, so good they named it twice).

Lot to weigh up, but I'd be tempted if I was in your position. Not as cheap as it once was though.
Defo not as cheap. Wife has been there for 3 months doing the travel thing and loved it. She spent most her time on the South Island and were going to be based near Auckland.

Like most have said, can always come back!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
You know you really want to go mate :)

I reckon the lifestyle and outdoor activities would suit you and Jacs down to the ground (and Dylan!)

Me and Ella would miss you both though...but that's no real reason for you to stay! (When are you free btw!)

The way this country is headed I can't see any definite reason for staying.

You really don't want to look back in a few years time thinking "What if?"

You'd better be having one massive party before you go :lol: (Need to bring forward a certain Field Party!! :wink: )

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NaughTTy said:
You know you really want to go mate :)

I reckon the lifestyle and outdoor activities would suit you and Jacs down to the ground (and Dylan!)

Me and Ella would miss you both though...but that's no real reason for you to stay! (When are you free btw!)

The way this country is headed I can't see any definite reason for staying.

You really don't want to look back in a few years time thinking "What if?"

You'd better be having one massive party before you go :lol: (Need to bring forward a certain Field Party!! :wink: )
Miss you all too Paul, will certianly be one MASSIVE party, you know how i like to throw them in style :lol: Remember bonfire night ? :oops:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Spent a month there a few years ago and would move there without a doubt, only thing is the industry I am in doesn't have a great market there.

If you don't go you will always wonder what if...

You can always come home.

What a brilliant oportunity

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cuTTsy said:
Spent a month there a few years ago and would move there without a doubt, only thing is the industry I am in doesn't have a great market there.

If you don't go you will always wonder what if...

You can always come home.

What a brilliant oportunity
Cheers cuTTsy, i suppose it just that "am i doing the right thing" in the back of my mind and will it "really be what everyone says it will be" syndrome going on.

In contract negotiation at presnet so unless them is some budge it may not even happen, basically you dont get a pension contribution in NZ from the employer (thats the way i read it) and sick pay is a little different as well. Nothing major but just want a few extra ponies from them :p

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
Go.

Now i hope you dont have any silly trendy Maori tattoos as sported elsewhere here, as these may offend. :wink:

And just in case you think it's all too perfect, you should watch "Once were Warriors" one of the most powerful, disturbing and brutal films that I have ever seen.

http://finelinefeatures.com/warriors/wasynops.htm

Only a movie, but based on hardships of Maori integration into modern NZ society, and well worth a view.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
You may or may not have picked up that I'm a police officer. Over the past 5 years or so there's been quite an exodus of my colleagues moving out to either Australia, Canada or New Zealand - they've been actively canvassing for us to transfer out there and going as a cop gives guaranteed entry. So, while I have not made the move myself I can report on my former colleague's experiences.

My first comments - don't go just because you think it's shit here. That seems to be the tone of some of the more enthusiastic replies here encouraging the move, but certainly those of my colleagues who went for just that reason have turned out to be very disappointed. It's the age-old adage - the grass isn't always greener. If you go to New Zealand do it because you want to live in New Zealand - not simply because you're fed up with living here.

I've had one colleague go to Australia because he was sick of the way here in the UK we seem to roll over for immigrants - then of course found himself an immigrant in a foreign country and unwelcome! Others went because they were struggling to make ends meet paying a mortgage here but got over there and found what they saved on housing was soon lost through lower wages and higher costs of just about everything else.

Do your research. It's swings and roundabouts. Some things you will find better - other things you are going to miss. Of those who went about half have come back within a couple of years when they realised either things were not as bad here as they thought they were or that actually it's no different anywhere else.

More worryingly, some really struggled to make ends meet. One common factor from everyone is that you should not expect to be able to maintain the same standard of living. Don't be fooled by the apparently cheap housing. Financially you will be worse off - it's just a case of whether you think the potential lifestyle improvements are worth it.

And finally, go there before you decide. I've been staggered by the number of people I know who have decided to uproot their entire lives to move out to a country they have never even visited - and then found it not what they expected at all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.