Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a PS2 which I haven't touched for over 12 months but as I now have a plasma tv and decent surround sound system I thought I might see if I can get interested in gaming again.

Kind of games I like are Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Halo, Call of Duty - you get the picture.

So which is the better machine to buy, or is there nothing in it? I think I saw that the Xbox has dropped in price recently?

By the way - feel a slight sad case as I'm 39 and still thinking about console gaming :oops: :p . Anyone older than that still play?! :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I had an Xbox which I only used as a DVD player. Got rid of my 10yr old CRT for a new 32' LCD, so I thought I'd try the PS3. I got it mainly for the cheap blue-ray, which is fantastic, but the games I'd sampled are equally amazing. I would say though that my old Xbox controller is far more comfortable than the PS3 one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,711 Posts
WozzaTT said:
...By the way - feel a slight sad case as I'm 39 and still thinking about console gaming :oops: :p . Anyone older than that still play?! :?
:lol: :lol: Well in that case I must be sadder than a sad thing then as I'm 59 in a couple of months. :wink: (my excuse is that I'm young at heart!)

I've got a Wii and a PS3, totaly different machines for totaly different game play, I chose the PS3 over the Xbox because of the BlueRay player but primarily for Gran Touismo. I don't think that one console is better over the other to be honest - although I'm sure there will be many who would not agree with that. Just look at the games you want to play and see what machine they are available for and then get that machine. Of course, you could get both as both are easy to get on eBay now. :roll:

Graham
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,438 Posts
alexasTT said:
ps3 all the way 360 going backwards now that blu-ray is the winner over hd-dvd
2 questions:

1) What's that got to do with gaming?
2) "going backwards" by what metric exactly? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love_iTT said:
WozzaTT said:
...By the way - feel a slight sad case as I'm 39 and still thinking about console gaming :oops: :p . Anyone older than that still play?! :?
:lol: :lol: Well in that case I must be sadder than a sad thing then as I'm 59 in a couple of months. :wink: (my excuse is that I'm young at heart!)

I've got a Wii and a PS3, totaly different machines for totaly different game play, I chose the PS3 over the Xbox because of the BlueRay player but primarily for Gran Touismo. I don't think that one console is better over the other to be honest - although I'm sure there will be many who would not agree with that. Just look at the games you want to play and see what machine they are available for and then get that machine. Of course, you could get both as both are easy to get on eBay now. :roll:

Graham
Cheers Graham! I did see your Gran Turismo 5 Prologue thread and assumed that as you have an RS4 you're probably not 20!!
 

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
Joined
·
96,549 Posts
Hi, XBOX requires annual subscription £50 for online play & does not have wireless built in. Wireless adaptor £60.
PS3 has wireless built in & no subscription. If cost is important.
Hoggy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,438 Posts
Hoggy - I hope you're not paying £50! Amazon is £35 and RRP is only £40 for a 1 year gold subscription!

Don't forget you're getting a much enhanced on-line experience for that though. For example, forthcoming GTA IV, released simultaneously on 360 and PS3, will have extra downloadable missions available only on 360. From what I've seen of friend's PS3s, the marketplace stuff (videos, games, films) is much more mature on the 360 too.

If "cost is important" I'd suggest taking a look at the relative base cost of the console! 40Gb PS3 - £285 on Amazon right now. 120Gb 360 Elite - £250, and of course 360 ownership starts at about £150 for a core system, or £190 for a 20Gb system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
Like for like the PS3 will probably have the edge over the slightly older 360 now, but as always there will be PS3-exclusive titles and 360-exclusive titles... the only way to ensure you're not missing out on the best games is to have one of each! :p

Personally I prefer my 360 controllers as I fell a little short-changed with the PS3 ones which look and feel no different to my PS1/2 ones. Having said that, I hardly play with either because I have the Wii for "instant gratification" games and a PC for first-person shooters. Say what you like, but I still prefer a mouse and keyboard for these - I'm too old skool to re-learn how to play FPS games on a control pad! :lol:
 

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
Joined
·
96,549 Posts
Hi Clived, Yes I only paid £40 for gold sub, thought I paid £50, didn't know about Amazon though. Have 120Gb Xbox live.
Hoggy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
What you want is PS3 and Warhawk. Hours of endless mindless fun. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Hi all
my sons got a 360 and a lot of his friends have PS3's
and they are always arguing which one is the better, I think its a personal choice.
My son has played the new Rainbow six on both his 360 and his mates PS3 and he says that the 360 looked better( might have been the TV it was on) 360 games are a bit cheaper as well.
I prefer the PC myself , but thats getting a bit overlooked at the moment by game makers.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
I am a 360 kinda guy myself :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Xbox 360 is the Audi TT of the gaming world. Great performance but reliability problems :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are a lot of problems with them, so much so microsoft has extended the warranty on one type of failure to 3 years. My sons 360 just failed out of warranty for a different issue.

I'm sure the PS3 will be indestructable just like a Toyota Hilux :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all :D

Yes - as per p1tse, what's the benefit in paying extra for a larger hard drive on these machines?

Also - I hadn't particularly considered playing online. Is this an invaluable part of the 'gaming experience' these days, or do plenty of people just play with themselves (as it were :wink:)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,966 Posts
Wild Woods said:
Xbox 360 is the Audi TT of the gaming world. Great performance but reliability problems :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are a lot of problems with them, so much so microsoft has extended the warranty on one type of failure to 3 years. My sons 360 just failed out of warranty for a different issue.

I'm sure the PS3 will be indestructable just like a Toyota Hilux :lol: :lol:
I think that's slightly over exagerated :? The fact is the Xbox has sold alot more units than the PS3 and if you look at the % of units sold against warranty claims yes Xbox will be ahead but only due to the earlier console problem of which I have one with no problems. take out those initial units sold in the first 3-4 months and reliability is as good as the PS3.

I've owned both and sold the PS3 1month after buying,
online game play is better on the Xbox end off!
PS3 didn't offer me anything i couldn't get on the Xbox
cost of the Xbox is cheaper.

Don't fall for the BD hype if you want a BD player buy one if you want a console buy one :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
WozzaTT said:
Thanks all :D

Also - I hadn't particularly considered playing online. Is this an invaluable part of the 'gaming experience' these days, or do plenty of people just play with themselves (as it were :wink:)?
I hadn't even considered playing online until i tried Warhawk and i have to say i'm hooked. It just brings a new element to gaming imo. Can't comment on difference between xbox and ps3 online cos haven't tried the xbox. The fact that the PS3 is free online is a big plus though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,966 Posts
Whack01 said:
WozzaTT said:
Thanks all :D

Also - I hadn't particularly considered playing online. Is this an invaluable part of the 'gaming experience' these days, or do plenty of people just play with themselves (as it were :wink:)?
I hadn't even considered playing online until i tried Warhawk and i have to say i'm hooked. It just brings a new element to gaming imo. Can't comment on difference between xbox and ps3 online cos haven't tried the xbox. The fact that the PS3 is free online is a big plus though.
Work on the basis that XBox Live is miles ahead of the equivilent PS3 online and you can see £40 isn't alot :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top