Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last dumb question until I think of more..... :roll:

Did all TT Quattros come with Xenon lights as standard normally? Also are xenon lights a plug in replacement for halogen ones?

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. That makes the whole situation even more confusing. My car has the sensor at least for the self leveller and also seems to have the pump for the washer. Maybe I was mistaken and the headlight I have is xenon but it looked like halogen to me. I'll double check and no doubt be back with more silly questions :twisted:

Cheers,

Phil

·
Administrator
33,050 Posts
It sounds like you have HID lights then. If you take the covers off you should see the high voltage connectors like this:

You should also notice that when you turn the lights on you should get a brief bright flash (that's the high voltage starting the arc) followed by the current regulated arc which slowly gets noticably brighter over the next few seconds.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Phil_LG said:
Thanks for the info. That makes the whole situation even more confusing. My car has the sensor at least for the self leveller and also seems to have the pump for the washer. Maybe I was mistaken and the headlight I have is xenon but it looked like halogen to me. I'll double check and no doubt be back with more silly questions :twisted:

Cheers,

Phil
Xenons are very obvious on start-up, they come on dim then brighten. If you remove the light assembly you will see inside the rear of the headlight the igniter box. There is also a control box mounted outboard of the headlight assy. One way to check is to see if the low-beam bulb has wiring direct from the loom or from a control box.

If your car has 'aliens' (headlight washers) then it should have Xenons unless someone has fitted a different front bumper or different light assemblies...

I have seen the reverse... a car subjected to heavy frontal damage had a cowboy repair: a non-washer bumper fitted and both headlights replaced with (cheaper) halogens, but it still had the level sensors on passenger side front and rear and the second washer pump, but the pipe was clamped off :(

Left-hand image is non-Xenon (low-beam is #2), RH is Xenon (low-beam is #3)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.