Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m just trying to work out if the xenon internals can be taken from a headlight unit and put into a standard headlight unit…..
My current xenon (TTS) headlight is only a year old so in great shape except for a small crack in the lens / cover
I see second hand units are around the £300 mark, the standard headlight units (halogen ?) are much cheaper, is it possible to purchase one of these cheap standard units and swap my internals over into it?

I have also read on here I could buy a cheap unit and swap just the lenses over by heating in an oven to ‘breakdown’ the glue.

Any advice on this would be great, for either option.
All the best
Mike

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,517 Posts
If you do upgrade to Xenons, there's more to it than just the headlights. You'll also need to install a headlight washer kit and level sensors (x4) in order to meet the MOT requirements.
There's a UK company called HazzyDayz that can do a complete retrofit, but it's not cheap -

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
If you do upgrade to Xenons, there's more to it than just the headlights. You'll also need to install a headlight washer kit and level sensors (x4) in order to meet the MOT requirements.
There's a UK company called HazzyDayz that can do a complete retrofit, but it's not cheap -
SJP - he’s already got xenons but with a cracked glass - he wants to know if the body/lens are the same size and shape.
jez

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes thats right, they are xenons from factory so all the gubbins are there, just seeing if there’s a cheaper way of repairing than buying a full xenon unit……
Thanks for the input so far!

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I remember with Mk1 TT you could buy the lens separately and glue it on. Not sure if that's the case with Mk2...

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Aftermarket jobs.

Here too, but no TT...

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Roadster
11,517 Posts
See if this post helps -
Also, you may want to use the Search function for "headlight lens" . I know opening them up has been a topic more than once in the past.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
4,927 Posts
As others have said, a better option would be to replace just the lens. Not done it myself though so can't comment on how hard it is

1 - 11 of 11 Posts