Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have just adjusted my Xenons for driving in europe (by switching on the Tourist Option with VCDS) and the following fault is reported:

1 Fault Found:
02988 - Left-Hand/Right-Hand Traffic Switchover Active
000 - - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 26
Mileage: 51000 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2010.03.31
Time: 18:53:32

I also get a warning on the dash... but I believe that it did work. Is this fault code announcing itself just to remind me to switch them back on my return to the UK or have I incorrectly adjusted the lamps?

Cheers,
jophenna

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is from the Ross-Tech Wiki

Channel 010: Tourist Solution
When driving in countries where driving is performed on the opposite side as in the native country the headlights must be changed over to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic. When active/enabled the Fault Code 02988 will be stored.

0 = Disabled
1 = Enabled
What you are seeing confirms that the change has been accepted.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When i had mine done by an Audi garage it showed a fault.

When i queried this they said the car knows it is a right drive car so if you switch the lights over it shows a fault, I got used to it after about a week which was about the time i got back to the UK :roll:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I had no faults show up on mine when I changed them over, also I could not see any real change to the lights

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will be taking the TTS to France quite a bit over the next few years. I was interested therefore to come across this thread.

Am I right in understanding that the headlights require a dealer, or someone with a VAGCOM, to plug in and change the settings before and after each trip abroad?

If so, this is crazy - quite apart from the doubtless costs involved before and after each leg of the journey. I regularly travel through the night so unless the lights can be changed at the point of dis/embarkation I would have to drive in either the UK or France with illegal lights. Hopefully I have missunderstood how the procedure works and someone can put me right.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
You are correct in stating that you need either the mini-VAS, full VAS or VCDS to adapt the lights to Tourist Mode.

But you are not correct about having to drive illegally in the UK. Tourist Mode just adapts the beams down to the lowest setting so it does the same job as beam convertors. Your lights are still RHD pattern, they are just shortened range so they don't blind oncoming motorists on the continent.

VCDS is about £250 and it's worth every penny. Get a copy and you can adjust the headlamps at the docks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Many thanks for that quick and helpful reply. Not sure I'll keep the car long enough to justify VCDS. Probably best just to use black tape in the short run and look for someone local with a VCDS I think.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
MMI cars have an option to switch headlights over within the menu without the needs for VCDS or dealer visit. In fact I believe the new A7/A8 may do it automatically when it detects you are in a different country. Another example of technology taking ages to filter down the Audi model ranges.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
smithgor said:
Many thanks for that quick and helpful reply. Not sure I'll keep the car long enough to justify VCDS. Probably best just to use black tape in the short run and look for someone local with a VCDS I think.

I'm based in West Yorks with VCDS, happy to help if you need it just drop me a PM.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
wja96 said:
You are correct in stating that you need either the mini-VAS, full VAS or VCDS to adapt the lights to Tourist Mode.
What are these please and are any/all of them different to "VAGCOM"? :)

wja96 said:
Tourist Mode just adapts the beams down to the lowest setting so it does the same job as beam convertors. Your lights are still RHD pattern, they are just shortened range so they don't blind oncoming motorists on the continent.
...so you might do just as well with yellow or black filters then and enjoy having the normal range on your lights?

·
Registered
465 Posts
electech said:
I had no faults show up on mine when I changed them over, also I could not see any real change to the lights
When I posted the above as I said, I had no faults show up, however I have done it twice since and on both occassions VCDS has shown up fault codes plus I get a dashboard warning when i start the car up which then disappears.
On changing the lights back to the UK setting all the faults go away.

·
Registered
465 Posts
As far as I am aware You only need VCDS/Vagcom for cars with Zenons, correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
ScoobyTT said:
wja96 said:
What are these please and are any/all of them different to "VAGCOM"? :)
VAS is the big VAG dealer network connected system that isthe genuine version of VCDS. VCDS is the new name for VAGCOM, MIni-VAS is the hand-held gadget that the dealers can plug in and make simple changes eg. the way the locks work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.