Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my dream 3.2 roadster (s tronic)in the sunlight with all the spec that I wanted,went for a quick test drive to test the gearbox etc and all seemed fine....now when I got 40 miles in to my 120 mile journey home,the usual jerking take off and almost stalling when stopping occured to signify that the mechatronic unit is f**Ked....Just booked it in to local audi (Camberley) at the earliest time they could see it as obviously under the approved used warranty scheme

Now the question is,before I go mad at Tamworth audi,do I go to them or Audi CS straight away? Tamworth have obviously not done the 140 point checks correclty...therefore,other than a fixed gearbox,should I be looking for any compo or will it fall on deaf ears now they have sold the car??

Fuming to say the least! :evil:

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Sorry to hear of the hassle

I'd give them a chance to rectify the issue, but would be straight onto Audi CS if either the selling dealer or your service dealer give you any hassle at all or can't repair the fault

http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/why-buy-approved.html

All the checks and double-checks should give you real reassurance. And even further still, Audi operates a 30 day exchange policy - so in the unlikely event of an irreparable fault occurring within 30 days/1,000 miles (whichever occurs sooner) - we will offer you an exchange. This does not affect your statutory rights.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hi,

Firstly well done for buying a great model. 3.2 + roadster = :p :p

What you have explained is exactly what happened to me when I bought mine back in Feb this year. The test drive went fine but when I returned to pick the car up and drove it 40miles home it started jerking and playing up as if the car was going to stall when braking to stop. I left it for another couple of days just test and make sure but in the end it was the mech unit knackered.

I called the dealer up straight away and got it booked in. Took it in and the fault was correctly diagnosed. Naturally I went mental and demanded to have the car exchanged under the 30 day policy due to selling me a car which was not fit and clearly the 140 point check not done. The salesman was a prick and didnt want to know, he said it would get fixed with a lead time of 3 weeks under warranty. I was not happy and kicked off some more and ended up dealing with the sales manager who was a fantastic guy and offered me a replacement car.

Here's the thread viewtopic.php?f=19&t=263501

At the end of the day it really depends on what you want out of this. I kept mine and got it fixed since the car was what I wanted in terms of colour and spec. Also saw it as a blessing as now the mech unit has a 2 year part warranty. :)

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
I sympathise, but at least you'll get it fixed under warranty. I doubt you'll get very far with a compensation claim. As for the 140 point check, I think you'll find it doesn't cover very much. The whole Audi Approved thing is a bit basic, but the warranty is what you're really paying for.

I take it you didn't test drive it before you bought it?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
wja96 said:
I take it you didn't test drive it before you bought it?
In the amount of time some dealers give you for a test drive is not enough for the car to warm up to show the fault.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
The real point here though is that someone MUST have known that the fault existed, either the previous owner and/or Audi! When I bought my Mark 1 from an Independent Dealer with 3 months warranty, everything seemed okay although things struggled a bit on inclines but I just put it down to the configuartion of the box or my inexperience of driving it!! Two months after the warranty expired, the 'jumping' and 'pulsing' of revs started but by then it was all too late and I had to stump up the £2,500 to fixt it! [smiley=bigcry.gif]

However, had I known then what I know now I would have most likely spotted the potential problem right at the start although it is fair to say that the problems only generally occur when the engine is hot!! Best of luck sorting this out! :)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
ajayp said:
At the end of the day it really depends on what you want out of this. I kept mine and got it fixed since the car was what I wanted in terms of colour and spec. Also saw it as a blessing as now the mech unit has a 2 year part warranty. :)
Didnt read your original thread but did you contribute towards the repair to get a 2 year warranty?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
DPG said:
ajayp said:
Didnt read your original thread but did you contribute towards the repair to get a 2 year warranty?
No need, any part replaced via warranty has a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
I think you are being unfair, you didn't notice the issue on a test drive I'm guessing and it took 40miles for the problem to manifest itself on your way home - I'm sure if Audi did a 50/100/250/1000 miles test for drive as part of the checks for every used car people would moan like hell. They are damned if they do, damned if they dont.

Simply take a step back, take the car in for repair and as long as its free i dont see the problem to be honest.
Sorry...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Toshiba said:
I think you are being unfair, you didn't notice the issue on a test drive I'm guessing and it took 40miles for the problem to manifest itself on your way home - I'm sure if Audi did a 50/100/250/1000 miles test for drive as part of the checks for every used car people would moan like hell. They are damned if they do, damned if they dont.

Simply take a step back, take the car in for repair and as long as its free i dont see the problem to be honest.
Sorry...
Totally and strongly disagree.

Firstly, Audi should test their used cars correctly and in more detail against known issues. Only after this put them on the forecourt - simple!

Secondly, The purpose of a test drive is exactly that, to test the drive of the car and get a feel for it. It is NOT the responsible of a buyer to try and find defects while taking a car on a test drive. Hence there is no need for a 50/100/250/1000 mile test drive.

This is the whole point of buying from a dealer, peace of mind, throughly checked and approved cars.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
The DSG "issue" only appears AFTER 40miles based on the OPs car - so unless "AUDI" not the eventual buyer does a XXX(number of random miles base on each and every individual car - or maybe just 1k just in case!) mile test drive how do you expect them to find it? No errors are reported in the system when plugged into VAS.. I've had many DSG cars and i can tell you from my experience there is NO pattern to it. Sometime i could drive 200miles and no issues, next time i'd go to the shop and it was a bitch.

I dont see ANY way a dealer could find it.
I'd say the SELLER has responsibility to report it at point of sale - but that's never going happen for fear of impact its trade value.

So i respect you disagreeing with my drunken post, but i disagree with your retort..
A test drive is like you say to test how the car drives....

Same end result - Audi should fix it under warranty.
I'm not looking for an argument, i just think the dealers get loads of stick when "some" of it is not that clear cut.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Don't let this issue distract from the new car. In fact you should be happy - you get a brand new mechatronic unit with a 2 year warranty so you know you won't have any issues for the rest of your ownership. Ask for something extra for the inconvenience (eg a free service). Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
22 Posts
as mentioned above,
have the car repaired under warranty with the new unit fitted with 2yr part warranty and enjoy your new car :)
although make sure you get a courtesy car for the full length of the repair and ask for free servicing for the inconvenience :wink:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Tamworth Audi are THE worst dealership I've ever come across. had a lot of problems with them myself!

they are SO unprofessional, when I had a problem with my car, the salesman said he was annoyed with the service department for not picking it up and would not speak to the service department because he was so annoyed with them! absolute joke. Complaining to Tamworth is a waste of a phone call. the combined IQ of their staff is in the single figures.

if its an expensive job, then it will likely have to go back to the dealer where you purchased it from (tamworth audi). I'd get it checked in at your local audi to let them have a look first though, and they will recommend what is required, and can also log all faults, which helps with a case. if its a lot i'd get your money back with the 30 day policy and walk away

·
Premium Member
27,106 Posts
Reading the buyers guide for the DSG will give a basic guide on what to look out for but sometimes cak happens which only shows up later. JP can only do so much and and the seller should be truthfully in there description.
At least a warranty will help.
Steve

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Toshiba said:
The DSG "issue" only appears AFTER 40miles based on the OPs car - so unless "AUDI" not the eventual buyer does a XXX(number of random miles base on each and every individual car - or maybe just 1k just in case!) mile test drive how do you expect them to find it? No errors are reported in the system when plugged into VAS.. I've had many DSG cars and i can tell you from my experience there is NO pattern to it. Sometime i could drive 200miles and no issues, next time i'd go to the shop and it was a bitch.

I'd say the SELLER has responsibility to report it at point of sale - but that's never going happen for fear of impact its trade value.

So i respect you disagreeing with my drunken post, but i disagree with your retort..

I'm not looking for an argument, i just think the dealers get loads of stick when "some" of it is not that clear cut.
I have to agree if it only shows up after 40 miles Audi could have easy taken it for a "test" and thought it was fine. As long as they fix it and you then get peace of mind all is good in the end. Not nice to go though this pain from your pov.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry,this 40 mile figure I punted out there is a bit of a red herring,I left the dealer,straight on to a dual carriageway and then motorway,the first time I was held in stop/start trafiic it occures (which happened to be 40 miles from dealer and hence wasnt going to double back as it was around 5pm).....

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I know from my own experience with mechatronic failure in my last TTS that it is highly likely you could drive 10, maybe 15 miles and not be aware of a problem. Not until you've covered 20+ miles might issues start to become noticeable and possibly only when, as you say, you crawl in traffic.

I had driven my TTS before from Eastbourne to Brighton and only noticed a very slight hesitancy when it came to parking up in Brighton. Again driving from Eastbourne to north of London, completely happy driving all the way until I hit stop-start traffic within moments of joining the M25 (as you do) when immediately I was aware of serious problems with fluctuating revs, lurching and juddering when crawling in 1st/2nd gear.

New mech unit solved everything.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Toshiba said:

Tosh, i am not looking at an arguement either but i have experianced this first hand. An when you have just bought a car spending decent money from the brand dealer only to find a well known issue present, it is upsetting.

The DSG does not happen after 40 miles. The OP witnessed this at that mileage and so did I the first time. This was only the case since I had driven 39 miles from the dealer home on a motorway in 6th gear. The issue showed up when i came off the motorway and slowed down to pull up or when pulling away. There is NO set mileage when this issue will happen.

The DSG issue will show as soon as the car has warmed up an in some cases before. Mainly in slow start stop traffic, again not mileage dependent. After my journey home I tested it locally leaving the car running getting it up to temp then driving. Each time the issue showed up. On a normal commute to work which was 12 miles down the M4 it would show up before joining the M4 and leaving the M4.

Again it is clearly the dealers duty to identify know issues and certainly not a buyers job to hunt around for defects. If time is an issue then either check throughoy once a car has been sold or simply don't bother boasting about a 144 point check!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.